What's new
Guys, jump on these while they last. I already secured my cart.

This is another wonderful hardware development from the Mitsu/DS team at an incredibly awesome price for a brand new cart with DS' superbios.

Dont forget to get a donor cart shell, or wait for Twistedsymphony to release his 3D print shell files.

I got my CPS3 set in over the weekend thanks to Derick2k. I'm nearly half way complete the cart case. I've got to make some adjustments to the front and then I can start working on the back.
Yo. One request here as you are making this. That you design the cart for dual purpose:

1. Housing for the repro cart (you have this covered already)
  2. Can be leveraged as a jig for replacing batteries on live carts
Watching Mitsurugi's video, if one were ever so included to replace their battery on their live carts, they would have to sacrifice the cover from their live carts to do so. If you design the cover so that a portion of the cart can snap off exposing the battery and axial leads, there would be more live carts in the future with intact carts.

Yo. One request here as you are making this. That you design the cart for dual purpose:

1. Housing for the repro cart (you have this covered already)
2. Can be leveraged as a jig for replacing batteries on live carts
Apparently you missed this a few pages back:
... I'll definitely make a bulge-less cart housing first as that should be much easier to do. I'll also look into building a case to help facilitate a battery replacement for those interested in going that route.
;)

I've got the front all dialed in, will start working on the back tomorrow...

Attachments

• cps3_test_4_a.jpg
    cps3_test_4_a.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 412
  • cps3_test_4_b.jpg
    cps3_test_4_b.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 414
  • cps3_test_4_c.jpg
    cps3_test_4_c.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 424
  • cps3_test_4_d.jpg
    cps3_test_4_d.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 421
Then, the next project is certainly F3 Multi. We should be looking at 2017 already :whistling:
Since this was oh so quietly announced, I picked up a Taito F3 before the prices go up on these. Smart?

On a side note, for those that paid for the repro cart, how soon can we expect to receive them?

Back panel complete, just needs a few minor adjustments. hopefully tonight's test print goes well and I can release the files as I'll be gone for the weekend and you'll all have to wait until next week :P

Attachments

• cps3_test_6_a.jpg
    cps3_test_6_a.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 391
  • cps3_test_6_b.jpg
    cps3_test_6_b.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 420
  • cps3_test_6_c.jpg
    cps3_test_6_c.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 402
Sweet!!!! :thumbsup: I kinda like the open battery space. Maybe have the bump out just around the battery? or a slide cover, like the type you see on battery compartments on remotes?

Thats pretty nice print quality for a test. What printer are you using? I was thinking of picking up an ultimaker 2+. My SLA printer is nice, but the freaking resin is so overpriced; besides my nephew has taken over the printer and it has basically become a fixture over at his house, I literally now remote login to the printer and send the print files from my house, I love doing in the middle of the night so the printer starts up while he's asleep :evil: that way maybe he will bring it back.

I kinda like the open battery space. Maybe have the bump out just around the battery? or a slide cover, like the type you see on battery compartments on remotes?
I'm not sure how I'm going to do the battery bump yet, or if I'm even going to bother since these are for the repo carts that don't have a battery and thus don't need the bump... I needed to add the cut out for the test print since I only have the original cart with battery to test with (though my first back cover test print I put the battery cut out on the wrong side lol). if I did make a battery bump version it will definitely need to be a separate piece though.

Hows fitment on the 2 sides you printed?
Great so far, though the latest round of adjustments may or may not change that so we'll see. the cart has a lip and groove all around the parameter to make the two halves lock into each other and there's a jog around the little grips on the sides that's proven to be a real bitch to get right, especially when trying to accommodate the slight ringing/over-extrusion that most 3D printers have in the corners.

Thats pretty nice print quality for a test. What printer are you using? I was thinking of picking up an ultimaker 2+
I'm using a 1st generation RigidBot, printing with a 0.4mm nozzle and 0.2mm layer height... which is really middle-of-the-road in terms of quality. I do tend to print at a slightly slower speed as I find that does a lot for dimensional accuracy.

I've personally had almost no problems with my RigidBot but I know a lot of other people have had issues with the first generation units, it's definitely NOT user friendly though, it was like buying a box of parts with ikea instructions and no software. having had 0 3D printing experience after I bought it and spent 5-hours assembling it I was like... "ok now how do I actually USE this thing" and it took me another day just to figure out what software I needed never-mind how to use it all.

I bought this model because it was $500 and had a nice big 10"x10" build platform

if you have the cash to Spare the Lulzbot TAZ6 looks pretty slick, that's about the only other 3D printer that has made me say "oh I wish mine had those features"... well that and the RigidBot Big which has as 12x16 build platform instead of 10x10... ( just a hair too small on one end to be able to print a full case for a CPS3 board :( ) the RigidBot big was twice the price of the regular version and the TAZ6 is 5x the price so while they'd be nice to have I've never regretted buying the RigidBot.

That repro shell is looking quite fly! Great work there as usual ;)

I have the Dremel3D Idea Builder. Lately I have bought non-dremel filament and it seems to work MUCH better. I had a problem with a severely clogged nozzle due to a rat's nest with the Dremel filament. After a phone call to Dremel support I had it taken apart, fixed, and back together in like 10 minutes. It still isn't a big fan of printing supports but after it's warmed up for a bit it will do flawless back-to-back prints even with supports.

Lately I have bought non-dremel filament and it seems to work MUCH better
I've taken to buying Hatchbox filament simply because it's reasonably priced and I can get it from amazon with prime shipping. it works much better than the "Rigidbot" filament I originally bought with the printer.

So much of this stuff is trial and error though, different models, different filament, even different brands of the same filament can require adjustments to the settings.

I got the 3D models tweaked and everything aligned to my liking. the two halves fit together perfectly and fit perfectly with the original cart housing halves. with the screws snug it has roughly the same insertion force and grip on cart slot on the mobo (at least it feels that way to my hands) and it fits perfectly within the original metal cart clamps. I've adjusted the battery window to accommodate longer batteries that stretch out to the further pin. I've also got the jig variants made and I'm printing a set right now just to make sure it provides all the space where you need it.

I did have to make one more last minute change I tried using a slightly oversized screw and snapped off one of the screw mounts, so I updated the model again to relax the screw hole slightly and reinforce the mounts. so once the jig test is done I'll do another final test print of the normal housing and as long as that comes out good (I so no reason it shouldn't) I'll release the the cart housing models (probably tomorrow morning):
cart housing front
cart housing back
cart housing back with battery window
battery replacement jig front
battery replacement jig back

Back