What's new

Urabutbl

Student
Reaction score
I'm the proud owner of a G-Balance Cabinet (basically an also-ran Vewlix-alike, but very nice). I've been experiencing some weird sound issues, and I was hoping this is a general fault that someone will recognize rather than a G-balance specific issue.

So, it all started when the left speaker started sounding weird. It sounds like someone is scratching or ripping stuff, and sound comes out very loud, then whisper-quiet, then loud again. The other speaker is fine. I swapped the two speakers over, thinking it was a busted speaker, but the problem persists. I even swapped in speakers from another cab. OK, so it's a connection somewhere. I decided to rewire the sound some other day, and simply disconnected the left speaker.

Now for the weird part: If I play any modern fighting game (Ultra Street Fighter 2, King of Fighters XIII) on my Taito Type X2 (using Nico's Multi-disk), the sound will just...cut out after a bit, usually between 30 seconds and 2 minutes. The cab then refuses to play any sound until I restart it. It's not the TTX2, since I can get sound by plugging external speakers to the typex2. The other thing is... if I hook the left speaker back up, the problem goes away. Though, doing this instead means I get the sounds of someone tearing a cat in two from that speaker, so that's not a viable solution. Also, so far it seems to ONLY happen on fighting games. I played an hour of Ikaruga with no issues.

I realize I probably have to rewire the sound to the left speaker, but my kids are in the middle of an epic gaming competition (I set them a list of ten arcade-game goals to achieve by weeks end if they want to earn extra robux), and before I take the cab apart I though I'd check if anyone knows what is going on.

EDIT: OK, so a development; I decided to think like an arcade cabinet-speaker maker, and reasoned that there might be some sort of safety feature in case of "overload" so the speakers don't rupture; I further theorized that fighting games are effing loud by their nature, which could account for why only those kinds of games seemed to affect the speakers. So I went into the test menu of Ultra Street Fighter IV and lowered the volume by half. It's now been going for half an hour without any issues.

Why it would work when both speakers were attached I have no idea. Maybe they "shared the load" electrically before, and now with only one speaker, really loud noises send enough a signal that some breaker switch is thrown? No clue. So, I have my fix, but if anyone who actually KNOWS what's going on can chime in, I'd be most grateful still.

Last edited:
Back