What's new

KOarcade

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

First of all, a BIG thanks to all that help this site grow. This site has helped a grown kid/man fulfill his arcade dreams.

Okay, let's get to business. The Naomi Question:

Does anyone know if a Dreamcast Lightgun will work with a Naomi for House of the Dead 2 and other lightgun games via a Dreamcast install controller port? I am interested in creating my own ports from a totally broken DC. I know there are the Maples Controller ports available here but I would like to verify first before doing all of the wiring, handy work and weighting my options.

I understand the keyboard works spot on for Typing of the Dead, however, its dictionary is in Japanese so English is kind of out of the question. Granted I have read there are people working on getting an English version established. I know Sega has official lightguns for the Naomi 1/2 but I have some Dreamcast lightguns lying around and was wondering it they could be put to use against some zombies.

Thanks again for everyone's help and knowledge in advance. :thumbsup:

I am 99% sure the maple bus only works for DC controllers/VMU and keyboard. No other special controllers (guns, wheels, etc.) are supported.

I'd love it if I'm wrong on that, but I'm pretty sure that's how it is.

Thanks for the reply. I guess since I have the parts to make it happen. I might try it out this weekend and see what happens. Worst case, I am standing in front of the screen point plastic at glass.

thanks,

Unfortunately, the Naomi lightgun tech is different to the lightgun tech used on the Dreamcast, so Naomi games almost certainly won't read any DC lightgun inputs.

Naomi cabs use light sensors in the monitor bezel to detect hit locations, see https://scontent-lga3-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/12519131_1216653208398699_340788718_n.jpg.

The Dreamcast versions of these games had rewrites to make them work with the other method used since a few generations prior, where the screen flashes black-on-white upon pulling the trigger and the sensor detects information from this flash to work out where you're aiming (not sure what its name is).

The only way you could use your cab here is to hook up a Dreamcast via the VGA adaptor and use the home versions. I hear that can work, but when I tried it I wasn't able to make the lightguns (official Sega ones at that) work properly on a Sanwa 29E31S using a Blaze VGA adaptor, so YMMV.

Also, the thread about making an English version of Typing of the Dead, with a downloadable ROM, is here. Not perfect yet, but more playable than in Japanese...

Back