What's new

Neo-Alec

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello.

Can anyone tell me how this monitor glass should be secured on my Neo Geo MVS big red cab?

It came like this, and there's nothing holding it up. Looks like it could easily fall down when the control panel is opened.
20200701_102136_compress70.jpg

The control panel is designed to hold it in when closed and latched. The glass is angled back so the weight holds it in when control panel is open. That little notch is so you can just simply use your finger to slide the bottom of the glass out. It can fall out for sure when you are working on things, and I have seen people use a small screw and washer to overlap the glass to add some extra safety.

Actually, I just figured it out. Someone put a metal L bracket there to hold the glass in place, but it must have fallen off when I was transporting the cab. I found it in the bag of bolts and stuff I pulled from the cab when I cleaned it. I'll try putting it back in place. Thanks for the input.

The other problem: I'm sure I'll be opening it frequently to change games. That's why I usually don't have the control panel latched, so the control panel can move around somewhat while playing.

Ah yes, the loose parts that you find after moving a cab. I had a PSU short out cause a quarter some how got inside during a move.

I suggest keeping the control panel locked down even though it can be a pain to always unlock to swap carts; at least on one side. People will end up pulling back and the control panel it will pop up and then slam down and risk damaging things. Getting an Darksoft Multicart is a good option to help limit changes.

I have the NeoSD pro for AES. For now, I'm trying to kind of maintain the original look and feel of selecting the four slots from the machine, so I'm still using the real carts.

I hear you there. I have a 4slot cabinet too and use original carts there, but then I have a 1slot motherboard I use a DS Flashcart in. Get the LED Marquee setup if needed and you will have a really nice original looking Big Red!

Yeah, the machine came with the marquee EL panels, but of course they mostly don't work. I ordered the replacement LED marquee, but it will probably take a while to get here from Europe.

Nice, you will be really happy with them and well worth the wait.

There has been so much to do on this cab, and it's my first restore. When you consider the effort and money invested, it's not worth it at all. There's no way I'll ever recoup what I put into this cab if I ever decide I don't want it anymore.

I'll be making a quick Youtube vid showing everything I did when I'm done, so I'll post it up.

Well yeah... Restorations are more about the fun, learning and before and after pics than the money. People have crazy stories and they are so worth sharing so please do make a video and share with the community.

In the end I say, if you learned, have fun, and preserve a piece of the arcade history, then it is worth it.

Enjoy the road trip and play a good quarter muncher and think about all the money you saved owning the cab :)

Thanks for the encouraging words. Though I agree I've mostly enjoyed it, it still wasn't worth the price.

Back