What's new

Kujako

Grand Master
Reaction score
I know this is a subject that has been covered often, and I have reviewed the various threads on the subject and have tried everything suggested. Shorting exc5, checking all connections, reformatting SD card, etc. I am using the ROM pack "Darksoft CPS2 2020-05-24" with a kit purchased this month, so presumably has the most recent firmware. I am using the Arthrimus "CPS2 Multi Kit Key Writing Quick Solder Board" and a Sandisk 8GB micro SD. Voltage is as close to 5v as I can get. Kind of stumped as to what else to try. The flashing process runs as I would expect it to, with everything showing correctly on the LCD (LCD screen in image is washed out, but it is displaying correctly).

Any suggestions or help would be very much appreciated. Donner board was a green Street Fighter Zero 2 revision 7 board and I included a PAL-G when I ordered from HighscoreSaves.

(please excuse the mess)
No mater what I flash, I get the blue screen...
IMG_0656.jpg

5.03v
IMG_0657.jpg

Everything seated.
IMG_0659.jpg
IMG_0660.jpg

All LEDs and screen running as expected.
IMG_0655.jpg

Arthrimus kit. It is possible, that one of the two solder through holes on Setup 1 & 2 isn't making contact, but as I said it looks right when flashing and restarts as expected.
IMG_0661.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0658.jpg
    IMG_0658.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 238
Try a game that doesn’t use a key, like MvsC character unlock.

If you think the quick solder board isn’t connected somewhere, test that with a multimeter! You could use the original solder points to make sure. Test these points (but not swd5) with the cables plugged into the b board so you can make sure they’re getting continuity the whole way

index.php

Also, formatting with a Mac by chance?

Downloading the old unencrypted rom-pack, will give that a try. As for testing the solder points, I’m not sure where the setup 1&2 pads trace to, so not sure where to test from. Looks like to pins on the adjacent chip?

edit: formatting on windows.

Data - CN9 #2
Setup1 - CN9 #3
Clock - CN9 #4
Setup2 - CN9 #5

Sorry... where about is CN9? Do you mean on the CPS2 board? The issue is that the pads on the multikit are inaccessible I need to test from CN9 to somewhere other than the Setup 1&2 pads.

Last edited:
Try a game that doesn’t use a key, like MvsC character unlock.
So looks like the old unencrypted ROM pack works... so my guess is that the Setup 1 or Setup 2 connection isn't working right so the key programming is failing. Bah!

Edit: Quick re-solder job, and it's working. Thanks @ekorz for talking me through it.

Last edited:
Back