What's new

Kujako

Grand Master
Reaction score
OK... this is a weird one. It seems that one or two of my game carts are just slightly wider than others. This causes the memory card / audio board tray under the control panel to hit the cart and prevents it from fully closing. However, try as I might I can not spot the difference (and my caliper doesn't go that big). There is a strong possibility that the cart cases are third party. Shown in the images are a 100% real cart, a bootleg and one of the carts having this issue. Also shown the inside of the cabinet where you can see the aforementioned tray. Anyone encountered this before? It's a problem, but I don't know that it's worth the cost of a replacement case and label to address it...
IMG_0636.jpg
IMG_0616.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0635.jpg
    IMG_0635.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 187
It looks like two of them aren't screwed together right. There's a gap between the carts. The sides should sit flush like the bottom one.

It looks like two of them aren't screwed together right. There's a gap between the carts. The sides should sit flush like the bottom one.
The screws are as tight as they can go, but it is true that two of them have a bit of slack. However, the one with the issue does not seem to have any give. And it is the long ways width that is the problem, not the thickness (ok, not using the best terminology here). Looking at the first two pictures, the middle cart would seem to either be slightly too wide (left to right from the perspective of the picture) or the boards are sitting slightly off center causing the metal panel to impact it.

Well, I'm not sure about the width. And I don't see any difference in the photos really?

But you can see the top two aren't put together right. They're mounted wrong, or you have the PCB separator piece in backwards on those.

Well, I'm not sure about the width. And I don't see any difference in the photos really?

But you can see the top two aren't put together right. They're mounted wrong, or you have the PCB separator piece in backwards on those.
It's definitely the shell... I moved the cart with the problems (KoF 96) into the bootlegs case (Neo Cup) and the issue goes away. Which I guess is a good enough solution for now... seeing as the Neo Cup is really a NeoDiagnostics cart (I picked it up because the eproms where socketed rather than soldered on so I could easily reprogram it). But yeah, I can't see or detect the difference unless I install the cart.

(I picked it up because the eproms where socketed rather than soldered on so I could easily reprogram it
There's your problem. the reason EPROMs aren't socketed normally is because they don't fit in the case if they're socketed.

(I picked it up because the eproms where socketed rather than soldered on so I could easily reprogram it
There's your problem. the reason EPROMs aren't socketed normally is because they don't fit in the case if they're socketed.
Wrong board. The one that doesn't fit, is a real PCB set for KoF 96. It's the shell it was in that had the problems. The bootleg (which actually was designed so that the eproms were on the rear board with gaps in the top board for them to fit through) was in a case that fits fine. So I swapped the PCBs around so the real KoF 96 set is now in the Neo Cup bootleg shell, which fits in the cabinet. It's just weird that the shell it was in doesn't fit. I can't detect a difference that would account for the shell making contact with the console lid/

I understand what you're saying now; the width is slightly larger like someone stretched out the cart.

I'd guess that it's just a poorly made replica shell, can't say I've ever seen one like that.

I understand what you're saying now; the width is slightly larger like someone stretched out the cart.

I'd guess that it's just a poorly made replica shell, can't say I've ever seen one like that.
That's the only thing I can think of as well... ah well.

Poorly made aftermarket shells are common. My Pulstar has one. It looks normal, but it's hard to fit in my CMVS.

Back