What's new

BuddyC

Champion
Reaction score
Hi!

Monitor padawan need help from the monitor Jedis!

Got a nice Capcom Impress last week that cleaned up real nice!

Gorgeous burn free tube by Toshiba was the cherry on top, but the chassis has got me slightly worried.
First of all. Everything works and PSU supply’s a steady 5v, 12v and negative 5. Colors looks great and all games tested runs perfect, but I have found some potential future problems/issues that needs to be addressed sooner than later.

1)Flyback makes a pretty loud buzzing sound. Had no problem adjusting the screen or focus and is not something I hear before I remove the access panel, but definitely louder buzz than my Astro City with MS8 chassis and my New Net City with a PD1843 chassis.

2) Screen shakes a little in the bottom left corner and it sometimes looks like the screen zooms in and out a little when I play 3rd strike. Really fast and only notable on the superbar at the bottom, but did not notice this on my Astro or Net City.

3)Not a lot of info around for the Hitachi GML chassis, but would a Nanao MS9 be compatible with this Toshiba tube? Would need some custom cables etc to work with the PSU, but I could fix that without issues. A MS9 would also be much easier to repair down the line if needed...

FCAF8BB8-7727-4122-8B2F-1393D7FB6099.jpeg
7B1B79FC-0FD4-4072-A5FE-F0585DF01F22.jpeg

Any info and tips would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• E9917443-327D-4AAE-B1EA-F609C803991C.jpeg
    E9917443-327D-4AAE-B1EA-F609C803991C.jpeg
    602.5 KB · Views: 280
  • 49E26CEF-AA59-4441-8F4A-3C313E7571D1.jpeg
    49E26CEF-AA59-4441-8F4A-3C313E7571D1.jpeg
    518.4 KB · Views: 212
Generally speaking, as long as a tube has a compatible curvature to your bezel, uses the same pinout/socket type, and has the same G1 and Heater voltages, you should be fine. Unless you're planning on swapping the yoke, that's where the real trouble will be.

In this case, the A68KJU96X is the same tube type as used in the New Astro City, so that shouldn't be an issue.

You'll need to measure the inductance of the yoke to be sure that it would be compatible with an MS9, unless someone else has already done that and has the specs somewhere.

Thanks man! Think I’ll go for as MS9 if I do the swap. Worked on far to many D9200 that had some serious calibration headaches... I hate that fucking chassis :D

But how much pain in the ass would it be to install my PD1843 chassis in my Impress?
Got a spare chassis for my NNC being delivered this week.

A Tri-sync Impress would be pretty sexy....

9C5229E5-952E-483A-9728-10FA67E64036.jpeg

the focus might still be a turd. However with the different yoke the image might be a bit wider, so rather than slightly lower HV to fix the sizing issues, in this case you might be slightly raising HV. Doing that should also very slightly raise the focus voltage proportionately, so that might net you some usable focus.

Yup. Rémi is a great guy and makes quality stuff. He offered to sell me a plug and play kit with a serviced MS9 chassis, remote and all cables for a decent price. Also really tempting...

Well.... I found the problem. Turned on the Impress for a quick round of 3rd strike. Screen started to wobble like crazy... Did not look good.
Turned of the Impress and opened the access panel for a quick look. Everything looked ok. Nothing disconnected etc.

Turned it on again and got this crazy lound buzzing sound from the flyback. Like scratching and old LP really fucking slow and loud. Scared the shit out of both me and the wife!
Did not get to see if there was arcing from the flyback since I turned it off as fast as humanly possible.
Unplugged the monitor from the PSU and PSU still tested out good. Don’t have the nerve to test the monitor again. My only hope is that the whole cab is FUBAR after this.
Real fucking scary....

Time for a chassis change I guess ... ||

Well.... I found the problem. Turned on the Impress for a quick round of 3rd strike. Screen started to wobble like crazy... Did not look good.
Turned of the Impress and opened the access panel for a quick look. Everything looked ok. Nothing disconnected etc.

Turned it on again and got this crazy lound buzzing sound from the flyback. Like scratching and old LP really fucking slow and loud. Scared the shit out of both me and the wife!
Did not get to see if there was arcing from the flyback since I turned it off as fast as humanly possible.
Unplugged the monitor from the PSU and PSU still tested out good. Don’t have the nerve to test the monitor again. My only hope is that the whole cab is FUBAR after this.
Real fucking scary....

Time for a chassis change I guess ... ||
If the crt and the psu are still good, you just need to swap in that ms9. Of all the chassis I’ve owned, ms9 are like tanks.

Do not replace the hitachi GMK29FS chassis with nanao ms9, you will get the screen pinched on center due to a slight difference in the yoke inductance, I have already tested this on my impress, just recap your chassis and replace that flyback (hitachi 2435048 you can find it on EBAY just now, it Is a China copy but works, also GMK29FS is a bit better than ms9 in 15khz.

Last edited:
Do not replace the hitachi GMK29FS chassis with nanao ms9, you will get the screen pinched on center due to a slight difference in the yoke inductance, I have already tested this on my impress, just recap your chassis and replace that flyback (hitachi 243508 you can find it on EBAY just now, it Is a China copy but works, also GMK29FS is a bit better than ms9 in 15khz.

Is there a difference between the Hitachi GMK29fs and the Hitachi GML?

just to be clear GML is stamped on both GMK29FS (capcom impress) and GMK29FS3 (super neo candy 29) main pcbs, you have the original/genuine chassis which drive a toshiba 29" tube. To fully fix your chassis just replace the flyback and caps on primary psu section and the ones near the heatsinks, also check the high voltage film caps that sometimes fails too. It's just a very easy chassis, all components are well spaced, it will deliver a gorgeous picture for another 25 years!

Hmm. I was already set to swap out my Hitachi Chassis to an MS9 this weekend. My Hitachi just didn't have the color vibrancy and was beginning to make that noise that BuddyC described.
In my research, it seemed the MS9 was a drop in replacement, going to be pretty bummed if it doesn't work perfectly.

Hmm. I was already set to swap out my Hitachi Chassis to an MS9 this weekend. My Hitachi just didn't have the color vibrancy and was beginning to make that noise that BuddyC described.
In my research, it seemed the MS9 was a drop in replacement, going to be pretty bummed if it doesn't work perfectly.
It will work but the picture will be a bit smaller at center of the screen and nothing you can do to correct this with all ms9 geo settings unless you will swap the original yoke with the nanao one.

Thats a nanao ms9 on capcom impress, take a look at this photo, this was made with nanao ms9 on "narrow" (normal) position you will prefer to put the selector on "wide" but not will solve 100% the issue due to the yoke differences.
The second photo, is a GMK29FS3 from a Neo 29, it is suitable on the capcom impress without any issue, as you can see it is basically the same as the GMK29FS eccept for the black plastic frame..

Attachments

• narrow2.JPG
    narrow2.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 207
  • DSC_0794.JPG
    DSC_0794.JPG
    194.2 KB · Views: 169
Back