What's new
Remember these repro carts are pre-fitted with a standard SH-2 so there will never be a battery installed. That is actually ok since a cart WITHOUT the battery bulge would be a great indicator of a repro cart. :)

Remember these repro carts are pre-fitted with a standard SH-2 so there will never be a battery installed. That is actually ok since a cart WITHOUT the battery bulge would be a great indicator of a repro cart. :)
I suspected that would be the case... I'll definitely made a bulge-less cart housing first as that should be much easier to do. I'll also look into building a case to help facilitate a battery replacement for those interested in going that route.

This is literally a dream come true! I've seen far too many CPS3 systems tossed aside due to busted carts. A few years ago, the local golfland here in my neck of the woods tossed out 3 full 3rd strike set ups into the dumpster because of dead carts.

Though im not proud of the dumpster diving i did that day (moldy pizza + soda == not awesome time), those boards were cleaned and given proper homes with several collector friends of mine at only the cost it took to clean the boards ups.

Hopefully, with something like, we wont see people trashing these boards and they can live on forever
You should be proud! You saved from death 3 CPS3 systems!

We've also make these batch to stop purists from telling that people kill carts because there is no other choice if you want to have a multi....Well, now there is.

Hey DS, any time frame on when we can buy these and how much?

BTW - What is the next multi project that you will be doing?

Great - Only thing stopping me having a dual CPS3 setup is lack of 128M simms, 64M ones I'm fine for but am 2 * 128M short at moment.

Well, the DECO kit is ready, I'm working on a proper menu. Besides that, it works with the thin DECO system but not with the FAT I have to check that.

This is done in parallel to NEO GEO. I believe that DECO will come first, then NEOGEO.

The CPS3 cartridge and SIMMS schemtacis are already done and working so it's just a question of ordering more to the factory. The CPS3 carts will be ready in 1 WEEK. When I recover the money back, then I'll do a big batch of 128Mb and 64Mb SIMMS, so please get your cartridge first and then the SIMMS will come.

Then, the next project is certainly F3 Multi. We should be looking at 2017 already :whistling:

Thank you for the update and for the time/effort you put into all this to make us kids happy :D .

Just getting into cps3 myself. I'll be down for (1) cart pcb depending on price. (8) 128mb and (4) 64mb

I'm not too familiar with the CPS3 hardware, but there's a cheap SF3 NG mobo +cart (no drive) locally, listed as not working - I assume because it needs a drive and has probably suicided. Would this repro cart be necessary, or could I do something with the SF3 cart which I would get (bios mod or something)?

I would need a couple extra simms as well, of course...

You can mod the dead cart to run superbios

ok, I'm OFFICIALLY in the market for a CPS3 board (bare).. I'll have to throw up a LF: thread soon.
I believe I have one, I need to test it though.
Let me know if it works, and if you'd be willing to sell it :D
No worries, if it works its yours, I pulled the simms from it to complete 2 other boards for superbios use so I never tested it. But it should work fine. Just shoot me a PM with offer or if you want to trade something instead, you never know :)

Hey Darksoft,

If $55 is the cost of the Darksoft BIOS mod service, I would expect the cost of the cart would be at least 1.5-to-2x north of the service alone. Also, given enough practice, a user can perform the mod service themselves. At any rate, some in the market for the repro cart have live carts. At some price point, the desire to preserve the authentic medium loses equity vs. the desire to just play the game. Some live carts might just be sacrificed. Of course, that is no fault of anyone; tough often prefixes the word decision for a reason.

I am sure there is a reason the price has not been announced. I also know there is a need to fund your R&D and efforts. But just wanted to add this thought if you hadn't thought about it yourself as you evaluate pricing. Thanks for all you do. Looking forward to next week!

Back