What's new

iTRDC2

Student
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a Violent Storm KONAMI board that is completely dead (i get a "black" screen).
I tried to press the test button during the boot but I get the same behavior.

Any tip on how/ where to start the troubleshooting?

Here follows a photo of the board:
SDNrt4.jpg

Thanks in advance,
iTRDC2

Check that EPROM with the sticker missing. It could have been erased.

Next, check the area round the sound PCB, it will leak (if it hasn't already) and at times the damage is under it, so it will need removal and replacement.

Finally, if you can't fix it yourself, you can PM me for a repair guy's info.

Check that EPROM with the sticker missing. It could have been erased.

Next, check the area round the sound PCB, it will leak (if it hasn't already) and at times the damage is under it, so it will need removal and replacement.

Finally, if you can't fix it yourself, you can PM me for a repair guy's info.
Thank you for you tips.

EPROM without the sticker checked and it is OK.

Around the sound PCB everything looks OK, no leak. There is the possibility to be leaking under the sound PCB and I would not notice.
Any other troubleshoot that I can make before removing the Audio PCB?
An audio PCB replacement part is a bit expensive, isn't it?

Thanks,
iTRCDC2

After physical inspection : check your voltages.
I should have included this as well. Double check your voltages from your PSU AND from the PCB at test points.

@Mitsurugi-w will replace your sound PCB with a new one for only $55 and shipping both ways. It's a bargain, and he'll include sockets for it, so in the future you can easily remove it to test it on another board as well.

Also, I'm giving you some very basic tips, maybe someone on here who has experience with this PCB can give specifics. Maybe @caius

Check and eventually reflow the two custom ASICs with finer pitch, lifted/loose pin are a common issue on these board.

P.S.
And yes, my replacement parts are very expensive, some bilion of $$$ are not enough for a couple... :)

Last edited:
Check and eventually reflow the two custom ASICs with finer pitch, lifted/loose pin are a common issue on these board.

P.S.
And yes, my replacement parts are very expensive, some bilion of $$$ are not enough fpr a couple... :)
Thanks a lot for the extra tips @caius

Your replacement parts price is more than fair. What is expensive to me is the shipping . Not shipping to the States, but shipping from the States to Portugal again. Lets see if I can resolve it, otherwise I can try to mange something with my uncles that live in the States :thumbup: .

Thanks,
iTRDC2

@Mitsurugi-w will replace your sound PCB with a new one for only $55 and shipping both ways.
Pretty sure @Mitsurugi-w just dealt with this guy knocking their work in the other thread.Same title format. Same not wanting to look under the audio PCB. Same knocking on the price/quality of the custom repro. Same game. It's very hard to imagine this isn't the same @Supergun.
Maybe, but I don't think so, this guy is in Portugal, is asking about a boot to black PCB. The other guy had a booting game, with ROM check errors. Also, the PCB images don't look the same.
Maybe it is an elaborate double post, but I don't see why he would do that.
I'm nothing to do with Supergun (Billy).

It is not a elaborate double post. I'm for real :).

P.S.
And yes, my replacement parts are very expensive, some bilion of $$$ are not enough fpr a couple... :)
Thanks a lot for the extra tips @caius
Your replacement parts price is more than fair. What is expensive to me is the shipping . Not shipping to the States, but shipping from the States to Portugal again. Lets see if I can resolve it, otherwise I can try to mange something with my uncles that live in the States :thumbup: .

Thanks,
iTRDC2
@iTRDC2 if you're capable of doing the swap yourself, I would recommend buying the PCB from Caius direct. It's small enough that shipping wouldn't be a lot.

That being said, there is no way to know if replacing the sound module will fix your problem. If you're able to remove it, go ahead and do so and socket the chip as step one. No matter the PCB, this sound module WILL eventually leak, so it's a good idea to get a move on it now anyway.

1) Billy is known for doing just that.
2) like I said in the other thread, he's known for buying up every Konami board that hits the market, so having two isn't a surprise
3) You've been around this hobby a bit, haven't you? Like elaborate alt accounts are a thing. Just not usually on AP.
4) The previous thread was about to get him another VS board. Why not get a fourth one out of this thread when inevitably another person offers?

Just saying there's a lot pointing to it being him.
I create this thread with a similar title than Supergun just to be faster and easier because my Native language is Portuguese.
If you take a look at my threads, this is not the only one I created.

I appreciate less oft topic.

Thanks,
iTRDC2

P.S.
Thanks a lot for the extra tips @caiusYour replacement parts price is more than fair. What is expensive to me is the shipping . Not shipping to the States, but shipping from the States to Portugal again. Lets see if I can resolve it, otherwise I can try to mange something with my uncles that live in the States :thumbup: .

Thanks,
iTRDC2
@iTRDC2 if you're capable of doing the swap yourself, I would recommend buying the PCB from Caius direct. It's small enough that shipping wouldn't be a lot.
That being said, there is no way to know if replacing the sound module will fix your problem. If you're able to remove it, go ahead and do so and socket the chip as step one. No matter the PCB, this sound module WILL eventually leak, so it's a good idea to get a move on it now anyway.
I have half good news about the game board.

I turned the "power on" on my cab and went to do other stuff. When I came back i was able to ear the game sound.

So now I do have sound but still no image.
Since sound is OK I believe that the sound board did not leak and damaged the board.

At this point, anyone has any idea where to point my troubleshoot to?

Voltage level at the game input (at the game jamma connector) is 5.15V.

Thanks,
iTRDC2

It may be that you simply didn’t wait long enough when you were first powering up the board for it to completely boot up. Some Konami boards can take longer then others depending on how long the power up test is. I know Violent Storm can take from 15 to 30 seconds at times.

So next time you power it up, give it a good minute or so, and then credit the game and press start to see if you hear everything sounding normal. Then if the board “plays blind” you can focus on that next.

For everyone that felt the need to be derailing this thread with baseless accusations: please take a break from the internet.

iTRDC2 is without a doubt, not Supergun

For everyone that felt the need to be derailing this thread with baseless accusations: please take a break from the internet.

I disagree with baseless.

But good to find out they aren't the same person. So my apologies to @iTRDC2.

I disagree with baseless.
But good to find out they aren't the same person. So my apologies to @iTRDC2.
No problem @rewrite :thumbup: .

Regarding the board i now have sound on the board.
I noticed that if I touch one IC (by applying some pressure on it) I can see something on the sreen. Please see the picture below:
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/4597/BIZ2na.jpg

The IC is the following (KONAMI 055555 9316 E10):
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/8753/AtB0FW.jpg

Thank you,
iTRDC2

Do you have a magnifying glass? Check all those connections to see if the custom chip needs a reflow.

I noticed that if I touch one IC (by applying some pressure on it) I can see something on the sreen.
This is good news!

You'll want to test each pin with your multimeter to make sure 2 things:

1) It is not bridged with a pin next to it.
2) That you have continuity from the pin to the trace. They're small, and it can look like they're soldered down to the naked eye, but they are not.

Find the offending pins, and reflow them. Or if you're good with a soldering iron, reflow the entire chip.

It seems you do not pay attention to what I said you :)

Tech Help: Konami Violent Storm Board "dead"

Your issue is 99% due to the two custom ASICs with finer pitch, the '055555' and '055673'.They are notorious from detaching from pads.You must do a good refow of them, soldering must be perfect otherwise signals integrity will be degraded and board will not boot or show other problems.

Back