What's new

Tailsnic Retroworks

Professional
Reaction score
Hi. I have a working Virtua Striker 2 step 2.0 and a broken Jurassic Park setp 1.5. The main board of the jurassic park is broken, but we have the original secondary pcb of the jurassic one. Can I convert it to step 1.5?

No

step 1.0 only works in 1.0

step 1.5 only works in 1.5

step 2.0 works in 2.0 and 2.1

step 2.1 works in 2.1 and 2.0

exept for voot that needs Always 2.1 step rev A

most of the times the Video board fail on 1.5 due to or loose cpu feet or ram failure. The voltage over time op the psu creeps up and destroys them

from step 2 they used BGA and if the video is bad you can throw it away as BGA is no doable on the 10+ chips

if needed I have full working 1.5 stacks in stock

Greets

exept for voot that needs Always 2.1 step rev A
my VOOT is Step 2.0. Never heard of 2.1 rev A, what is that? Do you have a version that’s not dumped?

Yes there is a late revision on the step 2.1 that does not boot right on a 2.0 board the 3D looks like video board problem. If you boot it on a 2.1 rev it boots fine. Will make a picture of the Rom board when I digg it out :) . Also if you have a step 2.1 set original with a 2.1 game and it showing some Graphics issue try a 2.0 game Rom in it as sometimes that will make the game have no issues . As the 2.0 uses sometimes less gpu processor

Well, technically OP was asking if it's possible to convert, not if it works straight as is. Step 2.0 is after all just basically beefier hardware. Higher CPU clock rate, increased number of graphic chips. I don't think Step 1.5 has anything that the Step 2.0 lacks, Step 2.0 just has more.

I'm sure someone here can explain why it's not feasible, but I'm not that person.

@nem I think he was referring to ,That he had a spare 2.0 and he can just swap the boards out to work that’s why I answer with NO you can’t :) not out of the box anyway good luck setting a 2.0 to a 1.5 I’ve been in model 3 for years but never had these things work criss/cross but heey you live and you learn so maybe somebody can teach me

No, I'm asking about a conversion and if it can be used many of the original memories for the conversion or I have to burn all brand new.

I want to use the 2.0 main board and the 2.0 virtua striker 2 board to play Jurassic Park 1.5, converted.

my VOOT is Step 2.0. Never heard of 2.1 rev A, what is that? Do you have a version that’s not dumped?
I was the one who dumped it: https://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=363741

I don't recall anything being unique about the model 3 board it came on, in-fact it's an EARLIER build of VOOT 5.2 it doesn't make sense that it would only work on the LATE revision step 2.x hardware.

most VOOT 5.2 setups are "Rev B" and most versions of VOOT 5.4 is "Rev G"

I was the one who dumped it: https://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=363741
I don't recall anything being unique about the model 3 board it came on, in-fact it's an EARLIER build of VOOT 5.2 it doesn't make sense that it would only work on the LATE revision step 2.x hardware.

most VOOT 5.2 setups are "Rev B" and most versions of VOOT 5.4 is "Rev G"
Yeah but that’s on a Model3 Step2.0 motherboard, not a Step2.1 board. Right?

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blo...331377cb1a9/src/mame/drivers/model3.cpp#L6500

I didn't check and that PCB is currently buried. Do you know of an easy way to tell the difference between Step 2.0 and 2.1 without disassembling the whole stack? Between the cage, the ROM board, the COM board and the security board it's impossible to see anything on the CPU or Video boards.

I didn't check and that PCB is currently buried. Do you know of an easy way to tell the difference between Step 2.0 and 2.1 without disassembling the whole stack? Between the cage, the ROM board, the COM board and the security board it's impossible to see anything on the CPU or Video boards.
Yeah, usually I just ping @twistedsymphony and he knows that kind of thing off the top of his head :thumbup:

It's always been my understanding that Step 2.1 is just an updated version of the Step 2.0 PCB to utilize more SMD components for ease of manufacturing but is otherwise functionally identical. I could be wrong about that but until AMS's comment above I'd never heard anything to the contrary.

thats a new word for me 'voot' ? anyone explain that one

Step 1 and 1.5 have the same CPU boards but not the same video boards. Now how the CPU board of Lost World is broken is yet to be determined (maybe a bad ram chip). Does it boot with issues or not boot at all?

Back