What's new

Bluetear

Professional
Reaction score
Continuing my very, very small contributions to the scene through reproductions of occasionally-overlooked arcade-related art/stickers (see my TypeX2 case labels here), I've been working on a few control panel move strip fillers.

Rather than making game-specific move strips (like the awesome ones by the highly-skilled @sellsellsell2000), I wanted to reproduce some of the custom designs installed in various Japanese game centers. While not hugely common (neither Taito Station nor Sega's game centers use them, for example), some of the famous arcades have their own custom designs placed under the control panel glass of their cabs. These include a-cho in Kyoto (https://twitter.com/acho_kyoto & https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCfnriDcUslGMUMX4Ctkyjg) and Taito Hey in Akihabara (https://twitter.com/taito_hey).

Here are samples of a few I've created thus far along with photos of the originals:

Neo Amusement Space a-cho:

nxlA3LP.jpg

Taito Hey (Hirose Entertainment Yard) - Bub (a repro of this one is already sold at Arcade Art Shop, but that repro is not quite as accurate as I'd like):

X7zQ4Lb.jpg

[[Photo of original borrowed from the awesome https://arcade.tokyo/ blog]]

Taito Hey (Hirose Entertainment Yard) - Nico (inspired by Hey's "rainy day free play" signs placed on certain cabs on, you guessed it, rainy days):

27QkaK7.jpg

Mikado (not actually a repro since Mikado doesn't use them on their cabs, but I definitely wanted to make one anyway):

olh878W.jpg

I'm just about done with them, but will wait to post final, high-res files until after I receive my test prints early next week and make any necessary adjustments. I hope some of you will be interested in using the files to print a few for your own cabs. I'll have specific files sized for each of the major CP move strip dimensions (i.e., Sega CRT cabs, Taito Vewlix, Taito Egrets, and Noir/Lindbergh) along with detailed instructions for accurately printing them.

Stay tuned for the final high-res files next week...until then, cheers.

P.S. If anyone is aware of other cool, arcade-specific move strip designs, definitely post here and let me know. I'd like to expand the set.

These are awesome! I’ll definitely be kitting my cabs out with these. Most likely the HEY ones.

The only other strip I could think of is the Try Tower one but there’s a Repro if that here, unless you have better quality: https://shmup.net/try-amusement-tower-artwork/

Also, did Kawasaki Warehouse have a logo?

These are awesome! I’ll definitely be kitting my cabs out with these. Most likely the HEY ones.

The only other strip I could think of is the Try Tower one but there’s a Repro if that here, unless you have better quality: https://shmup.net/try-amusement-tower-artwork/

Also, did Kawasaki Warehouse have a logo?
Thanks, @djsheep. I think I may take a shot at a higher quality repro of the ones at Try Tower. Kawasaki Warehouse did not have a custom move strip IIRC, but I'll put it on the list for a possible inspired-by design. I also may do the same for Nakano TRF (although a custom move strip would be totally out of place at TRF), Royal Game Center, TecnoPolis, MaximHero, etc.).

Yeah, they’d probably origami the move strips at Nakano TRF and use them as ashtrays :). That place is still amazing to spectate at on weekends. I worked for a couple of years in Nakano, just a stones throw from Broadway and it’s still my favorite place to hang for a day...

Anyhows, looking forward to these files and thanks :)

Also FWIW, I believe SEGA had custom art in their Game Center’s but only for their Blast City marquee. See the Sonic cabs below, as posted by @codecrank. I have a better quality close up photo somewhere, but the cabs I had with this art are long gone. Image would make a nice strip.

39642542524_fd44f47731_b.jpg

Last edited:
Also FWIW, I believe SEGA had custom art in their Game Center’s but only for their Blast City marquee. See the Sonic cabs below, as posted by @codecrank. I have a better quality close up photo somewhere, but the cabs I had with this art are long gone. Image would make a nice strip.

39642542524_fd44f47731_b.jpg
Awesome. Added to my list. Thanks again, @djsheep. I agree that would make a great custom strip design. If you do find a clearer photo, definitely shoot it my way.

Will dig it up for you @Bluetear, also take a look at that first cab... there seems to have been an official Move Strip (it was on none of my cabs though, only marquee).

Hey @Bluetear....any chance when you are done, that I might get the PSD of the Hey=Bub and A-Cho....they are beautiful, but I'd like to edit fill colors before printing, for my own Vewlix, which runs a much darker colors scheme (L-AMI).

I have no plans on handing anyone else the work, unless you're ok with it....these are solely for me, and the color pallet im using on my cab.

The art looks great, and I'm super grateful you are sharing them with the community.

No problem, @bagheera369, I can definitely shoot you the .psd files after I complete them. Just remind me if I happen to forget after I post the final .tiff/.png files.

Will do...I'm thinking a light blue, or light grey for the A-Cho, should fit the L-AMI and button colors I used...will be interesting, and I'll make sure to show you the finished product!

I always loved seeing these. Its super awesome your preserving them / reproducing them!
For w/e strange reason I always thought the Spica Adventure cameo was a pretty cool looking one. (The one used for HEY's rainy days).

Can't wait to add these to my little artwork and scans collection I got going when you post them :)

The HEY! strip is looking pretty good, but the typeface is very different. The original has a few stylistic quirks to it that are lost when using another off the shelf font.

The HEY! strip is looking pretty good, but the typeface is very different. The original has a few stylistic quirks to it that are lost when using another off the shelf font.
I fail to see it.

Back