What's new

Segasonicfan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While not exactly arcade-related, I thought I would share my latest project here (I mean, this is the SSFD section, after all :D)

-------

We've all heard of the failed LED displays on Virtual Boy systems...
..the various fixes of gluing, 3D printing hold brackets, melting the original cable, etc...

But isn't it time for a permanent foolproof solution?

virtual ribbon5.4.1 SMALL.png

Click Here for more info or go to:

https://segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro/virtual-ribbon

This custom PCB and ribbon cable replacement set will make your Virtual Boy even better than a sealed, brand new system.

virtual ribbon web 1 small.jpg

kit pic2 small.jpg

Details are linked above.
PM me here or Contact Me to pre-order yours!
I can also solder / install onto PCBs that are sent in (for a limited time, anyway)

Taking pre-orders for the first batch of units. Depending on how many people sign up I expect ~1 month lead-time before shipping them out.

Special thanks to user RunnerPack from Planet VB forums for providing the awesome font!

headaches small.png

Last edited:
But isn't it time for a permanent full-proof solution?
What is it that makes this better than just soldering the original cable in place? Is that not a permanent solution?

As someone who has to do this sometime in the near-ish future, I'd definitely like to know!

But isn't it time for a permanent full-proof solution?
What is it that makes this better than just soldering the original cable in place? Is that not a permanent solution?
As someone who has to do this sometime in the near-ish future, I'd definitely like to know!
The original cable is an extremely brittle, very thin FFC (flax flex cable) - these are never meant for soldering and require the use of chemicals to melt the plastic around the very thin conductive material.

I tried this hack originally, and quickly found out that it's extremely hard to do and dubious in quality.

These boards are a much better alternative: 100% new PCBs that are right-angle mounted so there is no extra stress on the (brand new) ribbon cable and connector.

This new design is a big Improvement. Believe me, if soldering the FFC was easy and worked well as a permanent solution, I wouldn't have spent a year developing these boards :)

Ooh very nice. I had mine fixed when I had my VirtualTap installed so I'm good for a while, but nice to know this exists

While not exactly arcade-related, I thought I would share my latest project here (I mean, this is the SSFD section, after all :D)

-------

We've all heard of the failed LED displays on Virtual Boy systems...
..the various fixes of gluing, 3D printing hold brackets, melting the original cable, etc...

But isn't it time for a permanent foolproof solution?

virtual ribbon5.4.1 SMALL.png

Click Here for more info or go to:

https://segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro/virtual-ribbon

This custom PCB and ribbon cable replacement set will make your Virtual Boy even better than a sealed, brand new system.

virtual ribbon web 1 small.jpg

kit pic2 small.jpg

Details are linked above.
PM me here or Contact Me to pre-order yours!
I can also solder / install onto PCBs that are sent in (for a limited time, anyway)

Taking pre-orders for the first batch of units. Depending on how many people sign up I expect ~1 month lead-time before shipping them out.

Special thanks to user RunnerPack from Planet VB forums for providing the awesome font!

headaches small.png
What is the cost to have you solder these?

Hi everyone,
All the pricing details are in the site link.

v2.0 install video here (under microscope). Note, v3.0 requires alignment in the black holder before applying solder.
The install is very hard, not recommended for anyone other than expert level soldering (i.e. many, many years of experience).
I can do the install for people for additional cost (see site link).

I have a lot of orders coming in so it's difficult to get to individual PMs, please use my contact form if you want to order one. Thanks :)

Super reasonable prices, both for the kit and the install, imo.

Update: Pre-order PCBs arrived from the fabrication !

Panel web 2.1.jpg

I went ahead and did a v3.2 bump for a couple improvements – I think it will be worth the wait (I’m always perfecting my designs, even after official releases :)

Thank you all for your patience. I know it’s been a long week, and there’s a lot going on in the world slowing things down. But I haven’t forgotten about anyone and I’ll do another batch of orders in a couple months after I finish all these installs and shipments. Full refunds are available at any time prior to shipment as well.

In the meantime, contact me through my website if you’d like to be on the waiting list :)

Last edited:
Got a couple high-quality install videos up now! Also bumped to v3.3 which is working nicely (all versions since 3.0 - first official release - work great, I'm just always doing little touchups because I am a crazy perfectionist). See below:

I have a Vboy that needs some work in general. How much for the services for a v3.3?

Btw - I had this done for my Virtual Boy - worked great and is super solid. No need to worry now about the connection!

I am not sure of the current prices - but a few months ago I paid $110 for both the hardware and for him to do the installation.

Matt

I have a Vboy that needs some work in general. How much for the services for a v3.3?
Hi, if you're interested in getting a install or kit please see my website and contact me: http://segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro/contact
I'm trying not to publish the cost of the install because it's in flux right now, depending on my time availability and stock. Ideally, I'd like to move away from installs and have a separate service to do this while I focus on more R&D.
The kit is currently $43.99 but all prices subject to change.

Thanks for your interest ! in order to keep track of all the orders coming in, please contact me here :)
Didn't see your answer here, you didn't answer my PM.
I get discouraged very easily if I have to register or go through an additional step.
I mean you're the seller, I've wrote you what I needed once already and you're asking me to do that again?
Just copy/paste my first message.

Didn't see your answer here, you didn't answer my PM.
I get discouraged very easily if I have to register or go through an additional step.
I mean you're the seller, I've wrote you what I needed once already and you're asking me to do that again?
Just copy/paste my first message.
It is difficult to check back on this forum and others for additional orders and give additional status updates via PMs.

I process all orders via my website. My website and product page and posts are clear about how to make an order.
No registration required, just a simple form to submit.

Also, my reply was to @biggestsonicfan. Sorry if I missed your PM, I get a ton of PMs from people wanting (usually free) stuff and this is another reason why I process orders via my website.

Last edited:
KCKKm2H.png

Virtual Ribbon installs and kits are 20% off, with an extra 5% ”loyalty” discount for return buyers 🙂 (Limit 2 for 25% discount). Dec 20th – January 3rd, 2022!

Kits: $43.99 (VR Kit, comes with 2x PCB sets, 2x connectors, 2x cables)
–HOLIDAY SALE -20% NOW = $35.19

Install labor, emails, packing materials*
–HOLIDAY SALE -20% NOW = $63.99

(shipping not included, $9.99 in USA)
Contact me here to order: https://segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro/contact

More details and updates at:
https://segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro/news

Attachments

• Virtual Ribbon Sale 2021.jpg
    Virtual Ribbon Sale 2021.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 135
are they kits drop in replacements? like i take my current one out and they conect without soldering etc>?

Back