What's new

SEGASHIRO

Professional
Reaction score
Hello All,

I got my hands on a Konami Surprise Attack board and it booted up and was playing generally fine. I noticed a small graphics glitch on the characters and so I pressed down on the rom chips to make sure they were seated correctly and there was a socketed chip that seemed to be shaky.

I pressed gently (or so I thought) on the socketed chip but it flew off the board and broke a leg. :( Please see the picture (not my actual board but good for showing the location)

Surprise Attack Konami Chip.jpg

The socketed rom is at the 6264-100N & J24 position and the chip has a code of KM6264BLS-10 216 Korea. The game played in English. Is there anyway to get a burned rom to replace the one that broke easily? The rom chip itself looked a bit beat up with very bent legs like the person before jammed the chip in without care. Also, judging by other pictures my board had a socket put in it.

close up of rom.jpg\
And yes, the rom isn't inserted in this picture. The leg is already broken but I wanted a good close up shot of the socket and rom.

Hopefully, someone can help me!

Cheers & Thank you!

This is not a ROM but a SRAM -> 8Kx8 bit Low Power CMOS Static RAM
You can find them on ebay or your local electronics dealer.

Thanks for the help. So, there isn't any data on the chip itself? The data gets loaded on to it?

I think it's Video Ram Chip, and as mastercello said...no data on it.

That would make sense as without it I just get garbled garbage. What numbers are important in the SRAM code. I can find ones that have the beginning part of the code: KM6264BLS-10 216 Korea

I can find chips with the KM6264BLS-10 but not the 216 part. Does that matter? I can find KM6264BL-10 406Y Korea and/or KM6264BL-10 314Y Korea are these ok replacements?

Thanks again for your help.

That would make sense as without it I just get garbled garbage. What numbers are important in the SRAM code. I can find ones that have the beginning part of the code: KM6264BLS-10 216 Korea

I can find chips with the KM6264BLS-10 but not the 216 part. Does that matter? I can find KM6264BL-10 406Y Korea and/or KM6264BL-10 314Y Korea are these ok replacements?

Thanks again for your help.
Those should work. That 216 is probably a batch number.

Ok...after China sent me the wrong chips...I have finally gotten a replacement! Hooray. The board boots up and is playable however there are some distracting glitched lines through the main sprites and the text that pops up on the screen. It isn't the whole sprite but one or two lines.

I ran the board in test mode and the graphic roms came out as reading "ok."

Any ideas on where to go next?

Update:

So, I managed to get this fixed and running great. It turns out the last issue was one of the ICs on the board. That was changed and the caps were changed (just because).

The repair master from CGCC (Canadian Classic Game Collectors) who did this fix for me is unfortunately not repairing boards any more as he was forced to get rid of his equipment.

That said he did manage to accidentally solve the TMNT sound issue before he stopped:

TMNT sound fix

Last edited:
Back