What's new
Been lurkin. Great project! I also have my F3 set up for a lions3 plexi.

I received the board from @everten. Here are my initial thoughts:
  • The install is pretty easy. It took me two tries to get the mounting/grounding screws all the way into the heatsink.
  • The little audio connector PCB is adorable and lines up perfectly.
  • The kick harness cable is pretty stiff. It fits for sure. But I think a higher gauge wire would work better.
  • The audio output just works. 100% plug and play.
taito f3 stereo adapter a.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks @the Goat

Threading the screws is a little challenging. I'm exploring alternate options. Worst case it will remain as-is, but I can include 2 x sacrificial screws. You can also tap the thread if you have the tools.

The wire I use is high temp rated and abrasion resistant. I prefer it over cheap wire and like that it is a little stiff and will hold its shape. Unfortunately 22 gauge is the highest from this particular company. I'm open to other options if people have some good wire recommendations.

I've received some other feedback on possible ways to improve the audio circuit which I'm exploring.

The wire struck me as a bit stiff also, but I'd personally prefer that for something that should be living on the PCB and shouldn't be moving.

are you crimping this yourself or are you buying pre-crimped leads?

The wire I use is high temp rated and abrasion resistant. I prefer it over cheap wire and like that it is a little stiff and will hold its shape. Unfortunately 22 gauge is the highest from this particular company. I'm open to other options if people have some good wire recommendations.
My complaint about the wire stiffness is quite minor. And it is a non-issue once it is installed.

fvpzZvS.jpg

I guess I was beaten to the punch a bit on this review. I spent a little more time with the mod hoping I'd find some nice nugget of extra perspective, but I really don't have much else to add. Great fit. Easy install. I had no issues with the sacrificial screw, and it fits great on the amp. I also noted that the harness wires were stiff, but that doesn't actually harm anything.

How's the sound? The sound is great! Clean and loud; had zero issues making it sound good in my blast city. Kicks, uh, worked.

My mod does use the lions3 gear, and I'm very happy with it all right now. Only thing I think would be better is running the reset wire into an unused pin on a connector, but I wasn't feeling up to it this time 'round.

@ekorz - also, I think your Lions case might be installed wrong? I'm pretty sure those black 3D printed tabs go under the board not on top of the acrylic.

4B5908A6-94E8-4E0B-A1F1-97B8B044F8F6.jpeg

lol yep, got that sorted now thanks! :thumbup:
It doesn’t help he doesn’t provide instructions for those cases. I literally stared at the STV case for 30 minutes trying to make sense of it.

I messed up the second half of the F3 case install too. His UMK3 and PGM were obvious enough, and IIRC the F3 motherboard/selector case came with instructions, but the board case was just confusing enough to throw me at first.

Also (still) totally psyched for this

So how are we looking for this? :)
I need to order some parts to test a slightly modified attenuation circuit (referencing https://electronics.stackexchange.com/a/12205 for a balanced to unbalanced circuit). I'm compiling that info now. Some component positions also need to be shifted slightly to avoid possible collision with parts on the F3, a few millimeters to account in the slight variances between F3 boards.

So how are we looking for this? :)
I need to order some parts to test a slightly modified attenuation circuit (referencing https://electronics.stackexchange.com/a/12205 for a balanced to unbalanced circuit). I'm compiling that info now. Some component positions also need to be shifted slightly to avoid possible collision with parts on the F3, a few millimeters to account in the slight variances between F3 boards.
Ok :) Sounds like it is in the polishing stages though

I just placed an order for an updated version of both the PCB and tiny interconnect PCB. I'll probably have the boards in a week or two for another round of testing.

Changes after testing and feedback on the "prototype" board:
  • Updated attenuation circuit for proper balanced to unbalance output
  • Added S connector pass through for optional NH header so the amplified audio is still accessible
  • Removed redundant ground connections and tied to common ground
  • Added cutouts for Molex connector tabs on the interconnect board to better secure the connectors
  • Moved capacitor locations to avoid collision with capacitor on F3 main board
  • Shifted CPS2 connector slightly to better avoid a capacitor on the F3 main board
  • Shifted AA connector slightly further from the F3 audio heat sink

Received the new boards. Everything looks good to me. I assembled and sent one out for one last round of feedback. If all looks good I’ll have about 10 of these available to start. I’d like to trickle them out slowly in the beginning to make sure there aren’t any issues.

I still need to figure out pricing. It will most likely be more than the STV boards (which are $25 shipped in US) due to more parts, 2 PCBs, and double the assembly time.

I also don’t have a formal interest list yet for those who have PMed me about this. I’ll worry about that when the boards are ready and pricing is set. Just keep an eye on this thread. :thumbsup:

Back