What's new

LittleLarrySellers

Professional
Reaction score
I picked up this board on KLOV sometime back and it was sold as working but annoyingly the sound effects in game were missing. Voice and music fine but no punching or fighting sounds. This also seems to be one of those later boards with no schematics which is even better for a novice like me.

After doing the usual romident checks and seating everything carefully again, I spent a lot of time looking at datasheets and checking with my audio probe on the Yamaha and NEC chips but couldn't figure it out.

Then I got lucky and found a forum post on KLOV where @caius mentioned looking at the OKI chips. I didn't even realize they were related to the audio honestly till then :) After looking at the datasheet I found the sound effects! They were indeed being fed into the OKI chip on the data pins as per my screenshot. I then tried to detect the output on DAO pin 36 and nothing so it was a failed OKI chip. I verified the other OKI chip was indeed producing output on the DAO pin so definitely bad OKI. Thanks @caius you lead me in the right direction.

Ordered some chips from China that I hoped were not fake but got impatient with waiting a month+ for them to arrive and decided to harvest a chip from a scrap board. Boy I still suck hard at soldering these fine pitch chips but the hot air rework to remove is surprisingly intuitive.

My first attempt to solder the chip produced a horrible ringing noise. Womp Womp!
My second attempt to touch up my mess restored the sound effects except they were playing wrong ones randomly. Womp Womp!
Finally, after spending like an hour with a magnifying glass and carefully touching up each pin I got it to work! Sound effects fully restored!

Woo Hoo!

Attachments

• captain1.png
    captain1.png
    618.8 KB · Views: 164
Back