What's new
Yeah I think the crazy sync isn't working with the display. I know the game is running but the display never turns on. I don't think messing with the dips affects RRV either, do they?

It seems that the P model has no USB ports and was sold in Europs- FUNCTIONALLY it should be identical, or very close.
It is likely to support the NX bios versions I've dumped, but without one on hand to test, I admit that I can't verify this for certain.

It seems that the P model has no USB ports and was sold in Europs- FUNCTIONALLY it should be identical, or very close.
It is likely to support the NX bios versions I've dumped, but without one on hand to test, I admit that I can't verify this for certain.
Thank you. I will try!

So, I have at home a NEC 1970NXp (white, without USB).
MODEL: L194HR

I have to check your BIOS!

F/W ID C19SAP10
F/W VER. 1.1.13

and for fun :
HOURS RUNNING
ON 9932H 17M
OFF 65535H 34M

Last edited:
grr.. another black model when i keep ordering white ones...so much for newegg having any more of them now.. i apparently ran them out yesterday :( ... and STILL dont have a white model...

if anyone has a white NEC LCD **70 series, I've got a nice new old stock soundbar...
:D

So, I have at home a NEC 1970NXp (white, 220V, without USB).

F/W ID C19SAP10
F/W VER. 1.1.13

and for fun :
HOURS RUNNING
ON 9932H 17M
OFF 65535H 34M
So... does it accept 15k and 5k correctly?
also if you plan to reprogram the eprom, can you share it?

So, I have at home a NEC 1970NXp (white, 220V, without USB).

F/W ID C19SAP10
F/W VER. 1.1.13

and for fun :
HOURS RUNNING
ON 9932H 17M
OFF 65535H 34M
So... does it accept 15k and 5k correctly?also if you plan to reprogram the eprom, can you share it?
5K? What's that? First version ever of PONG? :D :D :D I guess you meant 25k :)

So... does it accept 15k and 5k correctly?also if you plan to reprogram the eprom, can you share it?
Tested with a Naomi 1 : 31K OK (yes, nothing amazing here)

15K shows an picture, but has troubles
monitor menu: 640x240, H 15.8KHz, V 59.0Hz
there's the bottom of the picture on top of it, and a strange duplicate bars in the center.

I will modify this firmware, I'll test after for 25KHz (with a Sega Model 3 game).

For Darksoft : I have no 5Khz game to test, too. :P

Tested with a Naomi 1 : 31K OK (yes, nothing amazing here)
15K shows an picture, but has troubles
monitor menu: 640x240, H 15.8KHz, V 59.0Hz
there's the bottom of the picture on top of it, and a strange duplicate bars in the center.
Sounds about normal then for one needing downgrade.
If you do decide to downgrade to 1.1.10, please share your rom :)

also, yes, 25k (stupid keyboard)

Reading Service Manual, it seems it needs a special hardware on top of the software to program the firm.

if you desolder the PLCC32 eeprom, you can reprogram it with a normal eprom burner and then solder it back.
I you can't its possible that you can find someone who can assist if you need this conversion done.

here's the contents of the eeprom that would downgrade it to 1.1.10 to support 15/25k
Verified GOOD:
F/W ID C59SLP10
F/W VER. 1.1.10
View attachment NEC_LCD1970NX_1.1.10_C59SLP10.zip

A suggestion for calibrating the color on an LCD1970** :

When changing the firmware, it appears that the factory color balance settings are lost.
To fix it:

1) Display a calibration image on the screen (I used the "RGB.png" attached)

2) Enter Service Mode
A. Press the "MENU" key to open OSM menu.
B. Open Information menu.
C. Press "SELECT"+"RESET".
D. The Warning Message will be shown.
E. Then press "SELECT" to enter the Service Mode.

3) Open Page 2 menu.
A. Press “DOWN” or “UP” to move cursor to AUTO CONTRAST.
B. Press, “SELECT“ for auto balance.

5) Press the “MENU” key twice to exit Service Mode and the OSM Menu.

RGB.png

UPDATE!

So the topic of the lame GBS converter popped up on KLOV and the person was looking to for an LCD replacement on a 25KHz game... so I suggested he try to find a suitable LCD that simply supported 25KHz rather than using a converter.

I linked to this thread and my spreadsheet and another user on KLOV went and tested a whole bunch of monitors.
https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showpost.php?p=3574852&postcount=36

He found a couple of good ones.
apparently the Acer S240HL (24in 16:9 LCD) is a low cost model that Walmart still caries and supports both 15KHz and 25KHz.

and the Sony Bravia KDL-32L5000 (32in HDTV) supports 25KHz which is great for a larger sized screen to use with racing games.

Thanks for the link I've added some that were on that chart but missing from mine.

FYI, Newegg has "B grade" refurb LCD1970NX's on sale right now.
Ordered 3 over the weekend, and got (2) NX's - great shape- some case scuffing, but lcd is in great shape, and sadly (1) VX - NON IPS

Returning the VX for replacement- they're pretty understanding.

Seems I spoke too soon and the offer is gone - oh well
FYI, the two I did get that ARE NX models are 1.1.12 so I'll have to downgrade them of course, but I've had relatively good luck with their refurbs so far overall.

Yipeekiyaaa!!! Had no idea this thread existed.

In any case, I have a ton of 4x3 NEC Multisync monitors crawling around at work. They are litterally thrown into the recycle bins on each floor. They are just sitting there as everyone has long since moved over to laptops and anyone that has an external monitor uses it for spreadsheets. I am going to swoop up a few of those and test them.

As for what I can contribute, a Samsung 204B can sync just enough to 15khz through VGA so that you can complete CRT Emu setup. Image is too unstable at 15khz to use as a display however.

EDIT: Actually, I have a Test Pattern Generator. I'll just fashion a harness for the TPG while at work using one of these and test them while I am at work. Saves the trouble of lugging them to and from work.

61S9wq7i8AL._SL1100_.jpg

Last edited:
What's that thing? Terminals connected to a DB15HD? I need a couple of those

Back