What's new

St4rgalaqtic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys just looking for suggestions here, I recently got a Egret 3 and was hoping to hold off on doing the power supply while I get some other things lined up. Then I go to connect my Naomi 2 board and the power supply just chokes up, it's a Wei Ya. And I have read enough post on here to know its crap. So just looking for suggestions on a power supply, should I try to find a Taito PSU or is their another brand I should be looking at. I will mainly be running shmup Jamma boards, Taito F3, and my Naomi 2 in this cab. Any help would be appreciated.

They're not actually as bad as everyone makes them out to be so long as you're feeding it proper voltage.

Are you using a step-down? The Wei-Ya requires it.

I am not, during my research I was told that its not necessary since I live in the states. And when I first powered it up with my Strikers board it fired up perfectly. But I guess its time to invert in one, as the next cab is a Vewlix and I suspect I will face the same issues. Any suggestions on a good step down? And I guess I should try to find one with dual 100v output as I will be running two cabs.

Last edited:
I am not, during my research I was told that its not necessary since I live in the states. And when I first powered it up with my Strikers board it fired up perfectly. But I guess its time to invert in one, as the next cab is a Vewlix and I suspect I will face the same issues. Any suggestions on a good step down?
It is definitely necessary with the Wei-ya. Can't get around it. Just because it powered up fine doesn't mean it won't do damage in the long run as the power fluctuates on the Wei-Ya's when on US voltages (you can watch the LEDs on the PSU pulse in most cases).

These are great (500w is plenty for one cab):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PC4JL4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Vewlix on the other hand: it will only be necessary if you're using that same Wei-Ya PSU (most Vewlixes don't have them, only F/FC, and you'd pretty much only use it for the JAMMA kit, Naomi, or Sys2x6).

Thank you , lot to learn about these cabs and I guess I should start asking more questions as the internet information seems to not be 100% accurate. Thank you again.

Thank you , lot to learn about these cabs and I guess I should start asking more questions as the internet information seems to not be 100% accurate. Thank you again.
We're here to help!

Whatever you do though, avoid most of the info in the FB groups, lol. There's some real bad stuff going around those circles, and dudes are going to ruin their stuff.

ArcadeOtaku (both their wiki and the forum) and KLOV are both an absolute wealth of information. There's a lot of good on shmups too, but it's harder to sift through.

+1 to rewrite's suggestions. In some cases, you can get away without a step-down, but the Egret III is one of those cases where it's not recommended, if not it's a requirement to use a step-down on 120V mains.

For the power supply, you could consider going with the Wei-Ya to Mean Well PCB interface, by dewmansnk. This will make a Mean Well drop right in, replacing the Wei-Ya. You may still want to use a (smaller) step-down on the monitor, particularly if it's a Wei-Ya (and not the Toshiba).

I just ordered the step down converter, I don't want to damage or modify the cab to much. And $40 for piece of mind knowing its getting the proper voltage is ok with me. Not sure what Monitor I have in it as I have no fully taken it apart yet. I do know that it's leaps and bounds over any monitor I have ever seen in a US cab.

Good to know, step down will be here tomorrow. I will give it a test and hope for the best.

The Wei Ya power supply in my Egret3 is able to run a Naomi 1 with netdimm plus Capcom I/O board using a 500W step down converter. I don't think it's a bad power supply.
They get a bad rep, but I think they work just fine if you feed them 100v with a stepdown. Havent had any issues to date they have powered everything I have used them with.

Back