What's new

Bigsingerdawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3 questions for the group.

Every once and a while I find in my UMK3 cab it's a bit hard to hit a diagonal for jumping in or back.

1) Should I replace the sticks?

2) Thoughts on the IL euro joystick vs a happ competition if yes?
https://paradisearcadeshop.com/home...-eurojoystick-series/1005_il-eurojoystick-red

or

https://na.suzohapp.com/products/joysticks/50-6070-100

3) Scale of 1-10 of how badly I can mess this up or how hard this is to do?

Don't worry I won't pull off that Midway Games sticker to void my warranty

Thanks - pics in the next post

Pics
IMG_20200622_000841_compress66.jpg
IMG_20200622_001219_compress26.jpg
IMG_20200622_001012_compress62.jpg
IMG_20200622_001022_compress81.jpg

Get the IL 100000%. The modern Happ are crap.

The IL are what the Happs were 10+ years ago. It's not just where they are made, rather the shaft and actuator are different material, resulting in hard to hit diagonals on the current Happ.

That being said, if you're not use to using the original factory sticks on a Midway cab, it might be that you're use to Japanese or Korean sticks, so in that case I would recommend one of those with a bat top (I lean toward Korean for Midway cabs).

Oh, and:

1. Yes.
2. IL (or Asian)
3. Super easy, just unplug the disconnects and plug into your new stick. Note that if you go non-IL, some Asian sticks have different connector ends where you may need to add your own quick disconnects.

I prefer the American competition sticks over the IL just for the fact that I like the feel of the spring in the joystick, It feels a little more stiff so I feel it get to the diagonal moves better. Just my opinion though.

Yes. I took out all my IL competition joysticks and put in the suzo happ competition because I think they are a little more stiff and I find the micro switches just the same.

It depends which company sells the Happ. Happ does not use Cherry as a default it’s an upgrade option. Cherry microswitches are superior to the crappy Chinese ones Happ currently uses.

For the spring, you can upgrade to a stiffer spring for about a buck. The Happ actuators are what is crappy.

Get the IL 100000%. The modern Happ are crap.

The IL are what the Happs were 10+ years ago. It's not just where they are made, rather the shaft and actuator are different material, resulting in hard to hit diagonals on the current Happ.

That being said, if you're not use to using the original factory sticks on a Midway cab, it might be that you're use to Japanese or Korean sticks, so in that case I would recommend one of those with a bat top (I lean toward Korean for Midway cabs).
Too add to the history as well.

All Midway cabs had IL Eurostick contracted and rebranded "HAPP competitions" stock from Midway. When HAPP dropped the contract and acquired SUZO, they made everything out of the SUZO Toy plant to save on costs.

By doing this, they degraded their product without letting ppl know. The new sticks no longer were IL, the molds and materials are different, do not have Cherry switches as they were replaced with their own in-house brand. They did the same with their push buttons and other stick as well.

Even if you go with another brand besides IL and HAPP. You can buy springs for most sticks out there for your preferred feel. For example, a Sanwa JLW with Battop and a 1 lb spring even.

If you like the newer HAPP-SUZO, then by all means. It's your cab.

I replaced my original Happ Sticks made by IL that were in my original Midway MK one cab with the newer Chinese made Suzo Happ competitions. I also threw a new set into my original 2 Slot Red Neo Geo MVS Cab. I’ve had them on both cabs for about 10 years now. The Suzo Happ ones feel a little stiffer compared to the IL’s. Micro switches work fine. I’d say for Street Fighter type games I recommend the IL’s. For MK, I think the Happ Competitions seem fine, but if you don’t mind spending more spring for the IL’s.

Back