What's new

K0NAM1

Student
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to repair, I'm going to try and get one working board out of two duds anyway (I managed to bring an Amiga A2000 back using this method), I have plenty of time at the moment.

These bootlegs are using Konami customs and have an another PCB underneath with lots of ROMs on them. Has anyone seen a schematic for these bootlegs? I'm thinking that because these have the Konami customs maybe the schematics are similar, I'm just comparing an image of a genuine, and in some ways the genuine looks like a much more compact version of the bootleg?

The "first" board has nearly all the IC's and looks the best so I will give that a clean with IPA and then I will move all the missing IC's to this one and making a list of what I need to buy to fully populate the board.

Once I get the parts it's on to phase 2.

Any info on the origins of these boards or relevant repair tips will be much appreciated.

Cheers
Richard

Attachments

• first.jpg
    first.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 227
  • second.jpg
    second.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
My main tip would be, get both working and give one to me. :P

I find bootlegs more difficult to work on as they're not as well (if at all) documented.

What are the symptoms of each board? Black screen etc?

@Frank_fjs I did think of you, if I can get both working I will!

Both boards have obvious bits missing so until I remedy that...

These are interesting though right bootlegs with customs...

I mean I'm having trouble tracking down a hires image of one of these bootleg PCBs in a working state.

Missing bits may not actually be missing bits. Pretty common for boots to be reworked to use minimal components as a cost saving measure.

Missing bits may not actually be missing bits. Pretty common for boots to be reworked to use minimal components as a cost saving measure.
Both boards seem to be the same, definitely bits missing on both, for example the better board is missing a big DIP IC in the centre and a resistor ladder next to it, the the other board has those. It seems highly likely both boards have been used for spares.

I think also it missing the rom board 2nd stack as I have the same :)
0BE941AA-0E3E-43BB-9BEE-3124DE484FB2.jpeg
244DB5B4-0E59-46E7-A724-3604A1E4215F.jpeg

The attached photo is a working one for sale on Ebay.

@Frank_fjs the worse board is pretty similar to this one, maybe as you say there is a rework in the centre right of the board that removes nearly 20 IC's that doesn't sound right though, maybe all those IC's are multiplexors for the player 3 & 4 inputs...

Attachments

• works.jpg
    works.jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 157
@AMS thanks for the photo, both my boards have the 2nd ROM stack, does your board work?

Well my board boots with the intro music playing but keeps resetting due to a ram/rom error:

8C7F153A-95DA-43D9-AEF4-E7E15B5CF937.jpeg

Going by @AMS board maybe I'm just missing the big resistor network near the JAMMA connector.

when you get them working,you should consider ditching the rom board and fitting 4 16bit roms on the main board instead.

when you get them working,you should consider ditching the rom board and fitting 4 16bit roms on the main board instead.
Thanks, I had the beginnings of that thought in the back of my mind.

Back