What's new

Mrhide

Enlightened
Reaction score
So I am trying to figure out and fix the following error on my newly acquired space lords :

IMG_3049.jpg

I figured its the "video" RAM that's the issue because of the green screen and because it's the only test that fails:

IMG_3180.jpg

that side of the game boots and "play" but there are issues:

IMG_3050.jpg

like the following table is saying, "the program works but the motion objects are incorrect or non-existent" and " the text or numbers are incorrect or non-existent"

tbsht.jpg

I have verified *all roms* and they all verified ok.
I have ordered and change the "VRAM" (bottom right below) thinking they were the issue since it's really just that test that fails.
IMG_3060.jpg

Nope. No change.

weird thing: the GALS are labeled for the previous game, Moto Frenzy. I've compared my GALS to the ones from moto Frenzy and they are indeed different.

edit: WELL DAMN! guess I've got some work to do. can a TL866 properly read these?
spclordsa : 136095-001a.bin (512 bytes) - NEEDS REDUMP
spclordsa : 136095-002a.bin (512 bytes) - NEEDS REDUMP
spclordsa : 136095-003a.bin (512 bytes) - NEEDS REDUMP

Could the result of the video ram test failing be elsewhere?

the blue:
IMG_3091.jpg

and LOL, the white-a:

IMG_3092.jpg

Before I go and swap things between the working board and the non working board, possibly making it worst, anyone ever seen something similar and have any bright ideas?

Thank you!

Last edited:
The video RAM that appears to be bad is the alphanumeric and playfield RAM. The RAMs you changed are for the motion object framebuffer.

Try replacing 21M and if that doesn't fix it, 21N. I believe they're socketed.

Last edited:
The video RAM that appears to be bad is the alphanumeric and playfield RAM. The RAMs you changed are for the motion object framebuffer.

Try replacing 21M and if that doesn't fix it, 21N. I believe they're socketed.
Hello Phil,
Thank you ! they are indeed socketed :
IMG_3188.jpg

Will give it a shot and report back.

I have a Road Riot board that had *one* ms62256l-70pc so I swapped it to 21M and no changes.
I then swapped the one that was in 21M to 21N and voilà, game fully working!

IMG_3267.jpg

Just in time for a friend of my daughter to arrived! We played a couple of 4 player games. Enough to tell me that yup, I'm going to have to get this thing out of the shed and in the basement!
thanks @Phil Bennett for the tip ! :D

Back