What's new

Cookie

Professional
Reaction score
Hi guys, i have this connector on the factory wiring for my Namco Exceleena cabinets. It's an extra kick harness for buttons 4 and 5 wired into the the Jamma harness. The problem is, I don't have the female end and i'm trying to track down what connector it is so I can make up some nice wiring harnesses for my control panel.

I can find 6 pin molex connectors, but none of them are the same as this... i've looked through many many google images trying to track it down but can't find another picture of this type.

You have to take note of the shapes of the pins. Middle row has square, and there's a square on each left and right side as well, very different to all the molex connectors i can find. It may not even be molex branded?

Any ideas? Anyone know where to get what I need? Or a part number? The part in the picture is the end I have on the cab, the housing.

THANKS!

molex6.jpg

Looks like 172159-1 TE AMP 6P?

Last edited:
I don't know why, but perhaps TE is not using the AMP name very heavily at this point.

Common brands of connectors for arcades seem to be JST and AMP, so I figured it was likely one of those. I don't know for sure, but I'm thinking Molex would not typically be found in use in a cab if you were exclusively searching them.

Common brands of connectors for arcades seem to be JST and AMP, so I figured it was likely one of those. I don't know for sure, but I'm thinking Molex would not typically be found in use in a cab if you were exclusively searching them.
JST and AMP are both Japanese (AMP was bought by TE). No real surprise Japanese cabs have Japanese made connectors.

Here’s what I do to identify connectors. I may do a vid on it, but it’s ALWAYS worked.

Get some digital calipers...they are necessary. You can get them cheap on Amazon.

First identify how many rows the connector has. In your photo it’s (2). Rows are measured across.

Second determine how many “positions” the connector has. This is the nomenclature to denote the number of pins. In your photo it’s (6)

third use the calipers to determine pin pitch. Measure the distance between the center of one pin to the center of the neighboring pin...horizontally across a row.

Go to digikey and use their connector finding tool

enter in rows, enter in positions, and enter in pin pitch. You can also tell if it you want male or female (but if you find male and click the product page it’ll give you the mating product as well)

99.9% of the time it’ll eliminate everything except what you are looking for. Maybe it won’t be in stock but I’ve yet to NOT find the connector I need that way.

Back