What's new

skusuma

Professional
Reaction score
Hi All,
I just got Midway Terminator 2 Unit Y arcade PCB set recently and have zero knowledge about wiring Midway arcade system. Please advice what parts I need to get to power the system. Thank you all in advance.

I'll set the system up with an LCD monitor/TV. Currently I have the PCB set (Main/CPU, sound and gun/Coil Lamp Driver boards) and a Revolution X gun.

You have some work ahead of you if you didn’t also buy the wiring harness. You will have a lot more questions if you’re starting at “zero” but I can at least get you started:

https://www.arcade-museum.com/manuals-videogames/T/T2_Judgement_Day_16400091011_Dec_1991.pdf

wiring diagrams are at the very end. It looks pretty crazy, I’d suggest finding the full wiring harness if you can. This looks like a good view of it all https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/midway-terminator-judgement-day-1802373987

Simply powering the main cpu board is the same as normal jamma. Get a regular switching arcade power supply and jamma harness, and plug in the jamma edge. But you’re going to need a lot more than that.

Normally I would say that you require a crt for gun games too, but this does use a fixed gun instead of optical so I do think it will work.

ekorz,

Thank you so much for your help. The pictures from worthpoint.com will definitely help me a lot. Based on the pictures I saw the PCBs only powered by the switching power supply alone. Previously I assumed the gun board needs to be powered from power transformer via P7 but on the gun board picture, P7 isn't plugged with any wiring harness. Do you know which switching power supply can supply 21V?

I've ordered a complete wiring harness from an eBay seller. Hopefully it'll help.

I’m not sure if those photos are completely accurate, they are just to give you a starting point. trust the Manual & wiring diagram. The psu is just a normal arcade psu with +5v, +12v, -5v. But I don’t think -5 is used. I think the coil lamp board is generating 21v. Troubleshooting in the manual says if the guns don’t vibrate then check the fuse on the coil lamp board... so..

More photos http://www.ukvac.com/forum/1991-midway-terminator-2-the-arcade-game_topic346850.html

Last edited:
Ekorz,

Definitely, the manual & wiring diagram should be my main guidance. "I think the coil lamp board is generating 21v", I think so too. It's getting power from the power transformer. But I think the gun board is also receiving +5VDC from PSU so I don't think I need the power transformer to run and play the game. The power transformer is only for the gun solenoid and flash lamps. I think I can get a separate 24V PSU to power the solenoid and flash lamps separately.

Thank you for the photos. Those are more close up.

An lcd will not be able to accurately perform the flashbang bulbs. They are behind the mirror for the sunken monitor. I guess it’s not 100% necessary to play, but I do feel like it’s a standout feature for the game. There’s a whole coil/lamp driver board for it and the recoil on the guns.

And yeah then there’s all the 24v stuff. What kind of cab are you trying to put this pcb set into? Is it an original t2 cab? Does it have the transformer?

"An lcd will not be able to accurately perform the flashbang bulbs", even if we use the same setup using a mirror to reflect the lcd monitor and dual flashlamp board? Is it because of different scan rate between CRD and LCD?

I don't have a T2 cab. I'll set it up on modern TV using RGBS to HDMI converter pcb. I do have a revolution X power transformer but it's huge and heavy. I'm thinking to use a 24V PSU instead and adjust it to 21V for the gun and flashlamp board.

I was thinking you were going to just put an LCD on a table. If you replicate the one way mirror setup with a sunken LCD then it should work. It will be kind of difficult though without the T2 cab?

The 24v on the coil/lamp board if I am remembering correctly comes from the transformer taps directly? I am guessing it's 24V AC not DC? I can double check that when I get back to my T2 cab later if you need.

Does the rev x gun have the red and green LEDs on the top? That's also not strictly necessary to play the game, but again I feel like it is a standout feature of the game.

But I don’t think -5 is used.
I don't have a T2, but on most other Midway X-Unit boards -5v is needed for sound to function.
If you are testing without the sound hooked up you might not realize it because the game will boot up/play (just no sound).

But I don’t think -5 is used.
I don't have a T2, but on most other Midway X-Unit boards -5v is needed for sound to function.If you are testing without the sound hooked up you might not realize it because the game will boot up/play (just no sound).
OWzYR0n_d.jpg

Yeah I think you’re right. I didn’t see it labeled on the wiring diagram but I didn’t look that hard either. But I just found a drawing of the psu in the manual and it has a -5v connection.

looks like it doesn't use -5v? I can double check... my harness later.

Also looks like the 24V is indeed AC.

Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 12.33.51 PM.png

Indeed the image @KaPH33n just linked is what I saw the first time around, but the image I posted is in there too. Hooray documentation!

I was thinking you were going to just put an LCD on a table. If you replicate the one way mirror setup with a sunken LCD then it should work. It will be kind of difficult though without the T2 cab?

The 24v on the coil/lamp board if I am remembering correctly comes from the transformer taps directly? I am guessing it's 24V AC not DC? I can double check that when I get back to my T2 cab later if you need.

Does the rev x gun have the red and green LEDs on the top? That's also not strictly necessary to play the game, but again I feel like it is a standout feature of the game.
Yeah it would be ideal to have T2 cab.

Yes the coil/lamp board is taking 24.5VAC. I just wonder if it's possible to power the gun separately from another 24VDC PSU but adjusted to 21VDC because based on the wiring diagram the gun is taking 21VDC.

I wonder if I can replace Revolution X gun shell with Terminator gun shell and install LED board inside. But I'll do this later on once I'm able to run the game.

Yes the coil/lamp board is taking 24.5VAC. I just wonder if it's possible to power the gun separately from another 24VDC PSU but adjusted to 21VDC because based on the wiring diagram the gun is taking 21VDC.

I wonder if I can replace Revolution X gun shell with Terminator gun shell and install LED board inside. But I'll do this later on once I'm able to run the game.
I don't think so because the guns aren't just taking an "input voltage" per se. There is a small PCB inside for the LEDs to mount to, but all of the components in the guns are common ground and switched voltage, coming from the control board. So you need something that outputs pulses relative to the game timing for the LEDs and recoil solenoids. The pulsing for the guns should happen when you pull the trigger and not when you release the trigger. the game also times the recoil to the shots in the game and when your gun power level decreases the rate of your fire and recoil also decreases.

KaPH33n, thank you for looking up this information for me. Looks like I have to use my Revolution X power transformer to get the game running.

Thank you to all for helping me. I'll post my update once I can get the game to run.

OWzYR0n_d.jpg

Yeah I think you’re right. I didn’t see it labeled on the wiring diagram but I didn’t look that hard either. But I just found a drawing of the psu in the manual and it has a -5v connection.
Has anybody else here noticed that the drawing shows earth ground and +5Volts jumpered together …. 😳 seems to me that would be a really bad no no ….. any thoughts?

Has anybody else here noticed that the drawing shows earth ground and +5Volts jumpered together …. 😳 seems to me that would be a really bad no no ….. any thoughts?
This figure has had me scratching my head, too. I believe this to be errata in the document, much like how the the control panel fuses are nowhere to be seen in the schematics or diagrams.

I went and looked at other Midway games that were released around the same time to compare how their power supplies were shown in their manuals. Strike Force has the same drawing as Terminator 2, showing the +5V source tied to earth ground. However, Total Carnage shows earth ground being tied to DC ground, which makes much more sense in my mind.

Hopefully someone who has experience with these games can weigh in.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220323-155152.jpg
    Screenshot_20220323-155152.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 98
  • Screenshot_20220322-172911__01~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20220322-172911__01~2.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 111
  • Screenshot_20220323-154741~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20220323-154741~2.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 95
Back