What's new
J

jassin000

I wanted to get these images/information out to my fellow VLX fans...
If you are the owner of an original F/L/FC or L-AMI cab you are already aware the top two speakers/tweeters are square in shape.
GLLTh4H.jpg

qYtzNRF.jpg

You CAN get these exact replacements from Taito, but like everything direct from Taito its far from cheap!
We've (thanks @Derick2k for finding them) known about these Dayton Audio PC83-4 3" Full-Range Poly Cone Drivers for a while now.
2dhmmt9.jpg

They work great as a "drop-in" replacement for the rounded/bottom speakers.
However when it comes to the top two, this round shape is NOT compatible with the speaker box.
FMUlSn5.jpg

Using a Drummel tool and a disc shaped cutting bit I made this change to the speaker box..
jiXJFcB.jpg

F2NZwmJ.jpg

Now the round replacement speakers drop right into place (connectors are good to go too, no crimping/soldering needed)!
tTQUvPv.jpg

One final modification is required before we can close this up...
On the left you can see the way the original port/connector looked, on the right you can see I've mounted it backwards (aka backmounting).
2ikkNIa.jpg

With the additional size of the speaker magnet you can't have the plug sit recessed that deep.
By just removing the connector from the plate, turning the entire back panel over and reconnecting it your all set.

Finished speaker boxes reassembled/ready to be reinserted into the VLX.
wyGY80f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the post and effort man! You beat me to the punch; I bought those same speakers and am going to do the same thing. This will come in handy! :)

Hey @jassin000...I was about to pull the trigger on speakers and locks direct from Taito....Like I have the pro-forma in my inbox.

Have you hooked these up, do they sound as solid, and is there any rattle/gaping between the old layout and the new speaker?

I ordered 4 of the speakers from Parts Express, so I have them to spare.

I can find locks in the states for cheaper...and I'm sure the nessica panel cover I was ordering as well, from either KC or Cereth...so if I don't have to have the AMI flat speakers, that'd be 400$ i'd be saving by the time I was done.

Thank you!

Last edited:
So you ended up removing the tweeters and added another pair of speakers. I'm wondering how that sounds the highs might be lost.

VEWLIX Forever! Show people the way of the powerful VEWLIX! They will bow before the greatness that is the eternal VEWLIX! Nothing can stop the almighty VEWLIX!

Seriously, I love the Vewlix because of all these off-the-shelf mods. Proprietary stuff is fine, but once it's gone, it's gone.

I'm in the process of doing this mod, on all 4 speakers, and boy is it tedious on the bottom speakers. The Dayton speaker backs are really strong magnets, infinitely more so than the stock ones. The boxes are really tight to work in, and if you're off slightly on alignment, your screw/washer gets grabbed by the magnet.

You'll want a really long screwdriver, and to use a chopstick or something to hold the washers down. Honestly, if you can superglue or hot glue them down...I'd say do it. Also, when you insert the new speaker into the box, attach the wires first and pass the plate through the hold before screwing down the speaker. It's a PITA to attach the couplers to the posts (because the box is so small) if you don't.

The trick with the bottom boxes is remove the hex screws first, then hold it in your hand and undo the 4 internal screws.
So when you loosen the screws you let them sink down and the face plate just fall off.

That way you NEVER remove the screw/washer from the hole and risk it getting attracted to the magnet.
Removing the screws is 100% the wrong approach, do NOT remove them its a nightmare to put them back in.

The trick with the bottom boxes is remove the hex screws first, then hold it in your hand and undo the 4 internal screws.
So when you loosen the screws you let them sink down and the face plate just fall off.

That way you NEVER remove the screw/washer from the hole and risk it getting attracted to the magnet.
Removing the screws is 100% the wrong approach, do NOT remove them its a nightmare to put them back in.
Ah that is great advice. You'll still want a long screwdriver to screw them back in, but would definitely be much easier your way.

Thanks for the guide i used it to replace my top speakers in my vewlix f cab, just wondering are the bottom speakers the same as i was thinking of changing them at some pount.

Back