What's new

Kujako

Grand Master
Reaction score
So it looks like my MV-2F has a missing/broken pin on the built in memory card reader. Anyone know of a source for a replacement part?

Edit: Pulled the card slot from an old terminal server (same type of memory card). But, the space between the pins on the PCB is different (MVS on the right, pulled part on the left. Pulled part has a configuration where each row is closer together than the last). I know I need 1.27mm pitch, but I am unsure how to search for the PCB pin layout.
IMG_0605.jpg

Last edited:
68 Way Right Angle PCMCIA Connector With Solder Termination

On digi-key
Exact same one I was looking at the schematic of. Thanks!

Edit: Got the damaged one removed... lifted a pad on the component side, but it looks recoverable.
IMG_0606.jpg

Solder side looks clean.
IMG_0609.jpg

Last edited:
neo geo has a non-standard connector that I've never been able to find a replacement for (other then from parts boards). If you compare the location of pin 1 on the silk screen and the schematic you will note they aren't in the same position. Likewise if you compare how the rows of pins are offset from each other, they are backwards on the neo geo compared to normal connectors. You can see this in your first picture.

neo geo has a non-standard connector that I've never been able to find a replacement for (other then from parts boards). If you compare the location of pin 1 on the silk screen and the schematic you will note they aren't in the same position. Likewise if you compare how the rows of pins are offset from each other, they are backwards on the neo geo compared to normal connectors. You can see this in your first picture.
The schematic for the one trmm and myself are looking at would seem to have the correct pin alignment (see attached). Guess I'll find out...

Attachments

• ENG_CD_5535653_P.pdf
    157.9 KB · Views: 188
Check the footprint on ultra librarian it matches

also Kujako better if you just bridge those 2 points seems the trace lifted
Untitled-3.png

Edit: Ack is right don't buy it.

Last edited:
Yes Ack was right the only other thing I can think off is making an adaptor board on cad and overlap it to match the pins cause 35 and 1 are close together and 2 and 36 are apart, this is reversed from comercial types but for any system the card will be or too out or almost all the way in.

Yes Ack was right the only other thing I can think off is making an adaptor board on cad and overlap it to match the pins cause 35 and 1 are close together and 2 and 36 are apart, this is reversed from comercial types but for any system the card will be or too out or almost all the way in.
Yeah, I was reading the schematic wrong. I thought I was looking at the bottom layout but it was the top. So guess I'm SOL.

Last edited:
Check the footprint on ultra librarian it matches

also Kujako better if you just bridge those 2 points seems the trace lifted
Untitled-3.png

Edit: Ack is right don't buy it.
Update: Just snagged a "non-working" MV-2F board off the eBays for cheap. Frankly I think it IS working. Seller says it has a calendar error, but I can see that someone added a coin cell battery (soldered in, no holder) which I bet is just dead. So I may just sway the boards depending on the condition. Otherwise I hopefully have a working part.

And yeah, that's the trace I need to re-wire. But on the other side of the board (that's the parts side, need to run a new trace wire on the solder side). Should be easy enough if it comes to that.
Untitled 2.png

Got the parts board in, it's fairly damaged. Someone wired in a CR2032 (soldered it directly on) without disabling the charging circuit, so system memory is kaput (weirdly I can still get it to work but it thinks the calendar date includes non-numeric characters). Got the memory card slot desoldered, so now just need to solder it into the other board and fix the damaged trace.

Well that was a major PITA... hard to get the solder to pull through from the "solder" side to the "component" side on the pins that have pads there. But, it passed the memory card test so I guess it's working? Will have to do some more in depth testing later, for now I'm tired and dirty (and my illustration of the pulled pin trace fix was wrong see attached for the correct one, confirmed on my parts board).
IMG_0634.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0633.jpg
    IMG_0633.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 194
Nice work. While it might have been a pita sounds like you are in business. Successful repair heals all :)

Hi, sorry to pull this thread out of the dead. I have the same issue with a mangled memory card socket.

I have a Neo Geo AES with a broken memory socket. I desoldered it but not knowing the replacement was not correct I disposed of the old one. Kicked myself after seeing this thread.

I have had a look at some photos on this forum and a few others and I think I can see what is going on, but can't be 100% sure. It looks like the first 2 rows go to the top row of the socket and the second two go to the lower row of the socket.

Does anyone know or have any information on the pin-outs of the memory card socket and the corresponding pins on the motherboard? I was thinking of knocking up a converter board that could be used with something like a SMD socket and then soldered onto existing solder points on the board.

I have only just started with the Neo Geo, so am not 100% sure where all the resources and information is located. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brad.

Pretty sure it's a standard PCMCIA socket?

Pretty sure it's a standard PCMCIA socket?

The socket is standard, but the part is weird with the pins being in the opposite order from most (as shown in the picture I posted on June 23 2020). What I ended up doing was getting a dead board with a good card reader that I then desoldered and moved onto my good board. Worked in the end, but was a pain.

Highlighted to better illustrate the issue. Note that the yellow line between the pins goes in the opposite direction.
IMG_0605.jpeg

Last edited:
I was just looking at Digikey socket (same as the one you have there) and pictures from the net and it looks as though the pins on the outer rows (call it row 1) of the PCMCIA socket should be in Row 2 of the motherboard and Row 2 of the PCMCIA socket should be in Row 1 of the board..... is it possible for someone to check that for me?

I was just looking at Digikey socket (same as the one you have there) and pictures from the net and it looks as though the pins on the outer rows (call it row 1) of the PCMCIA socket should be in Row 2 of the motherboard and Row 2 of the PCMCIA socket should be in Row 1 of the board..... is it possible for someone to check that for me?
Not sure I understand what you're asking...

My apologies - was just dumping thoughts out from my head. From what I can see is the rows on the socket is reversed from the PCMCIA connector. The back row should connect to the second to last row and visa versa. Just want to make sure my logic is sound. :D

PCMCIA remix.jpg

My apologies - was just dumping thoughts out from my head. From what I can see is the rows on the socket is reversed from the PCMCIA connector. The back row should connect to the second to last row and visa versa. Just want to make sure my logic is sound. :D

Correct, put another way in each row on the PCMCIA side, the short pin connector to the PCB should be long and the long one should be short.

Back