What's new

obitus1990

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I my NEOGEO MVS system arrived from China today, and, remarkably, it works despite being shipped with zero regard to ESD protection (shipped in regular bubble wrap only and packed into a padded envelope) and crush protection.

As this is new to me, I have a couple of questions. There is a battery on the board. It looks like a coin cell of some sort, but I cannot read the writing on it. Should I remove this battery (much like one would with any retro computer system with an old Varta NiCad battery)? If so, will the board function without it or "suicide" like a CPS2? IF it needs to be replaced, what is the proper battery type for it?

Secondly, I can't get this to sync to an LCD using my OSSC. The OSSC syncs, and shows 264p output over 15 kHz. The image flashes on and off every few seconds on the two LCDs I have tried it on. If I plug it in to a RetroTink (RGB SCART to YPbPr version), and use a Sony CRT television with YPbPr inputs, it syncs and displays fine. I'm guessing this is an LCD incompatibility issue (one is my plasma TV (2005 Panasonic) in my living room, and the other is a Dell U2410 monitor). They are connected to the MVS by the OSSC and HDMI. Are there any settings that one can change in the OSSC to get the video to sync on my two LCDs?

Thanks!

If it's a coin cell it's not as likely to leak, and can be replaced with a new one if needed (rechargeable).

It's safe to remove and only holds BIOS settings like the date and time etc.

Pretty common issue with Neo and OSSC, it has an out of spec refresh rate which some TVs won't tolerate.

I'll remove it...it's some kind of rechargeable coin cell and there was definitely some leakage now that I've gotten a good look at it (solder mask looks crinkled or bubbled in the area, battery legs corroded, one diode on the underside of the battery area fails the diode test). This board has had a good deal of (not great) rework on it, with some paint-on solder mask and some trace repairs. But there are also traces that appear to be damaged elsewhere on the board that were not tended to, likely from really rough handling of the PCB at some point in its life (maybe even during shipping due to the poor packaging). I'm surprised it's functioning at all, honestly.

Back