What's new

LWK

Student
Reaction score
I have a variety of candy's I want to restore away from a yellowed plastic state. Currently I am restoring a Net City. I am just curious. Do I sand and primer the plastic before using this stuff, or just throw it right on there?

Says its for metal, so no idea how it will work on plastic. Also says not to primer, but to remove rust, etc..
I probably would not use this. I would either get the things professionally painted or powdercoated. Different materials require different paint processes for a good durable finish.
Good luck!

2020-06-26_4-25-24.jpg

Thanks for your input. The reason I wanna use this is due to this thread: Sega Net City I am just not sure about sanding. Thanks for letting me know about the priming!

Ah...should ask him how it has been holding up. Plus maybe get some finer detailed pics of the finish.

Since you are doing this post up some pics please.

Hello.
If it's plastic, automotive paints engineered for this purpose work great. However, they are expensive. The most important thing is to prep the material properly and this step should not be rushed.
In the USA, there is an excellent brand called SEM but there are many plastic oriented products.

I am floored with the results. I love this paint. I need to see over time how good it has held up. Look at this finish. This is without any final polishing yet. (I may not bother at all) Look how good this looks. I did net city with no sanding. Used 50 proof alcohol, and wiped it down, used my air duster on it, then painted it. I also redid the bezel for my super neo 29 candy. Sanded the super neo 29 prior. I don't think I'll bother with any other paint ever other this for these types of applications.

Attachments

• P1240364.JPG
    P1240364.JPG
    271.1 KB · Views: 229
That looks pretty good :thumbsup: , glad you your are happy with it. I wonder how it will hold up over time.

Which paint did you use? The Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy?

Did you not prime the surface?

I didn't prime or even sand the Net City. I sanded the Super Neo 29 parts though. I used wet toilet paper and paper towels to jam into the edges of the top bezel for the Super Neo 29 speakers. I used the back of a razor blade to push the towels down on the sides, so it wouldn't bleed over the top. Image 2 shows the towels after the paint got on it. Using painters tape pulls off that old paint, so that's out. Worked good. I also used Goo Gone to remove where some paint got through onto the speakers. Sega Net City is nearing completion. Just a cap kit on the monitor at some point. Paint is Rust-O-Leum Appliance Epoxy.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    348.2 KB · Views: 151
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    298.3 KB · Views: 152
For the Super Neo 29.. Nah. They are unified with the entire plastic bezel.

That is so weird, I never really checked mine. Always though there would be a way to pop them off to repaint, etc..

Interesting. I've used this paint before on old appliances for touch ups, but I never kept the end result long enough to see it's lasting effects.

I'm curious as to how it will hold up. Obviously, surfaces that are not subject to friction should be ok, but on CPs I'm not sure.

I haven't painted CP's for that reason. I am actually gonna avoid that.
That is so weird, I never really checked mine. Always though there would be a way to pop them off to repaint, etc..
It's definitely a annoyance when painting.

Last edited:
Back