What's new

ItsBobDudes

Professional
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am fairly new to arcade boards and I am picking up the details as fast as I can. I am looking at a lot of Japanese listings for Super Street Fighter IIX GMC that are "batteryless".

My question is are these how they came from Capcom? Are they pheonixed?

I ask the seller and I usually just get a response saying the board is working.

Thanks!

If it's batteryless it's been Phoenixed (edit: or has an infinikey). Original boards will run on battery.

Now that keys can be restored, it's possible to revive a board without Phoenix code. Personally I don't mind either way (battery vs Phoenixed) and have some boards of each.

For ease of normal use, if you can't solder and don't want to worry about a board suiciding, a batteryless (aka Phoenixed) board is great.

Last edited:
No battery doesn't necessarily mean a phoenix board. It could mean that the encrypted ROMs have been replaced with decrypted ROMs and placed on the board. Could also mean that they are using an Infinikey which replaces the battery and serves to provide the decryption key to the CPU.

No battery doesn't necessarily mean a phoenix board. It could mean that the encrypted ROMs have been replaced with decrypted ROMs and placed on the board. Could also mean that they are using an Infinikey which replaces the battery and serves to provide the decryption key to the CPU.
I didn't know the specifics of the infinikey but that's neat.

By Phoenixing I literally meant "the encrypted ROMs have been replaced with decrypted ROMs and placed on the board" as you said. A lot of people use that term even if it's the avalaunch set.

Ahhhhh. Gotcha. Didn't know if you were referring to the old Razoola Phoenix ROMs or not and just wanted to clarify. :)

Back