What's new

Clownkicker

Student
Reaction score
Hello, I'm definitely a beginner so please bear with me.

I've had this Street Fighter Zero 2 Alpha CPS-2 B Board from JPN for a while now. It currently just sits at a black screen when I power on. No sounds can be heard, just a black/grey screen.

Some facts about it:
  • It WAS working for me previously, although it's always been a little flakey. Sometimes I've had to push down on the board to get it to start. Now it won't start no matter how hard I push down or re-seat the connection between the two boards. I am using the clips to hold the boards together.
  • I did install an infinikey at one point. It WAS working with it installed (and the battery removed).
  • I've tested it on two different CPS-2 A boards. It works on neither. Both A boards work successfully with other games (X-Men-vs-SF and AvP).

Things I've tried so far:
  • General cleaning of the board. Current state can be seen here: https://imgur.com/a/uLQEtJS
  • Tried to clean the the A-board connectors by spraying DeOxit in there and letting it dry upside down.
  • Generally inspected the board for broken traces, etc. Nothing was obvious to me.
  • Reflowed the solder connections on the infinikey, just in case.
  • Pulled all of the EPROMS, 01A through 08A (I believe these are all of the prog chips), cleaned the pins, reinserted them.
  • Checked EPROMS 01A through 08A with a TL866, compared them against the SFZ2ALJ mame set. All chips came up 'successful'.

I still suspect a bad connection between the A and B boards, given the general flakiness even when it was working. What is the best way to verify that connection when the board is on?

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

Take the boards out of the plastic case and test them that way.

Thanks for the response!

Gave that a shot last night. Unfortunately, still got a black/grey screen. Weirdly, sometimes I saw a green screen as well.

Next I'll try to use the multimeter to see if power is getting to various parts of the board.

My thoughts at this point then would be to double check the infinikey install because it's acting like a suicided board.

Thanks, @rewrite you were totally correct!

I wicked away all of the solder from the infinikey install and just completely redid it. I double-checked the game code on it, and it was correct, but maybe the connection to the board was bad. I verified the connection by doing a continuity check against the pins on the other side of the board.

Fired it up, and... success!

RRFUTtn.jpg

vr6gGIG.jpg

Put both boards back in their cases and it still works! Thanks again for the advise! Marking this as fixed.

Badass, man. Go enjoy a few rounds!

Back