What's new

FakeNoose

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aside from just wiring up switches to each line (I'd rather not)
Is there a design out there for Arcade PSU's to disconnect or safely null rails on the fly so I don't have to screw/unscrew the wires to the terminals when I'm switching between boards?

I am confused as to what you’re asking. Jamma? Your psu will connect to a jamma harness, and that will connect to the board. JVS? Your psu will connect to the board and/or io via easy-to-remove connectors.

Is this for an arcade cabinet or a supergun setup? Well either way you should completely power down the PSU when switching boards.

Cabinets often have a master power switch for this. For a supergun you would unplug the PSU, or wire a switch into the A/C cord.

@the Goat you misunderstand me. I'm powering down eachtime I switch but what I don't want to do is un-screw power rails between each game. I'd like a switch placed there so all I have to do is toggle it on and off between power-downs to feed the appropriate line to each board without providing unnecessary lines. For example, my MVS is stereo modded so I remove the 12v line when I play. If I switch to SFII with mono, I add the 12v line back. having a switch to do that for me would be nice.

There’s no need to unscrew any of the voltage lines between games. If the board doesn’t need the voltage, it’s still ok if the HAS has that line connected. The board just won’t draw what it doesn’t need. Example - most of my boards don’t need -5v but I don’t ever remove that line. Same for my cabs, I keep a negatron installed at all times for -5v but it seldom gets drawn.

@the Goat you misunderstand me. I'm powering down eachtime I switch but what I don't want to do is un-screw power rails between each game. I'd like a switch placed there so all I have to do is toggle it on and off between power-downs to feed the appropriate line to each board without providing unnecessary lines. For example, my MVS is stereo modded so I remove the 12v line when I play. If I switch to SFII with mono, I add the 12v line back. having a switch to do that for me would be nice.
If you've removed all the 12V circuitry from the MVS, what harm is there in feeding 12V into the MVS JAMMA edge? Same with any boards that don't need -5V. It should always be safe to energize the standard JAMMA power pins (5V, 12V, -5V), even if the board doesn't require all the voltages.

"It should always be safe to energize the standard JAMMA power pins"

I guess that's what my question really boils down to. I figured it wasn't safe to feed a board power lines it doesn't need. Thank you both for illuminating my ignorance, I've learned something.

Back