What's new
Discharged the tube with my fancy tool and got the monitor out, found the ‘black goop’ I kept reading about.

Going to bring it to PNL tomorrow to get a second opinion on it.

E364EE82-1E5B-4A38-A217-D6FAA26D63AF.jpeg
3BDCABA9-8066-4214-ABA3-0C2AC3531EA3.jpeg
F4A77163-A708-4985-AA37-CA2B59D118FF.jpeg

0B7F9ED0-70A6-4015-968B-80406202191A.jpeg

Attachments

• E1E8D578-C33C-4574-90ED-0A4F634B8457.jpeg
    E1E8D578-C33C-4574-90ED-0A4F634B8457.jpeg
    248.4 KB · Views: 120
  • 91B87A04-6FB0-4DFA-BE6D-4A454892917F.jpeg
    91B87A04-6FB0-4DFA-BE6D-4A454892917F.jpeg
    335.2 KB · Views: 133
  • 04965B66-C619-4FD3-BC3B-8437738525AA.jpeg
    04965B66-C619-4FD3-BC3B-8437738525AA.jpeg
    352 KB · Views: 122
  • 2E7A7D9B-78A8-4771-8E75-008BFC103042.jpeg
    2E7A7D9B-78A8-4771-8E75-008BFC103042.jpeg
    323.6 KB · Views: 126
Discharged the tube with my fancy tool and got the monitor out, found the ‘black goop’ I kept reading about.

Going to bring it to PNL tomorrow to get a second opinion on it.
The black goop doesn't do any damage to the chassis. It comes from that coil near the HOT and it typically happens on all the 2930/31 models. It's just showing it's age. If you're going to cap the entire chassis though, you might as well clean it up. You'll have to remove the flyback to really get in there with a toothbrush and isopropyl alcohol

PNL won't clean it unless you tell them to, and I am sure they'll charge you extra for it. They just fix whatever issue you're having with the chassis and send it back.

woa! I plan on cleaning up a blast I got from KC this weekend. It's definitely on the filthy side of the spectrum.

Curious, how is the actual picture look when its on? I can see the burn in the tube in your picture, but is it visible when its on?

Mine definitely has burn, but its pretty even. You can't make out what the burn in says. My picture looks exceptionally bright and clear so I'm quite happy with the monitor quality. According to KC the monitor was recapped....it does have the typical blast corner convergence issues however.

I have Metal Slug 3 burn on my Blast City tube, but it's only noticable on solid white/grey screens (such as the Naomi load screen).

It's really a minor annoyance and reminds you of the cabs history.

I like the idea of the Naomi Netdimm I think, so I might try and work on that on the side as I get this Blast City up and running with a PCB game sooner.

Thanks for your time!
Your cab power CN3 connector is currently not wired for Naomi (the 3.3 volt) but it can easily be added to your existing CN3 connectors:

You'll want to bookmark this guy: https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Sega_Blast_City_Wiring_Guide and Digikey sells the connectors you'll need

VLP-08V_tmb.JPG
455-2353-ND VLP-08V CONN PLUG HOUSING 8POS VL SERIES 0.96$
VLP-06V_tmb.JPG
455-2352-ND VLP-06V CONN PLUG HOUSING 6POS VL SERIES 0.82$

and the pins for it:
SVF-42T-P2.0_tmb.JPG
455-2347-1-ND SVF-42T-P2.0 CONN SOCKET 16-22AWG CRIMP TIN 0.13$

Mark your caps with a felt tip pin so if they change them youll know if they change them all. When a company does a cap kit they need to change them all not just a couple

In regards to cleaning, I always clean cabs up first, makes working on them so much better. For the washing use simple green and distilled water. Dry immediately after. I bought this Air blower for dusting my PC fans and vents but it's been used in so many other applications I find it to be indispensable.

Ok, I think I got myself acquainted with the terminology and things I need to do in order to run various setups inside my blast city.

The cost of running a legit copy of a naomi game was going to be roughly the same as a netdimm setup, so I opted for the latter.

I ordered the following...

NetDimm Module with 4.02 firmware, 512MB Memory zero key installed and pre-configured to netboot
Multi-Region switchable bios chips - (created by p1pkin) - Includes both Naomi 1 and Naomi 2 bios chips
Naomi Null Security PIC
Rasberry Pi 3 Model B w/ LCD Screen kit installed - Mounted in clear case, screen is blue
Naomi Motherboard to female USB adapter
90 degree Micro USB Cable - to power Pi Module,
64 GB Micro SD Card -
CAT-6 Ethernet Patch Cable
JAMMA/JVS 001 Loom

What I have left to order is the actual Naomi Board, if from what I read is correct.

My blast city has the regular Sega Jamma IO board not the JVS one.

Do I need to order a JVS power supply for the Naomi to power it, or will the 001 Loom allow me to power the Naomi? (Sorry if what I'm asking doesn't make sense, without having the wiring in front of me I might be talking total rubbish)

Do I need to order a JVS power supply for the Naomi to power it, or will the 001 Loom allow me to power the Naomi? (Sorry if what I'm asking doesn't make sense, without having the wiring in front of me I might be talking total rubbish)
A naomi with normal carts will run fine on a stock power supply for the blast. However when you throw in a netdimm things start to get power hungry. I have never tried running a netdimm set up in mine, but others claim the naomi won't boot without a secondary power supply for the naomi.

I would try recapping the stock power supply and hope for the best that it'll boot the netdimm. However if it doesn't, the 400-5443 Sun Power Supply is the way to go.

A naomi with normal carts will run fine on a stock power supply for the blast. However when you throw in a netdimm things start to get power hungry. I have never tried running a netdimm set up in mine, but others claim the naomi won't boot without a secondary power supply for the naomi.
I would try recapping the stock power supply and hope for the best that it'll boot the netdimm. However if it doesn't, the 400-5443 Sun Power Supply is the way to go.
Got it. How about the IO board? I believe mine has the factory Sega Jamma one, I'd need one to be able to convert the controls to USB for the Naomi right?

A naomi with normal carts will run fine on a stock power supply for the blast. However when you throw in a netdimm things start to get power hungry. I have never tried running a netdimm set up in mine, but others claim the naomi won't boot without a secondary power supply for the naomi.I would try recapping the stock power supply and hope for the best that it'll boot the netdimm. However if it doesn't, the 400-5443 Sun Power Supply is the way to go.
Got it. How about the IO board? I believe mine has the factory Sega Jamma one, I'd need one to be able to convert the controls to USB for the Naomi right?
You'll something like the Capcom IO or the SEGA IO.

If you do decide to run a second PSU to support your NetDIMM set up, you can tap 120v off the Blast I/O board and use that to power the Sun PSU. Works fine in my Blast.

I am running a naomi netdimm setup directly on my (recapped) Blast power supply. You do NOT need another one.

Same here, recapped PSU, JVS/Jamma harness and capcom i/o for controls.

Chiming in to say I also run a NetDIMM setup in my Blast with no power issues.

I am running a naomi netdimm setup directly on my (recapped) Blast power supply. You do NOT need another one.
Same here, recapped PSU, JVS/Jamma harness and capcom i/o for controls.
NetDimm was totally fine on my Blast PSU.
Chiming in to say I also run a NetDIMM setup in my Blast with no power issues.
well shit, if I can avoid having more real estate taken up inside the blast city maybe I'll just recap the PSU too.

Back