What's new

mathewbeall

Champion
Reaction score
HI Folks,

About 18 months ago I got a WMMT3 cabinet from @rewrite and after a few months of work got it all up and working perfectly, card reader and all. It's been in solid use for that time. recently - it's been acting odd (I come in and it's off, so I have to reboot it, etc.) until earlier this week when I just couldn't get it to even load.

So - I replaced the power supply that feeds the Chihiro, and the power supply that feeds the boards (Suzo Happ) - that PS was noisy, so I knew the fan was going anyways, and had already gotten the replacement PSU.

I fired everything up - and now I get a Wheel Error - when it tries to do the first check (turning the wheel a bit to the right and a bit to the left), nothing happens. If I turn off Steering power in the menu - everything is good on the game, so I know the pots, etc. are all working. I also dropped in my replacement STR720 board for the wheel - and same behaviour.

I did hear (at one point) a strange sound coming from the big transformer in the bottom of the case. It seems like this transformer feeds most of the units, if not all - is it an isolation transformer? I don't see it output anything other than 100v on the output side (per the wiring diagram).

Is it possible the transformer is going - and thus causing my issues?

Matt

I have 2 WMMT2 cabs and have the same issue in both. I ended up doing as you did and just turned off power steering. Its seems to be very hit or miss for me. Sometimes they work but most times they dont. I even got replacement boards for each and all do the same thing. Following this thread cause id love to get force feedback working consistently again.

An update on this - I got everything buttoned up and pushed back into the corner and everything is working again. I know for sure the power supply that was driving the two boards was probably on its way out - so that would explain the black screens, etc. that would require reboots of the system.

The issue with the steering wheel not working when the Handle Check occured? Well - not sure... I am *thinking* it might be due to the EMI with where the unit is placed and *maybe* that was interferring with the serial communication over the two wires - but I have no actual explanation.

We will see if it continues to work over the weekend - and if so, will probably close this one out with "weird"....

Matt

Back