What's new

Pinball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'd be really grateful for some advice :)

I've got a Sega New Astro City with Nanao MS9 monitor, with monitor control board (located near joystick panel) 05A00675C1 (see HD photo, below). All works fine except for occasional brightness shifting between dark and normal brightness. Something on the little control board, I think, as it flickers when I tap it, and resolves when you thump the joystick panel, but I can't find any obvious dry solder joints. I removed then sprayed the board and components thoroughly with contact cleaner and it has improved, but still occasionally happens. I'm guessing replacing the brightness potentiometer might help? Is there anyone you can send these boards to for repair nowadays, or buy a replacement board and lead? Where can you buy the components from?

This problem has been bugging me for a few years, and having recently got back into JAMMA games with Darksoft's awesome multiboards for Taito F3, CPS3 and CPS2, I want to fix it properly now :)

Many thanks for any advice, guys!

BPZqFTo.jpg

Yeah, the pot sounds like the likely issue. The three gains and the brightness pot are all 3.3kohm. You could swap brightness with one of the gains to see if you a get a jumpy color.

Any idea what the component name/number is (for the brightness pot)? (I haven't got a manual unfortunately).

Last edited:
It's a generic component, available from different manufacturers. I don't think you'll find the exact one used on by Nanao in the 90's.

Variable resistor / trimmer
3.3kohm
Through hole
Pitch is 5.08mm x 2.54mm, I think

A 3kohm one will work just fine too.

Thanks I'll order this. Would be nice to fix it. The legs of the brightness pot got crushed too by folks presumably getting frustrated with brightness flickering and so they poked around, heh. I did re-solder the joints and sprayed with contact cleaner to no avail, so I think the component needs replacing. I'll report back :)

Back