Anyone know any way to get a Twin Stick controller working on Playstation 2 without modding it?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Anyone know any way to get a Twin Stick controller working on Playstation 2 without modding it?

I have a Sega Saturn Twin Stick controller from Japan that I bought for the Sega Saturn game and eventually through the use of the Total Control 3 adapter am able to use it with the Dreamcast Virtual On game as well.

Sega released an Arcade perfect port of Virtual On for the Playstation 2 as part of their Ages 2500 series in Japan. Unfortunately they never released any kind of proper twin stick controller in order to play this superior version of the game with the proper controls.

I have searched far and wide for an answer to this question but have only found speculation and no definite answer. I know people have hacked apart their sticks and put a ps2 controller board in it but I honestly do not want to ruin them in that way. All I am looking for is an adapter method to hook up the Saturn Twin Sticks to the ps2 and have them work in the Ages 2500 version of the game as they should. So if there is an adapter somewhere that can properly map controls to the analog sticks (since that's how the game emulates twin sticks) properly then that would due.

Alternatively, although I doubt it would have any chance of working, my other idea would be the Playstation Analog Joystick (SCPH-1110), which basically looks like a twin stick but was made for the original Playstation, but I doubt it would have that compatibility.

So does anyone know if there is a way to get a proper set of Twin Sticks working with the Sega Ages 2500 version of Virtual on without building a custom controller or tearing apart a perfectly good pair of twin sticks?
    • Are the controls not remapable in-game? If they are then I believe the Sega Saturn twin sticks work just the same as a normal non-analog Saturn game pad... meaning any Sega Saturn to PS2 adapter should work.

The Saturn controller protocol is really simple too, if you were willing to build your own converter box that didn't require modifying the twin sticks. I have some experience with this: solid-orange.com/112

The best solution however would be to Ditch the PS2 and play the PS3 port with the official HORI PS3 twin sticks.

...or even better Ditch the PS2 and play the Xbox 360 port with the official HORI Xbox 360 twin sticks, since OMG, OT and Force all have arcade perfect Xbox 360 ports and run in high resolution (PS3 just has OMG and Marz).
      Buy 3D Printed Parts: bit-district.com
      Projects: instagram | blog
      Games: VAPS | VOOT | UMK3 | RFM | Vewlix | FiF Jr. | KI2 | E29 | Net City | DDR | Flash Beats
      Wanted | For Sale/Trade
    • If the other "Model 2 Collection" titles are an example, I would figure the PSN/XBLA versions of Virtual On are just direct arcade ports without any of the added stuff from the PS2 version which added tons of new modes and stuff which really sound cool.

I will try to pickup a copy of the ps2 version and see how it's controller mapping works, if I can simply remap the controls to the Twin sticks with an adapter it would be the next best thing to having an Arcade Cabinet of the game.
    • Here's a run down of all the different VO releases:

OMG ("Operation Moon Gate"; the first game in the series) was released everywhere on just about every platform.
      All regions of the world in the arcade,
      Saturn and PC home releases, with re-release on PS2
      PS3 and 360 received a port with upscaled graphics and online multiplayer. I don't know which version of the game was ported or about other features as I don't own this release.

VOOT v5.2 and v5.4 were Arcade (Asia) only on Model 3 hardware
      Dreamcast received a world-wide release called v5.45 which was an enhanced version of v5.4 with additional game modes, virtuoids and features

VOOT v5.66 ("2000 Edition") on NAOMI (Japan arcades only) added additional features from the Dreamcast version and more.
      v5.66 eventually got a home release on Xbox 360 This was a port of the 5.66 arcade version with upscaled graphics as well as additional game modes, the ability to play with v5.2 rules and online play.

Marz received worldwide release on PS2, no arcade versions.
      ported to PS3 with upscaled graphics and other features.

Force was originally arcade exclusive and Japan only.
      Ported to Xbox 360 with upscaled graphics, online play and other game modes. The 360 release was Japan only but it's region free.

They also made a nice 15th anniversary edition of Force for 360 with a 6-disc soundtrack, history book and DNA/RNA Oratan superballs. You can see pictures of my copy here: collectorsedition.org/game-db/…-memorial-box-15-360-ntsc

Xbox 360 is really the best platform for VO fans as it covers every variant of Virtual On except for Marz, which most fans consider to be the worst entry in the series anyway.

Border Break is considered to be the spiritual successor to VO but that is Asia Arcade exclusive on the RingEdge hardware (can't be played offline sadly).

If you're interested I have a much more in-dept post on the arcade variants here: forums.arcade-museum.com/archive/index.php/t-320567.html
      Games: VAPS | VOOT | UMK3 | RFM | Vewlix | FiF Jr. | KI2 | E29 | Net City | DDR | Flash Beats
      Wanted | For Sale/Trade
    • twistedsymphony wrote:

The Saturn controller protocol is really simple too, if you were willing to build your own converter box that didn't require modifying the twin sticks. I have some experience with this: solid-orange.com/112
      In my opinion an external controller conversion is likely your best route- I haven't looked at the twinsticks output, but it's probably pretty easy to adapt, there's no analog, so the buttons are likely just a strange mapping compared to a traditional saturn pad mapping.
    • Sadly, the PS2 version's been recompiled- the service menu strings are still evident and all, but the game's not running an emulator, so the updated game can't be loaded onto a model 2 :(
      I guess I'll have to wire up a pair of PS2's one of these days for playing that version of the game in my cabs.
    • What I was saying is the XBLA Model 2 collection games have just been pretty direct arcade ports with none of the home version bonuses so for the features it sounded like the ps2 version was the way to go. I now have a copy of the ps2 version on the way and will checkout adapters when I receive it.
    • I'm also looking to find a fix for this as well. I have the XB360 twin sticks and would love to be able to play my Sega Ages VOOMG on the Playstation 2.Virtual On Force, while it's a visually beautiful game, I find it to be slower than VOOT IMO.The limited Edition set for the XB360 is worth getting because it came with soundtracks(love the music) to all of the games and a nice little book with the history of the series.

Here's one of my fav tracks
    • SEGASHIRO wrote:

Somewhere I had a series of adapters that let me get the Saturn V-sticks running on the Xbox 360 and I think the PS2...I have to dig through some storage bins to find it.I think it was the retropad converters from Sparrow's Domain. It was a bit of a controller mess but it worked.

Any information you can provide on this would be greatly appreciated.
    • Toodles' FGWConverter wired to an MC Cthulu is likely your easiest MOSTLY-PREMADE solution.
      I'm trying to track down the control options for AGES 31 without it handy at the moment, but on Marz, you'd use Twinstick emulation mode 2 which maps the right stick to the right-side buttons of the PS2 controller, and wire the decoder (the FGWConverter) to the PlayStation encoder (the MC Cthulu)

If you need an example of what this would look like, I could likely wire up an example of this and make some diagrams/photos.

there are plenty of ways to build your own adapter from scratch as previously discussed, or just a single-chip solution involving a PIC or arduino, but the right stick on the saturn doesn't map cleanly to any standard mappings out the box.
    • you guys could hit up the oratan.com forums or the virtualon-megacorp.com forums. both communities dedicated to this franchise. I know there's a lot of information on twin stick mods on oratan.
      Wanted | For Sale/Trade