What's new
The HEY! strip is looking pretty good, but the typeface is very different. The original has a few stylistic quirks to it that are lost when using another off the shelf font.
Thanks for looking closely at the design, @Hatsune Mike, but actually there are various versions each with different typeface that have been produced by Taito over the years. I have studied my and others' photos of them extensively. The version that I have matched is the most common version found in Hey today and I have certainly not used a standard font to match it. The photo from Arcade Tokyo shown above includes a much earlier version that is only found on one of Hey's Egret 2 cabs today--it may actually have been replaced in the last year or two (I'm not certain). I may also try to match that particular font design at some point, but I've thus far focused on the most common design and typeface used by Hey today.

I can assure you that I have no interest in providing my own take on the designs. I have done a lot of work to recreate them as closely as possible. I'll post additional photos of the originals when I finally finish up the designs to my satisfaction.

The strip can be translated to something like: "Please refrain from sitting if not playing"
Gotcha, so that would make it a だ towards the end. To make it say ください (kudasai)

Which makes sense as it having an odd font, because it is a word said often. (not analyzed like us gaijin are doing.)

Me personally, I don't give a shit. I'm here for the Bub.

The strip can be translated to something like: "Please refrain from sitting if not playing"
Gotcha, so that would make it a だ towards the end. To make it say ください (kudasai)
Which makes sense as it having an odd font, because it is a word said often. (not analyzed like us gaijin are doing.)

Me personally, I don't give a shit. I'm here for the Bub.
Exactly right, @rewrong. It's definitely だ towards the end in the version currently used at Hey, which I've copied (this version can be seen in the image of the Masters of Ships cab above, but it's hard to see in the low-res image I've included in the post). Also, although it's tough to see in the cropped image of the older version of the strip seen in the Arcade.Tokyo photo above, the hiragana typeset used there includes the same da character, but different spacing and short vertical dakuten voicing mark as opposed to the angled-quotation-mark-like dakuten mark used in the newer versions of the strip.

I'm glad others are also interested in the designs. I'll have them ready soon.

We're all here for Bub :P

Last edited:
The HEY! strip is looking pretty good, but the typeface is very different. The original has a few stylistic quirks to it that are lost when using another off the shelf font.
Thanks for looking closely at the design, @Hatsune Mike, but actually there are various versions each with different typeface that have been produced by Taito over the years. I have studied my and others' photos of them extensively. The version that I have matched is the most common version found in Hey today and I have certainly not used a standard font to match it. The photo from Arcade Tokyo shown above includes a much earlier version that is only found on one of Hey's Egret 2 cabs today--it may actually have been replaced in the last year or two (I'm not certain). I may also try to match that particular font design at some point, but I've thus far focused on the most common design and typeface used by Hey today.
I can assure you that I have no interest in providing my own take on the designs. I have done a lot of work to recreate them as closely as possible. I'll post additional photos of the originals when I finally finish up the designs to my satisfaction.
Excellent, thank you for the clear and detailed response.

I have a Try Amusement Move-strip in my Vewlix as that's where the cab originated. There exists a marquee holder version of the Try artwork as well, I saw photos of it before my cab was shipped but sadly the marquee art was removed before shipping :(

I wouldn't mind having a repo of the move strip though as the original is quite poor quality.

I have a Try Amusement Move-strip in my Vewlix as that's where the cab originated. There exists a marquee holder version of the Try artwork as well, I saw photos of it before my cab was shipped but sadly the marquee art was removed before shipping :(

I wouldn't mind having a repo of the move strip though as the original is quite poor quality.
Awesome to have a cab with that kind of history/pedigree, @twistedsymphony. I'm definitely jealous. My work on the Try Amusement move-strip and marquee are already underway, but they are certainly a bit tougher than the others. Did your original marquee look like the Blast marquee I have a photo of below?

12NQ2e9.jpg

The artist, まるかた, prepared updated versions of the Try showgirl around 2008 (original versions are from ~2000). The 2008 versions made it into a number of the marquees, but only a few of the move strips.

If your Vewlix marquee had a different design (or if you still happen to have the photo), let me know. I know that there were also Blast marquees with the tiger character, but I don't have a great photo. I'm interested in collecting and reproducing as many OG designs as possible. Thanks!

I don't have any pictures handy but the Try move strip is still installed in the cab. As for the marquee, it was a square shaped marquee for the Vewlix marquee holder. I never got a clear pictures of it as in the early pre-shipment photos I got it was partially obscured by something else but definitely looked like some tri-placeholder art.

this is literally one of the cabs that got sold when Try closed so I'd imagine the move strip in mine is whatever the later revision is.

I have a mighty need now.
Looks like they even went through the trouble to make custom stickers for the price of the game :O

definitely would like to print/buy a HEY one for my astro. so good - thanks @Bluetear

if anyone in Aust is doing this can i get in on it and split costs ? :D

I think Officeworks can do a nice print of these on good cardboard stock @evilsim

If you have any issues mate, I can send some down. I have access to high end printing machines.

Any update on the Hey Bub strip? Are you posting files for people to print themselves.

Any update on the Hey Bub strip? Are you posting files for people to print themselves.
I will post the Taito Hey strip along with the others very soon. If not this coming week then certainly the week after. My apologies for the unexpected delay.

My time for completing the set has unfortunately been more limited over the past few weeks than I had anticipated. Most of the strips, including Taito Hey, are complete and the test prints look good. I am now just finishing up the Try Amusement Tower strip (and another I recently became aware of) before posting them all at once with specific instructions for printing them to the correct size for your particular cab. I'll have separate high res files for each of the common panel move strip sizes (Sega Astro/Blast/Versus/Net, Vewlix, Egret/AWSD, and Noir/Lindbergh).

Glad others are interested in these as well. Sorry again for not finishing up the set as quickly as I had expected.

Back