What's new

socalcade

Professional
Reaction score
Been noodling on this for a while, finally took some steps this week! My Vewlix L has a bunch of uses; MAME/BigBox, Juke box, and also Zwift / Cycling apps for our exercise bike that sites in front of it.

Specifically while biking, we've wanted a second monitor for netflix/youtube/spotify. Since I don't love any one game enough to completely kit out my Vewlix for it, art-wise, I wanted to try mounting a second screen. I bought https://www.amazon.com/ZSCMALLS-Portable-Computer-Nintendo-Raspberry/dp/B07VFF4TZG on amazon and it came this week.

To mount the monitor to the cabinet, I took a bunch of measurements of the marquee holder's metal base as well as the back of the monitor, which has two screw holes to attach the stock upholstered portfolio case. The bracket was too big, so I made a two-piece (using dovetails) basic bracket, 3D printed in PETG.

Here are some shots of the monitor atop the cabinet:
inVVwCk.png

9465QSJ.png

And one from the back, showing how it attaches to the monitor:

JSK2DmN.png

I'll post some more pictures once I have it up and running connected to the PC. I plan to test videos, Zwift, as well as BigBox's marquee mode. Will share shots when I get them. I have other, much larger monitors around the house, but the fact that this one is portable is a definite plus. If we want to take it on a trip, we just pop the screws off, put the portfolio case on, and we're off.

(Thread title changed since I'm starting some other mods)

Scored some great MicroCenter deals, so I've built myself a new PC and am transferring my old PC's guts into the cabinet. I 3D printed motherboard standoffs, a PSU bracket, and reused a drive bay from my NZXT Phantom case for my hard drives.

Initial layout:

wAamxW9.jpg

3D printed motherboard standoff; standard motherboard screw and wood screw.
9jDhTTS.jpg

Super simple PSU bracket
O6v96tM.jpg

Repurposed disk bay from my NZXT case:
zhiVWlW.jpg

To-do list:
  1. Print bracket for GPU to screw into for stability
  2. Fix SATA drive mounting bracket (possibly printing a vertical holder instead for space savings/ease of use)
  3. Screw down cables

I've love to do something like that with the portable monitor. I wonder if the 17 inch portable monitors would be a better fit. Any photos of what it looks like on? Also, the outputs areo n the side too, is it easy to hide cables?

I've love to do something like that with the portable monitor. I wonder if the 17 inch portable monitors would be a better fit. Any photos of what it looks like on? Also, the outputs areo n the side too, is it easy to hide cables?
That's possible, the monitors get pretty big; I think I saw 18.4 somewhere online but the price was $300+ and so probably not worth it. At that point, the monitor's way less portable.

I'm not able to connect it to my PC at the moment; my Z77 motherboard's USB 3 ports don't want to provide video signal to the monitor, and the USB-C to HDMI cable I have didn't work either. I did have it working last week with the supplied Mini-HDMI to HDMI cable, but now that my computer is decased, that cable isn't long enough!

I'd love to do something like this to hide the cables better:
61TZHR-2DFL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

If I can get my USB 3 ports working, I have a long enough USB-C to USB cable that should let me get some pictures. The monitor works fine as a jukebox display / marquee / youtube screen, though it may benefit from a little downward tilt. One (crazier?) idea is to actually drop the monitor down closer to the screen, like where the moveset art is in this picture:
c1f88f0f-fb6d-2148-b667-23b143ae7c6b
uDUNGOY.png

c1f88f0f-fb6d-2148-b667-23b143ae7c6b

That's just thingiverse's daily breakage, hah. Try again in a bit and it should be back up and running.

I've installed two LED strips in the movestrip as well as run a strip along the back of the cabinet. Working on recreating the Nesica panel in Fusion360 to mount my DAC, power button, and a sabrent USB hub I had laying around. Bought an LP2020ti amp, an 8" powered subwoofer, and 4 of the Dayton speakers, which I'm currently in the middle of installing. Also commissioned this panel, which should ship soon:

vlx.jpg

From there, plan is to start working on the edge-lit marquee, a la
sign.jpg

(text and style/artwork TBD)

and of course do the Hadouken mod for a new monitor!

Back