What's new

KaPH33n

Champion
Reaction score
So I bought a BBH game in a mysterious conversion cab? When I got it home and took a look I could see that it was actually a Primal Rage Upright cabinet. I am planning to do a deconversion, with reproduction arts.

But first... The problems.
  1. No PR PCB
  2. Monitor is dead, already a replacement makvision
  3. some kind of switcher loose floating around in the bottom of the cab
  4. holes in the cab where the shotgun holder was installed, not a big deal
  5. control panel needs some work or replacement.
  6. all of the art needs to be purchased and installed.

So I am partially on my way. I purchased a PCB on eBay, but now I need to build the audio harnesses. They look like .156 and .100 IDC connectors? So I assume I can use IDC or KK connectors to build that wiring? Can anyone confirm what the audio power and signal harness cable connectors should be? The PCB did not include the metal mounting plate so I will need to figure that out too.

I am going to hook up the audio via jamma mono. The cabinet itself is an original Primal Rage cab (I found the serials), but it doesn't have the CAGE audio setup. It's not stereo and there is no subwoofer. I think making this cab a Primal Rage cab on the outside but a generic jamma cab on the inside makes the most sense...

I will try to get some pictures up as I go... I saw on KLOV there is basically the exact same thread with a guy doing an extreme hunting deconversion to primal rage! So that gives me a lot of hope.

====================
edit: History of the cab
====================
I purchased the non-working cab at auction, for a fair price imo $50 + fees and tax. https://bramsey.hibid.com/lot/65258750/big-buck-hunter-by-incredible-technologies

The auction was held by Bill Ramsey using hibid as the software side of controlling bids. I don't want to get into a whole rant about Bill Ramsey, but I don't think I will be buying anything from his auctions again. Even with the very good deals I got last time. However, for the sake of the history of this cab I will mention the details about this particular machine. The machine was sold As Is. It was described through photographs as having a locked coin box and coin door area. As seen in the pictures he took, which was the only information shown about the items (there was no live video feed like with Captain's auctions).
img.axd

When I got to the auction pickup location the locks had been drilled out and there were metal shavings all over the foot pedestal area. Not all of the machines looked drilled, but I did notice shavings in front of some of the others. I am sure that while they were arranging the machines for pickup they heard quarters sloshing and drilled out the locks. This photo was taken the day of pickup, at their location.
NIqT3u7928yrMqfEYkJqxsbxRrNevnLEg1jmctLBT4-GpwRXmmOCjjIHyxRCxF1D85IUXcsECCZX6o7RXDM_oswKGk8Se7A_dIZfq1yekjHdGxtyOm0oBYkio1d4cZ-G5Ojrpzim_ww7mHq4CmpKtoZ_MXvRQPm_7lCiRc-OsWqiZoBIaw86QxIAuo7QYGEw2m_kJTc1yrxDNoYOhKzCDbeMgZz2OlI3ihRc783jrIOb-_bUzGBFZr8ulW45s5306ogyqE5ghS4YhKoBkbOKttkQEPyuEuXhX4wHNmXwLmwdw5NGdNwq_E2TBu7n6ySFkdIVqk-7b1gBHcxFl6uXXRucWqHr8EzbkDD30D7eOmLYLpWTKNG8bavSItLtaXwbFGrHCbwY-prt3GklOz1LCo-8N4gujLzUUZRuFDD2vnnl4qiWuINXbGjFfhqPAFjRTdQGLsazP9sY1Je0Q4eTklGa-mrLSkRnykiMRN-R1ea3aadG667BMj4sPc96y8hUfPDY5yPRpmEkVeqRfSJMpnGQy59cjszYm8TAqpIcPTXGyw4kW7rzBNi2ruAFuXNrgtSa4ZLNEZfCMjl3Q1r1ujjCPUo-NO805KFwhOzlgWEJoN0vmJNY2fc1bTo0c7x6UBgPkALWFmeN2pivSRUZpib0FYbIXoUPe1bjfWUZRi_HqvzaEgMOv3I552n57sZ0gTR1DqI=s1296-w974-h1296-no

Now when you're buying something at auction you're taking a risk. I don't care what it is, even a dead bug should not be removed from the auction contents after it has been sold. Not by the seller, not by the auctioneer, not by anyone. The fact that they vandalized my property and stole money from me is reason enough to never shop from them again. Let alone there were numerous other shady things that happened.

Once I got the machine home I looked inside the back of the machine and there was about $10 in quarters in the bottom. BBH may not be a very popular game here or amongst serious gamers... but believe me they do earn. As I was going through the machine I found the serial numbers, quite low!
ACtC-3e0-Qv7oZ-z-Rh0Tx5inmD99BHFI--lNpCYWroe-hVMoMHNJp6ZnSyASbxIcB4xfYUhMy1ThBvboc_6jNqVubq72Dje57EQbFhIrFR-cs9nWL5q8pGBA-hLJWMsbQj_Vgt97vJTMTcnRYA1L29sQmdJgQ=w974-h1296-no

Are there other cabs that are made by Atari and start with PRU? I just assumed it's Primal Rage Upright? Do any other PR cab owners have serials they would like to share? or possibly Primal Rage USA?

When I looked at the control panel under the BBH sticker there's a 2L8B remnants. This cab is not set up with the CAGE stuff (no stereo, no subwoofer). From what I can see there is a single mono speaker mounted in the top and the wood is cut out to match. My cab does not have an offset coin box area with a subwoofer panel on the right, it has a centered coin box area. I am guessing that they did a small run of very basic primal rage cabs in the beginning and then did a run of the full stereo cabs? or maybe they just were using up whatever they had left in the warehouse?
ACtC-3efhFxzAjam26G0eiUt-E1PYOhFif5-8NIY_JClK6dPIuWLleK3zhMg8LaQqhvG0056eGzwnoaWA1sAHEFhXNrwqVc94anadzYRxI5g0xwLe-dsytkZfasC-GXO17w2VfcvMy3v8auHG-IrtFqNXZIxWw=w1728-h1296-no

The PCB I purchased for the cab has blue stickers, which I believe is the 2.0 version? I will probably try to upgrade to 2.3 at some point?
ACtC-3f2mtLmY5jFRLPzVuqkcMmPFBQPR3_4q-AyfY5NbQD-D3EeM13N26_HrXXehQJWT0XsAycocC0apQ9eLwVOCFpnqer9KpLs9EIE7A7-5ARmIqJ3quhGRF-xJoOUbu1ZVOuAg6_G2KtjuzyqCwX9tTkw5w=w1728-h1296-no

Last edited:
Received my KK series .156 and .100 connectors/pins today from digi-key. I whipped together some bootleg audio cables based on the photos in the primal rage supergun thread.

ACtC-3eshfNXYExIivIdjS-MGIMx54JY71FWxxrOLjezfDYt681gnP9fRecLvOkFRzFRocdhBHbezF45uoz426_ahNHTl960m5SoikDUd318tqiVq39ckSzaNPbxV67XFmzaQAddsQnapLE4T5s2VfCNsannOg=w998-h1330-no

Can't wait to get this mounted into the cabinet... going to wait until I can copy the metal pcb tray from a friend's. Unless anyone has one for sale?

Next steps for me are to order new controls for the game... then get everything mounted in the cab. I need to figure out a new monitor solution for it but I got something in the works.

Once I have it running and playable I will purchase the reproduction art kit. from escape pod. Has anyone ordered from them before? Quality any good?
https://www.escapepodonline.com/col...products/primal-rage-complete-restoration-kit

I took some more pics and uncovered more info.

I am less certain about my "warehouse using up leftovers" theory. Although, not feeling conclusive yet one way or another.

First there's some stickers on the back, and some that are covering other stickers? Not sure if some of these came with BBH or if they're all atari stickers? Can the Revision lettering help to trace the time of production or not really?
ACtC-3dBACxyBVLMj26WaveSYf2Wo7fxNNJWHeP1OBKS1jJ0OsXe4KykjKpXNCPUAu0YBbSSqs2ce-6MiN6f3439uP1JGb6iPAXlboIpYfyspjvwngGReEsL9p6L0DQRHWagZ5bqyA3pBhae478ANfNmj4GiAQ=w1774-h1330-no

ACtC-3dPm5LzebJAy_2NlnDBfgiTwL-_Y-UpXX_zSxekpt4EvyB_r4bxymcrHCv1IJwRw5pg269cmfRYjlQqeSB9skKVuIgE2nSBHEY3PwqBxIVk39U9duoGUp1EBP7OoumtqQiOylVLlgqcDHXO2BksoKJOAg=w1774-h1330-no

Here is a picture of what the inside of the fold out control panel looks like. It appears to be a 2 joystick 2 button game originally? There is paint remnants inside the button holes as well as a different shape with reliefs for snap in buttons. 3 of the button holes per side are drilled.
ACtC-3c4buRfZBMHFR9yVwI3xtKACZ5jzSlK-6-gnqYefCsYOMtX4uXrfNx8Ew8OfPpnn3GUVnxqsX4t3lkMMOds1SstGBexKMhK2f8U5EtsVe7pfpJu7mHGyosPb2flJUVR3njTKN_Qk1NwWyjjJZh4YMF7tQ=w1774-h1330-no

As I started to peel away the control panel overlay it revealed an old CPO underneath. It looks to me like the primal rage kit CPO?
ACtC-3d7-pRiFx51-ZDp9D6bx7E8gUPfED2eDJ1fohyGusRZY0dClzwx7zEr0aTCKDMxvBJs5lNX44lLfEvZDH7D9Uej-TeGdWNadGCsQX3aMDxtRTAdEFrzeaxGjmjEys9o4-NtZKpQf_m3S3MtCDMt1KxDow=w998-h1330-no

Similar to this? Possibly installed upside down?
1181242153107.jpg

I wanted to keep going with the control panel but it wasn't coming off as easily. Going to go back at it again tomorrow with a hair dryer or something. Nonetheless I think I will still turn this cab into a primal rage, and I am having fun uncovering the mysteries of the machine.

Back