What's new

YaYaLanD

Student
Reaction score
Hello !

I’m starting a new project, a bartop... but don’t be fooled, it won’t be a LCD bartop as seen everywhere over the Internet.

I want the bartop to look like old fashion with a good old CRT inside, not only a standard consumer TV, i’ll be using 2 Sony PVM9042QM units !

I made a lot of research to find inspiration for the design until i saw this for sale on Ebay. I found the design absolutely fantastic

7dd2d810.png

Then i thought that the control panel wasn’t really good and that it would be really hard to play with it.

So i kept searching something else until i stumbled on this on arcade flyers

0f89c610.jpg

I felt in love with the design but i need to recreate it from scratch, there are only 3 pictures over google from the cabinet, nothing that can make my job easy.

After a day of work under Fusion360, here is the final result :

v13_fr10.png

What will be inside ?
- PVM 9042QM (CRT Professional monitor screen with RGB input)
- Stereo sound 2x10W with 4” speakers
- volume control will be done with a knob on the control panel
- full sanwa controls (1 start, 1 select, 4 actions, joystick)
- Arduino Pro Micro for driving the controls
- Credit board + Coin validator
- Raspberry Pi3B+ with RGB-Pi output and RGB-Pi OS for Pixel Perfect 15kHz RGB output
- headphone port on the control panel, inserting a headphone will cut the speakers
- proper cooling system
- EMI filter
- cashbox

As for the finish
- mirror inox control panel
- 15mm MDF wood panels that will be covered with Burr Walnut sheets and then varnish

I want the design and the look to be as old school retro gamer as possible because i don’t like the look of the new generation bartops

What is really cool is that the front screen bezel is a perfect square, so i’ll be building two units at the same time to have one in Yoko mode and the other one in tate mode

Here are the PVM, bought for 60€ (30 each) as broken, the first one was displaying only black and white and the second one had a wobbling image because of a bad filtering capacitor.

8d840010.jpg

After reparing the screens, the first tests with the second PVM

You can see that there is a small convergence problem and that the image is rotated, let’s fix this with the help of the 240P Test Suit

I did multiple tuning :
- rotation of the entire yoke assembly to align the image to the screen
- aperture setup on the front to focus the RGB beams into a single point
- focus setup on the EHT
- pin setup for a better geometry
- setup H&V position and size
- setup H and V linearity

The result

Pictures are really hard to take and they don’t really show the result, it’s really cool

I had a chance to buy a small crt recently but waited in hopes that it would drop in price. Sadly it was bought. I am aiming for a small one to do something similar. This just looks so cool to have a mini bartop. I can't wait to see more :)

I had a chance to buy a small crt recently but waited in hopes that it would drop in price. Sadly it was bought. I am aiming for a small one to do something similar. This just looks so cool to have a mini bartop. I can't wait to see more :)
I have another 9” crt tube, brand thomson, working both on 12VDC and 220VAC... i dismantled it, cleaned it, repaired it, and removed all the parts from tuner and PAL/SECAM switching.
I bought it because it was cheap, only 5€ lol

i’ll use it into something similar but smaller, the raw tube is shorter that the PVM assembly

the TV

The tube

After repairing

Those are all the bullshit i removed from the TV

the image needs a small adjustment but it’s fair enough for another cool project

There aren’t much stuffs involved with the Pi, you have great images flying all around internet with everything ready to be used ;)

Cool project!

I have actually spotted a couple of ‘vintage’ CRT bartops on Finn this year. No idea about the history here though:

765D9BAB-F7DA-4E4C-9B6B-F7655B2D88D7.jpeg

9FF99F88-1F73-48C1-8C33-3EC03DF92A01.jpeg

Nothing as elaborate as your model, but interesting builds for sure! (Link to 1 and 2).

Attachments

• 16FB1CE8-C1EB-4968-A280-9918EE97BA99.jpeg
    16FB1CE8-C1EB-4968-A280-9918EE97BA99.jpeg
    777.7 KB · Views: 140
  • BA1B7E40-F39A-4DCB-BEA3-13F54002999F.jpeg
    BA1B7E40-F39A-4DCB-BEA3-13F54002999F.jpeg
    527.3 KB · Views: 159
Update :
I’ve started drilling the holes for the speakers. I think I will let them without the outer ring and without the grill, it looks amazingly fantastic to display them raw !

The tool i have used is really handful, i can do whatever diameter from 45 to 130mm.

i’ll make a test with some speaker canvas to give it some vintage look. I’ll put the clothe between the inner side and the speaker, recessed. Not sure it’s necessary, aesthetically, displaying the speaker is already vintage hahahah

The idea is to make something like this

Back