What's new

obitus1990

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,

I was considering buying a CPS2 A/B set with an infinikey already installed. I have a DarkSoft multi on the way to me. Will the Darksoft multi work on this board that has the InfiniKey installed already, or, will the Infinikey have to be removed? Why would I want to do this? In case I ever decide to de-install the Darksoft Multi from this board set, to revert it to its original state.

Thanks!

The infinikey injects only one key (for that specific game) so it would continue to do that until it’s removed, or at least removed from the circuit. I haven’t looked at it but you may be able to just disconnect power and leave the rest on.

Either way, the multi will inject a different key per game, which is why the infinikey has to be disabled. If it stayed on you’d be stuck with a broken system, except when you played that one game.

Thanks. If I were to instead buy a Phoenixed CPS2 and remove the ROMs as required and installed the Darksoft, can I revert to the Phoenixed form at a later time by just reinstalling the ROMs?

You can. There's nothing permanent about the CPS2 multi that can't be easily undone.

Yep, you could do that. The multi is fully reversible.

but you could also take off the multi and instead install an infinikey in that one too, then run the original code if/when you want :thumbsup: The phoenix romsets were a huge effort and true marvel and I don’t want to discount them or their seminal role in cps2 cracking, but they are certainly outdated now that we have ways to restore keys.

Fair warning, I’ve never read the story of someone uninstalling the multi once it’s in there. It’s epic!

I don't plan on uninstalling it given what I've paid for it :) But, I don't want to kill a functioning, unmodified B board, hence asking about the two other, already modified options.

Honestly you could even “kill” a completely unmodified B board and use that for the multi. Why? Well there is no such thing as “killing” anymore! Used to be true which is why phoenix boards were recommended, but that’s not the case now. Now you could restore an original, completely. You can replace a battery and re-inject the keys.

The only thing modified from an untouched original would be the soldering done to replace the battery, which frankly should be done anyway before it explodes and destroys the board. If you’ve got any originals you should install infinikeys or replace the batteries. Original battery is a time bomb.

Honestly you could even “kill” a completely unmodified B board and use that for the multi. Why? Well there is no such thing as “killing” anymore! Used to be true which is why phoenix boards were recommended, but that’s not the case now. Now you could restore an original, completely. You can replace a battery and re-inject the keys.

The only thing modified from an untouched original would be the soldering done to replace the battery, which frankly should be done anyway before it explodes and destroys the board. If you’ve got any originals you should install infinikeys or replace the batteries. Original battery is a time bomb.
I don't own any as of yet :) Are eBay prices obscene, just like they are for every other retro hardware genre? What would a reasonable price be for a USA/Europe/Japan A+B set for a non-rare game?

I don't plan on uninstalling it given what I've paid for it :) But, I don't want to kill a functioning, unmodified B board, hence asking about the two other, already modified options.
It is actually encouraged to kill an original functioning B-Board these days. Batteries will invariably leak as they die or, if shelved for a while, leak after they die. Once that happens, your investment is dead.

But you would kill a working on-battery B-Board to do one of the following:
  1. To wipe the encryption keys so you can install an Infinikey
  2. To wipe the encryption keys so you can install a Suicide Free Mod Chip
  3. To wipe the encrption keys so yo ucan install the CPS2 multi
    • Now if installing a CPS2 multi, it is recommended to start with a known good working board to eliminate that suicided B-Board isn't also a dead B-Board
In either of the first two scenarios above, you can restore the B-Board to battery operation after installing either of the two solutions above. Simply install the chip first. Comfirm that the chip installation restores B-Board operation. Then shut down. Then install a new battery. Then boot up to fully working operation status. Upon shutdown, the new battery ensures the injected encryption key is saved within that circuit. After which, you remove the chip and the B-Board will be on original battery operation. Only, why the hell would you do that?

Back