What's new
Reaction score
Hi, everybody!

I've loved video games for as long as I can remember and arcade games are a segment of that which I have not had the pleasure of playing (in their proper, original arcade format) in a long time. I love shmups, the intricacies of fighters, puzzle games, platformers - you name it - and when I play a game I always hope to experience it how the developers intended it. With that in mind, I've always tried to find the most "arcade perfect" ports for my home consoles, lamenting the fact that I may never be able to play them without missing some of the animations or background textures that the creators put time and effort into.

I recently had an itch to play some Metal Slug games again and was pretty floored by how many options there are available with different ports. Through a cursory search to try and learn the differences between the ports and determine which I might enjoy most I found that it would probably be best if I just played them myself and learned their differences firsthand. As I've been doing that I've wanted a basis for how to measure each port and I came to the conclusion that there's no better way to do that than to compare them to the original arcade version. Through looking into how I might be able to play the original, I've learned about this awesome world of at-home arcade setups and it's really got me excited! I'm really looking forward to putting together my own setup and being able to experience the original versions of so many games I've enjoyed as well as those I've never had a chance to play!

I will admit; getting into this is pretty intimidating and I predict I'll be learning for a while before I feel competent, but I think I'm up for the challenge and it definitely puts a smile on my face when I think about the gaming adventures that I'll be able to go on once I get things rolling.

Game on!

Welcome! I'm right there with you on the intimidating aspect just getting into this seen myself.

Back