What's new

tengugurl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all!
Hope everyone is doing well during this pandemic.

I have a silly question in regards to my monitor.
My monitor can be VGA or CGA which can be done via moving a cable from one spot on the PCB to another spot.

Unfortunately,
I didn't get a CGA connector when I bought this as the side pins are exposed. (Should be able to wire right to it)

1) I read that I need a 10 Pin .156 Molex adapter to wire up the CGA connector to the JAMMA harness, is that right?

https://i.imgur.com/TsRhWxN.jpg

2) Would this be the correct wiring to put the monitor into CGA Mode?

R from Jamma harness goes to R on the pin
G from Jamma harness goes to G on the pin
B from Jamma harness goes to B on the pin
GND from Jamma harness goes to GND on the pin
SYNC from Jamma harness goes to H on the pin? (**I might be wrong, let me know :) **)

3) Why I ask this today is because, I was trying to keep from having to go back behind the monitor and switch it from VGA to CGA so I was trying to build something that goes as follows:

E.g Neo Geo to Jamma, Jamma to GBS-8200 (CGA/VGA converter) to the monitor.
Prob is, when I connect it up, it is saying "Out of Range"... Lame!

Any ideas?

I thought it could be one or the other mode wise (aka VGA or CGA mode)

So I was trying to keep from having to swap the cable in the back so I was trying to use the GBS converter.

My ms2931 is freesync so no matter what I throw at it, it works without having to swap a small molex connection.
Wish this monitor was like that

My ms2931 is freesync so no matter what I throw at it, it works without having to swap a small molex connection.
It's tri-sync/multiscan/whatever you want to call it, not FreeSync.

FreeSync is an AMD created technology for LCD displays that didn't come out until 2015.

Not trying to be pedantic, but in some cases terminology matters and it's important to understand the difference.

Oh for sure @ terminology mattering.
I have a LG monitor that has freesync so I jumbled it up.

So @rewrite, what do you think?

Do you think that's the right molex connection size and was I off base when thinking of a way to avoid from having to go behind the cab each time I wanted to use jamma or anything non VGA?

So @rewrite, what do you think?
I'm honestly unsure. Everyone has always told me to avoid D series WG's like the plague since they're unreliable and have a soft 15k picture. So I have done just that.

I don't think that's the right connector. While it may fit, it doesn't have the little chunk on it to secure it in place. The piece you have there should kind of lock onto (for lack of a better term) the connector you'd be plugging in, and the molex connectors don't have that.

I never mounted my old D9200 into a cab. However, when I tested it I feed it 15khz through its “VGA” HD15 connector. It worked but made a noticeable clicking sound.

Oooh okay, cool thanks for letting me @meybarra I will have to get the connector to try it out :)

Understood @rewrite, I am noticing the soft picture so far.

Also thanks for the pointers on the molex cable. Love this hobby, each day I learn a bit more.

Back