What's new
I just read your post but hadn't built the adapter yet, I figured I have some time I'll do it now. built the adapter and then realized that the 9V in my TPG is dead and I don't have any spares... so I'll pick some up later today and report back.

Hi, just got an 1970NX for use with mu Amiga 1200 and got mixed results.
It does 15khz but only 240p, jet i would need 288p for nice over-scan.
Was wondering if we could build a suitable panel with an LCD controller board with nice RGB inputs?
I was searching Ali express but am not that knowledgeable, perhaps something like

Regards

I just read your post but hadn't built the adapter yet, I figured I have some time I'll do it now. built the adapter and then realized that the 9V in my TPG is dead and I don't have any spares... so I'll pick some up later today and report back.
What's the word brutha? JAMMA RGB compatible or can we write it off?
Hi, just got an 1970NX for use with mu Amiga 1200 and got mixed results.
It does 15khz but only 240p, jet i would need 288p for nice over-scan.
Was wondering if we could build a suitable panel with an LCD controller board with nice RGB inputs?
I was searching Ali express but am not that knowledgeable, perhaps something like

Regards
Sorry man, I think the idea here is we find a monitor that can accept the signals we need rather than make some mods. Right now, seems the search continues.

What's the word brutha? JAMMA RGB compatible or can we write it off?
I built the harness but something's wrong with tester, It wouldn't produce an image on my LCD so I tried it on a few good working arcade CRTs and it didn't work there either. Replaced the battery and still nothing.

Well let me try to create a fpga lcd driver for amiga and well see if you like the result... hopefully will convert this monitor to something usefull :)

I take it this list hasn't been updated in a while? I'm looking for an 19 inch monitor or TV that supports 15Khz VGA but the ones on the list don't seem to be made anymore.

I take it this list hasn't been updated in a while? I'm looking for an 19 inch monitor or TV that supports 15Khz VGA but the ones on the list don't seem to be made anymore.
I was working with what monitors my buddy has at his office to setup his MAME PC's. He had 3 crusty LCD's laying around. They all ended up displaying 15khz signals well enough to get the job done for installing CRT Emu. Heck, even my Dell UP3011 displayed CRT Emu's 15khz signal which was shocking.

Just grab any LCD that has analogue VGA input. I would say, you have a 1-in-3 or 4 chance of getting lucky. That has been my experience.

Finally found a monitor for my bench that perfectly syncs 15khz and upwards direct via RGB through the VGA connector. No line sync adaptor, no convertor... Direct RGBS from the JAMMA edge.

Model: Acer G237HL
23" IPS monitor

This is perfect for me to work on boards as I needed a Tri Sync and didn't feel like planting a huge 29" tube on my bench.

Thanks to my mate Skylersz for running tests up at his end.

SbHKHUL.jpg

h2TMxkc.jpg

bc6MUkx.jpg

X5CQl5r.jpg

Last edited:
Finally found a monitor for my bench that perfectly syncs 15khz and upwards direct via RGB through the VGA connector. No line sync adaptor, no convertor... Direct RGBS from the JAMMA edge.

Model: Address G237HL
23" IPS monitor

This is perfect for me to work on boards as I needed a Tri Sync and didn't feel like planting a huge 29" tube on my bench.

Thanks to my mate Skylersz for running tests up at his end.

Will add some pics soon.
You mean Acer?
Tried it with anything with weird sync rates?

Sorry edited the post (autocorrect).

I've tried it with a bunch of boards. Anything specific in mind and if I have it I'll test it.
Tested with Super Off Road (syncs at 17khz), Big Buck Hunter COTW (syncs at 26khz) and every other 15khz game works.

Last edited:
Sorry edited the post (autocorrect).

I've tried it with a bunch of boards. Anything specific in mind and if I have it I'll test it.
Tested with Super Off Road (syncs at 17khz), Big Buck Hunter COTW (syncs at 26khz) and every other 15khz game works.
Can you try a CRT Emu hacked PC for MAME if you have such a box handy?

So I see a few Acer G-series monitors in my area for cheap. I am going to bet that they all have the same sync circuitry. Will go pick one up tomorrow and mess around with it.

@Holy-snes, what pin do you have C-Sync connected to on the VGA connector? Pin 13 or 14?

@Holy-snes the pics help now that you’ve added them, there are weird ones in there! Would love to see a sub 59hz refresh rate work. Try mortal kombat, MK2, rtype, dodonpachi, raiden. If you have a pcb list anywhere I could look at that, might be easier.

Ok it seems this monitor has met it's match.
I don't have any of those boards currently, but I have a Raiden 2 which I just tested and 'input not supported'. I think what I'll do is have a VGA convertor set up and use that for boards that aren't supported for this monitor. That's if they sync with those crappy convertors.
Is there a list of these 'sub 59hz' games? And is it only sub 59hz?

Sony made a bunch of LCD monitors with 15khz support. Most were around the time LCDs were being bought to replace CRT video monitors. The EDTV era.

- The Sony LMD 2020
- LMD 2010
- LMD 1410
- LMD 1420

These ones were 4:3 and native 640x480 so old 15khz consoles look OK on them without needing additional scalers. They aren't that rare on ebay although the 20" tends to cost a lot more.

There are a bunch of other 4:3 and 16:9 LMD models made as video monitor replacements for their PVM line that have 15khz support but wit other native resolutions. Their 768p and 1080p panels will display 15khz but it won't look nice without a scaler.

Also, I have a Sony PS3 monitor (the 3d one) and it supports 15khz at least through it's component video port. I only tried 480i sources but I suspect 240p would work.

I have one of the LMD 14" and it looked good in 240p for many systems via RGB via BNC. It had a hard time syncing with my Seibu boards, but I wasn't surprised. However, through RGB from my supergun, the picture was washed out, unlike the PVMs I've tried.

Ok it seems this monitor has met it's match.
I don't have any of those boards currently, but I have a Raiden 2 which I just tested and 'input not supported'. I think what I'll do is have a VGA convertor set up and use that for boards that aren't supported for this monitor. That's if they sync with those crappy convertors.
Is there a list of these 'sub 59hz' games? And is it only sub 59hz?
Thanks for trying! I’m not surprised, there are a few boards that are just awful for sync. Sometimes even my small pvm complains! Most LCDs don’t have a chance, but you could couple them with something that buffers the frame rate to 60hz for universal compatibility. Wouldn’t be great for gameplay but fine for a test bench.

Still this monitor is a good find!

Anyone looking for a genuinely good image for old games should obviously avoid flat screens entirely. LCDs have a fixed pixel pitch so they can't switch resolutions like a CRT. Nothing can change that. The best any LCD can do is take all those obscure arcade resolutions and scale them to fit their native pixel pitch. Scaling of any sort is always a compromise.

The question is about which flat screens can display old games, If the question is "which will produce a good image from old CGA or EGA PCBs, the answer is "none of them, without external help".

If a flatscreen is the only option, my advice would be to buy an LG Oled and invest in a decent external scaler. I use CRT monitors for everything CGA, EGA and VGA but I have a 77" LG Oled in my living room. The LG Oled produces the best image combined with acceptable lag in game mode out of all the flatscreen options. It will display a 15khz 480i image via it's composite video port too (although it looks terrible).

Like CRT, Oled lights pixel phosphors individually so the tech does a decent job of replicating the crt glow and contrast. It's still inferior to CRT for motion blur though and you can't use interpolation to help that in game mode.

Anyone looking for a genuinely good image for old games should obviously avoid flat screens entirely. LCDs have a fixed pixel pitch so they can't switch resolutions like a CRT. Nothing can change that. The best any LCD can do is take all those obscure arcade resolutions and scale them to fit their native pixel pitch. Scaling of any sort is always a compromise.

The question is about which flat screens can display old games, If the question is "which will produce a good image from old CGA or EGA PCBs, the answer is "none of them, without external help".

If a flatscreen is the only option, my advice would be to buy an LG Oled and invest in a decent external scaler. I use CRT monitors for everything CGA, EGA and VGA but I have a 77" LG Oled in my living room. The LG Oled produces the best image combined with acceptable lag in game mode out of all the flatscreen options. It will display a 15khz 480i image via it's composite video port too (although it looks terrible).

Like CRT, Oled lights pixel phosphors individually so the tech does a decent job of replicating the crt glow and contrast. It's still inferior to CRT for motion blur though and you can't use interpolation to help that in game mode.
I don't think you've understood the point of this thread. this is about finding monitors for testing purposes. I could give two shits what the image quality is like. it's about finding a cheap, compact and light weight 15khz monitors for use on a test bench or to throw in with your tools when helping a friend diag their machines.

Back