What's new

cr4zymanz0r

Beginner
Reaction score
I'll have a Blast City cab on the way soon-ish, so I figured I'd go ahead and get some of my research out of the way.

So from what I can tell the Blast City PSU doesn't have -5V output (or if it does, it doesn't seem to be wired up). Is there a way to add this? I know I'd have to wire a couple of additional pins to the JAMMA harness, but is there some PCB or something I can use to take 5V or 12V from the PSU and output -5V?
I assume there's some small buck converter that outputs -5V, but I have no idea what kind of wattage/amperage you need on -5V for arcade PCBs that use it. I think the only PCB I have right now that needs it is Double Dragon.

Would the Negatron be sufficient though?

https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/List_of_JAMMA_PCB's_that_require_-5_volts
"ATTENTION - The Negatron device provides -5v@500mA, which may be insufficient for some pcbs."

Maybe it'd be fine for Double Dragon? Who knows what PCBs I might would potentially get in the future though.
Good question, I'd be interested to see a list of what it doesn't work with. So far the only board I have to test is a Midway Wolf Unit and it works fine with that.

Never had a problem with my negatrons in my blasts. That article lists Taito G Net as being troublesome with Astro City PSUs at 500ma but I’ve never had an issue with a 500ma negation. I have heard about a converter that supplies a full 1amp but I can’t find a link... I never needed it!

Back