What's new
Does this fit in the Lions plexi / 3d printed kit?
Are there modifications required?
I need this.

Does this fit in the Lions plexi / 3d printed kit?
Are there modifications required?
I need this.
Yes. No modification, but you’ll need a new riser. I’ll sell it and supply the STL file so you can print yourself. If you go back in the thread you’ll see pics of it.

will this fit with the current lions3 plexi? if so , count me in for one

I built a few boards, still need to make wire harnesses. It takes way longer than I anticipated to build each of these, but I’m moving along.

I’ll have an install video posted soon and may be able to start shipping some boards this week.

051297E7-978E-497D-91C3-B9001FFCC1B0.jpeg

I just had this discussion with someone else about bringing products to market... the designing and prototyping is the EASY/FUN part.

then you have to..
  • work out part suppliers and costs, delivery times etc (nearly irrelevant when buying one or two for yourself and your friends, very relevant if you're making a few dozen or more)
  • work out the cost of consumables (solder, electricity, wear and tear on your tools etc.)
  • work out "labor costs" for assembling the damn thing
  • figure out a decent production workflow so you can actually produce them in a timely manor (both to reduce costs and keep yourself from burning out) and hopefully also reduce mistakes so you don't end up with junk parts (nothing is worse than making a batch only to realize you messed something up and the whole batch is trash)
  • working out some sort of testing procedure and workflow so you know you're sending out good parts that actually work
  • work out shipping materials to make sure your parts are well protected but also keeps the shipping weight and size low, then figure out suppliers and costs for all of your shipping materials
  • work out a way to collect payments and keep orders in line so you're shipping the right parts to the right people and keeping people informed of when things shipped what their tracking info is and dealing with any problems.
  • work out an inventory system so you can keep track of what you have in stock, what you need to build, as well as material inventory so you know when to order more to keep up with production.
  • make documentation so that people know what to do with your product once they get it (believe me, people, even in this community, will misunderstand how to use even the most simple/intuitive thing)
  • field questions about your products features, and shipping, and costs, and installation, even if you've already answered them and documented the answers for others to find a dozens of times over, and lets hope you don't have any actual problems with your product because this gets amplified x1000 on top of actually figuring out a solution to the problem.
  • oh and if you want to actually build this as a business you have to actually market it and promote it, take nice photos and write posts and documents about why people should want it, and spend time engaging with the community to get the word out.

And ALL OF THAT takes away from designing and building your next great product idea.

work out "labor costs" for assembling the damn thing
All very good points, but that's the one that sticks out for me. Good thing I'm doing this for fun and only selling a few dozen. I really doubt I'm "making money" doing this after I consider everything you mentioned. I've had a lot of people want blank PCBs only to change their mind after realizing the cost to acquire and ship parts to assemble it (and the need to order from multiple suppliers in most cases).

I try not to think about it. I'll sop when it's not fun, just happy to share ideas and see that other people are interested in it. 8)

If you need any help/advice on this stuff let me know, I've been doing this with bit-district.com for 2.5 years now so I've got most of this stuff worked out.

I also don't factor in labor costs but with 3D printing there's almost no labor involved, at least not compared to PCB assembly.

For me the revenue generated from my shop just gets reinvested into more arcade hardware, tools, etc.

Back