What's new

peet

Student
Reaction score
Hi,
I bought a Darksoft Multi CPS2 kit last week and installed it on the day of arrival. It works just fine with unencripted roms but not the encripted set.

The donor board is a Marvel vs Capcom. This is actually a revision 4 board that was factory converted by Capcom. It has a GPal and a jumper wire on the reverve of the board. I have left the jumper wire in place. It was fully functional with battery. Battery removed
I have set all the jumpers as per the instalation guide
The 2 Darksoft boards are correctly installed and seated and the sd card works (evidenced by the unencripted roms working fine)
I downloaded the encripted and unencripted roms from the same advertised source
The key writing wires are installes correctly and I have done a continuity test on each wire right from the wire attached to the darksoft board all the way to the point on the a board (also checked from pad to spot on b board)
I changed wire type to kynar wire incase the first wire I used had too much resistance
I have shorted EXC5 at least 5 times for up to 1 minute.

When I use encripted roms, the game starts to boot then either shows zeros and 1s on screen (1944) or flickers a bit then goes black(mighty pang)

The LCD always shows a success whether using encripted or unencripted roms.

I have ran the 2 test programs from the SD card and both completed fine.

It may be in my head but I have noticed unencripted games take longer to flash than encripted ones.

I will attach photos but at this point have tried everything I can think of or have read about.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4171.jpg
    IMG_4171.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_4172.jpg
    IMG_4172.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_4173.jpg
    IMG_4173.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_4174.jpg
    IMG_4174.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_4175.jpg
    IMG_4175.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_4176.jpg
    IMG_4176.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_4179.jpg
    IMG_4179.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Make sure the SD card to formatted to 4gb only and the key writing wires are as short as possible. Also make sure that the 5v source is close to 5V.

This sounds to me that the encripted set is not good. Compare the 2 sets and see if the amount and size of files is the same on both for each version of the game.

Thanks for the replies. I have checked the voltage at the edge connector and am getting 5.08 on the 5 and 13v on the 12.
The sd card has a 4gb fully formatted partition (works with the unencrypted set)
I have compared mighty pang and 19xx files and they are the same size (in the encrypted and unencrypted sets).
one of the games when trying to run unencrypted the screen flashes then I get a white screen.
I think the cables are as short as I can make them (for the key writing)

Is there anything special I have to do with the encrypted set that I dont have to do with the unencrypted set (any additional files I have to add to the folder for example)?

Thanks

Last edited:
those voltages are a bit high, specially the 12V. Try to take them down as close as possible to 5V and 12V.

Can you post a couple of pictures of your setup?

Hi, there are some pictures attached to this post or should I add some additional ones? I have a 6 month old suzo happ switching power supply which I use for all the other games. I can dial down the voltage slightly to see if that helps.

I have dialed down the voltage slightly to 4.99v which hasn't made a difference. I tried a different encrypted game this time vasmpire slayer I think and that one green screened. The other white screened.

That's a problem with key injection. Are you sure that the cables are properly wired. I can't say from your pictures. Please double check.

Hi, just double checked with continuity meter:

Clock - a31
Data - a32
Setup 2- A29
Setup 1 - A30

Some games start to boot and crash, some solid coloured screen.

I have another cab with a different power supply I could try?

Tried it in my other cab and it’s the same in there. Some games start to boot then crash, one solid white screen, one had a couple of pixels running round the screen. Switched to the unencrypted roms and they work.

I have read somewhere that some version 4 boards just won’t work. Could that be the case here?

I'm thinking the key writing wires are either in the wrong order or not making good contact.

In the photo above it looks like your CN2 A30 and A31 may be bridged as well.

You also need them to be in the right order:

3-4-1-2

Pad 3 to A29
Pad 4 to A30
Pad 1 to A31
Pad 2 to A32

Your location says Newcastle, are you Newcastle England or Newcastle Australia?

Hi,

I have checked with continuity meter all the way through to the A board:

Clock - a31 - pad 1
Data - a32 - pad 2
Setup 2- A29 - pad 3
Setup 1 - A30 - pad 4

They all check out. I have also tested for cn2 and there are no bridges. Using a decent Fluke 79 III multimeter too.

Im in Newcastle, England.

Hi,

I purchased a working version 6 board to try and resolve the problem, I also installed the key writing quick solder board.

I have not touched the jumpers on the version 6 board (I dont believe you need to modify jumpers anymore). Now I am getting a solid white screen using encrypted and unencrypted roms.

I have reseated boath boards twice and checked the interconnect.

I have not touched the gpal on this board as I dont believe you need to.

Is there anything else I can try at this point?

Thanks.

can you show a picture of you interconnect the 2 PCBs of the kit?

Hi, here are some pictures. I have also ran the 2 test programs and they dont report an error:
IMG_4271.jpg
IMG_4274.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4272.jpg
    IMG_4272.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 112
Are you sure that the tiny PCB joining the 2 PCBs of the kit is sitting properly on the side of the bigger PCB of the multi?

Can you show a picture from above of the smaller PCB of the kit, the one connecting to the Program Roms.

Hi, I think so. I have attached some pics:
4244BD19-83BA-4320-8C6F-B14BB99B165B.jpeg

Attachments

• C1808AF3-A3A0-48A7-B12F-9F0026BDDD16.jpeg
    C1808AF3-A3A0-48A7-B12F-9F0026BDDD16.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 122
If you are confident that it's sitting properly, try pushing a bit more, but very gently ;)

Can you show a picture of the area where the ARM processor and the key injection connector is?

Back