What's new

Joko3

Enlightened
Reaction score
SOLUTION: Bought a RCA Remote, model RCRN03BE and used the Toshiba code 11524. Turn on the OSSC holding BTN1, and then push all the buttons on the RCA remote that the OSSC tells you to. Done. I tried to make the remote that came with the OSSC learn the commands from the now working RCA remote, and it would not work. I watched three different YouTube videos of people making that remote learn commands, and was doing the same thing as them. I guess the remote just became garbage somehow. Who'd think $2 Ali Express garbage sold at a profit would be unreliable?

Please see the linked YouTube video at the bottom of the post. I am doing the BTN1 boot process as outlined here http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?title=OSSC#Remote_control_setup ; I am pushing TV to ensure the remote is in OSSC mode, and the remote LED will blink, but the green LED on the OSSC stays on. The LED display says "Press 1". I am pushing 1 but no dice. If I hold the "TV" button the remote LED just stays on. I have tried three different pairs of batteries just to ensure I'm not crazy; one pair I just bought this afternoon.

The remote has stopped working once in the past, and then magically started working again with no explanation as to why.

Not sure if it's the remote that is the problem or if it's the IR sensor. I do not own another universal remote to try out, and have no experience with them anyway so I wouldn't know what I'm doing. I thought about ordering a replacement remote from video game perfection; however, the shipping to Japan is over four times the price of the remote. I'm not going to drop $60 on a remote if the problem it's still possible the problem is the IR sensor.

Anyway, anybody ever have this happen? What should I try next? I can make more videos if needed. I unhooked everything but the power and bought the OSSC out of my cabinet to record the video.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st7AM4VtgK0&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
Yup that was me, and VGP support and the forums were both completely worthless in helping me resolve the issue.

I did finally get my remote working because @ekorz was kind enough to bring me his when he visited and I used his to manually program every button on my remote.

Thanks for the reply.

I think what I'm just going to do is order a replacement to be sent to my dad's house in the U.S. and then just have him include it in the next package he sends me. I had the OSSC set where I like it for 240p and 480p so I can still play in the mean time. Unfortunately as I'm in Japan finding another person with an OSSC would be pretty damn difficult.

I couldn't find anything else good on the net either. Those idiots on the forum you tried to get help from didn't even read the post. Like other threads, it's just a bunch of ass clowns saying something along the lines of "JuSt REaD tHe DiRecTiOnS, hErE I gOoGlEd tHe LiNk fOr YoU bECaUsE yOu MuSt NoT kNOw oF tHe GoOgLE mAcHInE". It's like dude if any of that stuff worked do you think I would be asking here? It's as if they think the average Joe would actually own an OSSC in the first place.

Edit: One weird thing that has started on my OSSC is when I switch my Dreamcast VGA box to 15khz then the OSSC automatically wants to recognize it as 240p and not 480i. It then goes back and forth between the two and can't decide what it wants to do. Never did that before until I played 2nd Impact last night. Luckily I mostly just play 480p games on the Dreamcast. I would just set the OSSC back to default settings and go from there, but that whole no working remote thing...

Last edited:
the last guy actually gave me some useful info in that it was a list of the IR codes, but actually using that info to figure out all the software to reprogram the remote would be like 6+ hours of work...

VGP support's only solution was to SELL me a another remote, despite the fact that mine was shipped, new, from them, not working. I even offered to send mine back to be reprogrammed or exchanged and cover shipping myself but they weren't having it.

was it you?

I remember one of you had brought your remote by and I was able to use it to confirm that my OSSC worked, but I wasn't aware that it was a learning remote at the time. and then some time later the other one brought by their remote so I could reprogram.

I thought I had done the initial test with yours and the reprogram with ekorz but I could have the events backwards.

I brought an ossc remote up once, about a year ago.

I didn’t realize the bastard was two-timing on you @jassin000 don’t hold it against me.

Point the remote at a mobile phone camera (or any camera for that matter) and then press whatever buttons you need to press, you'll see if the IR transmitter is working but obviously that won't tell you if its transmitting anything useful or not.

A replacement remote is like AUD$5 shipped to Australia not sure about Japan (L336 chungchop)oss

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

you'll just need to source a replacement overlay if you want one of course.

Point the remote at a mobile phone camera (or any camera for that matter) and then press whatever buttons you need to press, you'll see if the IR transmitter is working but obviously that won't tell you if its transmitting anything useful or not.

A replacement remote is like AUD$5 shipped to Australia not sure about Japan (L336 chungchop)oss

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

you'll just need to source a replacement overlay if you want one of course.
Just to see if the remote works in general I've tried using the remote on other things in the house. I tried programming it to learn commands from my Panasonic light remote and the bathroom TV remote. All the lights seem to indicate that it should have learned the commands, but then it doesn't do anything when you actually try to use it. However, my lights operate on two different channels and the manufacturer of the TV is a bath company and not a TV company so that could have something to do with it lol. I only own a monitor in the living room and not a TV. I could try and use the remote on my wife's dad's TV next time I'm over there though.

Will just ordering a stock L336 actually do me any good. Aren't I still SOL for getting to learn all the OSSC commands if my current remote doesn't work?

the last guy actually gave me some useful info in that it was a list of the IR codes, but actually using that info to figure out all the software to reprogram the remote would be like 6+ hours of work...

VGP support's only solution was to SELL me a another remote, despite the fact that mine was shipped, new, from them, not working. I even offered to send mine back to be reprogrammed or exchanged and cover shipping myself but they weren't having it.
That's some straight horse shit there on their part. It seems this is a common problem too, and they still choose to use this sweatshop trash remote.

Situation resolved. I bought an RCA remote from Amazon and used the Toshiba code 11524.

Note: Tried re-programming the remote that came with the OSSC using the now working RCA remote and it didn't work. I watched three different YouTube videos to confirm I was doing the learning procedure correctly. The remote won't learn anything from any remote I have in the house, so I'm pretty sure the remote just became garbage. Considering they cost $2 on Ali Express I'm really not surprised...

Are you using the exact RCA remote I linked. I can show a video of it working.

99% sure that’s the code I used. This was over two years ago now so I no longer have the paper that came with the remote. Can you can take a picture of the Toshiba codes that you do have?

I ordered my remote from Amazon US. It was a couple years ago now so I no longer have the paper that came with it. Maybe try the next closest Toshiba code?

Keep in mind even after you input the code you still have to program all the buttons manually following the procedure on the OSSC website.

Back