What's new

narf

Student
Reaction score
Hello,
I've just started using my HAS. it works great on most of my PCBs however some just display a blank screen (the board is running fine, just not displaying picture properly). Sometime the picture displays briefly then disappears.
I'm using the following configuration:
- HAS V4.1
- SCART cable supplied with HAS kit
- Sony PVM 2950Q
- gscart SCART switch (doesn't seem to matter what port I plug it into on the switch)
- HAS set to buffered Csync
- PVM has internal 75 Ohm termination
- I dont use any sort of sync stripping

boards that display this issue include:
- ghosts n gobline
- tumblepop
- cabal

any help appreciated!

I don't own GnG, but my TP and Cabal work fine on my consumer CRT, but I know some PVMs/CRTs are picky with sync.

Try the other settings on the SW2 (sync). It should be starting on Buffered, try Unprocessed first, then Regenerated.

1. Make sure you change switch while HAS is off.
2. Ensure you are giving enough voltage as well. My Cabal needs about 5.08 to work well. (NOT 5.8v)
3. Ensure you using a correct JAMMA adapter for GnG and not plugging directly into the HAS as it's not JAMMA.

Sounds like a sync issue, dont think anything is wrong with the HAS.

I have a 2950Q myself, I went through a few cables and sync bullshit before i found the combo that worked on most all stuff.
Ill try do dig up what I got, but Im sure @RGB and others will chime in on what to do before I do :)

I think it's a sync issue too. These boards work fine in my candy cab with the same power supply. The RGB SCART cable I got straight from Mike when I bought the HAS so I thought it couldn't be the cable.
I dont have any sync issues with my other consoles or MiSTer on this PVM.
I've tried regenerated sync and it makes no difference. I'm not game to try Unprocessed - it comes with a warning in the HAS manual for that option, I don't want to break anything

How are you hooking up the bnc plugs in the back?

Are you using Line 3 input?

RGB and yellow on HD/COMP? You need CSYNC which the HAS puts out.

If you are using scart connectors make sure csync is wired to pin 20.

yeah it's line 3 RGB CSYNC. Its wired to pin 20 :thumbsup:
no issues with all the other CSYNC stuff I hook up to it - 7 other consoles and a MiSTer

yeah it's line 3 RGB CSYNC. Its wired to pin 20 :thumbsup: no issues with all the other CSYNC stuff I hook up to it - 7 other consoles and a MiSTer
in that case its probably wacky board sync issues, I have run inot a few of those and being that the pvm is not an arcade monitor thats how it goes, but I wish luck that you figure it out. Please post up results whatever happens.

Careful with unprocessed sync and the scart switch. Take the scart switch out of the equation and you'll be much safer.

I think it's a sync issue too. These boards work fine in my candy cab with the same power supply. The RGB SCART cable I got straight from Mike when I bought the HAS so I thought it couldn't be the cable.
I've tried regenerated sync and it makes no difference. I'm not game to try Unprocessed - it comes with a warning in the HAS manual for that option, I don't want to break anything
You can try unprocessed, it's a CSync that comes directly from the game (almost - there's a 470R resistor in series). You could even try "TTL" setting in this mode, because if the PVM has 75R termination, the output amplitude will be 0.6-0.8Vp-p, which is still ok.

You can try unprocessed, it's a CSync that comes directly from the game (almost - there's a 470R resistor in series). You could even try "TTL" setting in this mode, because if the PVM has 75R termination, the output amplitude will be 0.6-0.8Vp-p, which is still ok.
would it be ok to run this through my gscartsw switch? or should I go direct to PVM?

would it be ok to run this through my gscartsw switch? or should I go direct to PVM?
I would say go straight to the PVM to eliminate possible items in the chain that can cause an issue. It easier to test/troubleshoot direct first, if it works then add items and test again.

ok changing to unprocessed worked. All boards tested and working 8) It also works fine through the gscartsw. Thanks RGB I wouldn't have been game to try that option without your recommendation.

ok changing to unprocessed worked. All boards tested and working 8) It also works fine through the gscartsw. Thanks RGB I wouldn't have been game to try that option without your recommendation.
one thing I'll add is while unprocessed CSync works it's not as clean.. I get some crosshatching and faint jailbars

IMO Sync should ALWAYS be set to unprocessed, you only process it if it won't sync raw (some need it).
I've said it once I've said it 1,000x, OSSC HATES messed with syncs. Seems PVM is the same it this regard?
I get some crosshatching and faint jailbars
Video noise, its a problem for most people.
I found that by spacing out my devices and using thicker shielded cables I was able to remove 99%.
Processing/regenerating acts like filtering I'm assuming?

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO Sync should ALWAYS be set to unprocessed, you only process it if it won't sync raw (some need it).
I've said it once I've said it 1,000x, OSSC HATES messed with syncs. Seems PVM is the same it this regard?
I get some crosshatching and faint jailbars
Video noise, its a problem for most people.I found that by spacing out my devices and using thicker shielded cables I was able to remove 99%.
Processing/regenerating acts like filtering I'm assuming?
yeah is seems like Buffering is a cleaner signal for me. I can't tell you why. Board and cables all in same position. Only thing that's changed is the CSync switch on the HAS ?( . If I bypass the gscartsw its marginally cleaner. All cables are packapunch from retro gaming cables UK. Switch the same board to Buffered and it's crystal clear.

Well, I guess I wasn't convincing for you, but my advice (as I've given it dozens of times) pays off again! :P

@RGB is the one who educated me on his awesome HAS so it wasn't info pulled out of my ass! Next time, I'll just say, @RGB recommends... that way his time isn't wasted jumping into threads and he can keep working on the next version of the HAS!

Back