What's new
I will also comment not to go into Neo Geo on a budget unless you want to go trough many loops and hoops to get what you will be happy with.

Every path leads to a certain expense one way or the other, there are minimal setups that can get you started but later don't have all you want, it might be what is needed to spark the feeling but between aesthetics and functionality it will always be lacking that something. On the other hand there are the most costly but "all in one solutions" but better be ready.

ask yourself a few things first

• Are aesthetics important?
  • I'm looking for: a console like system, an arcade setup or the best of both worlds?
  • How tech inclined am I? can I mod or tweak electronics?
  • Do I want a flashcart like the DS multi or single carts or both?
  • How much I'm willing to invest after all is said and done?

It doesn't matter how cheap or expensive your initial setup will be as long you can make it work and you are happy with that.
honestly answer yourself all those questions and then ask for the best solution under those parameters, someone here will point you on the right direction.
Neo Geo is like a second wife.

I should have said no emulation, I remember thinking it at the time when I created the thread.

I already have all the hardware for MiSTer, I just haven't been bothered to install it

There is no saving me, I'm already in deep, my CPS2 including multi arrived in the post yesterday!
Ginish projects first bevorw you start new ones. Thats a very bad habbit.

You SHOULD buy a nice Neo Geo 1 slot and the Darksoft Multi.

I wouldn't mess around with any original carts or cheap Chinese carts. You will end up buying a Darksoft multi anyway in the end.

Just do it now and sleep better at night.

:D

I should have said no emulation, I remember thinking it at the time when I created the thread.

I already have all the hardware for MiSTer, I just haven't been bothered to install it

There is no saving me, I'm already in deep, my CPS2 including multi arrived in the post yesterday!
Ginish projects first bevorw you start new ones. Thats a very bad habbit.
Who said I bought the hardware for MiSTer, it's just a stock DE10-Nano Development Kit ;)

You SHOULD buy a nice Neo Geo 1 slot and the Darksoft Multi.

I wouldn't mess around with any original carts or cheap Chinese carts. You will end up buying a Darksoft multi anyway in the end.

Just do it now and sleep better at night.

:D
The Darksoft multi is out of stock though. :(

Neo-Geo MV1F, Unibios 4 and a 161-in-1 cart. Enjoy 100 games for $200, with stereo audio and onboard controller ports as a bonus.

That's how I roll. :)

For real hardware I'd go for a 2 slots MVS or a MV1C without corrosion + Darksoft Multi.

Since you ask for cheap option, consider MiSTer FPGA with a 128MB RAM module. no way, go for real hardware to get the full experience! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
If you go for a MV1C double check all controls are working properly, there's a custom chip that manages that. MV1FZS is one of my favorites too, with a better amplifier (HA13001) and socketed ROM for BIOS.

Back