What's new

Kujako

Grand Master
Reaction score
So I picked up a "17n1" board for the Sega 16B off the eBays for a low price (under $200USD with free DHL shipping that got here in under two weeks). I was a bit trepidatious, but I actually have a similar kit on my CPS1 that uses the same cheap IR remote, so I figure this would be a good option so that I only need to use the one remove for both boards in my multi-PCB cabinet (MVS-25-2 with six Jamma boards in it now. I shoulda just rewired it, but instead I'm running JAMMA to MVS boards. It all kinda snowballed). Anyhow...

The kit. Includes the "B" board with LCD and IR receiver. An IR remote. An unencrypted M68K CPU. A bit of wire. And unexpectedly a Sega to JAMMA adapter (this wasn't listed in the eBay auction).
IMG_0670.jpg

Installation was about what one would expect. Replace the CPU, solder in the wire and pull the chip adjacent to the one the wire solders to if you've got one (my Altered Beast "donor" board did not). All told, took about ten minutes.
IMG_0671.jpg

The game list isn't bad, not all ones I would choose given the option but it includes all my must haves.
  • Shinobi
  • E-Swat
  • Wrestle War
  • Tetris
  • Altered Beast/Jyuohki
  • Cotton
  • Bay Route
  • Aurail
  • Wonder Boy III:Monster Lair
  • Golden Axe
  • M.V.P.
  • Riot City
  • Ryu Kyu
  • Dynamite Dux
  • Sonic Boom
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Flash Point
Changing games is quick and easy, with (seemingly) one button on the remote per game (still building a list of which button is which).

However, these systems have one major draw back. Once the system is powered down it forgets which game it was on. Not a major deal, as I said I have a multi CPS1 with the same setup. Other than not being able to change the games or the order, that's my only complaint. All told I'm into the setup for about $400USD, which is a good deal in my opinion. I won't provide links to where to buy these, if you want one they're not hard to find by searching for 17n1, 17 in 1, or similar permutations. Prices do range all over the place however, from a complete kit with both boards going for upwards of $900 to the steal of a deal I found.

Long term, I may swap this out for a better kit. Ditto for the CPS1. But for now, it does what I want well enough.

I almost bit the bullet on one of these some time ago. They seemed good enough to get the job done.

Nice to see someone else out there gave it a try too :)

I had the same multi. I sold it once I received the @Apocalypse multi and developed the IR remote and OLED game selector screen for it. Mine was from Sheep Nova and dirt cheap, $175 AU dollars shipped.

One thing I'd love to know, mine had two games mixed up. Selecting Sonic Boom would load Shinobi and vice versa. Does yours exhibit this issue?

I had the same multi. I sold it once I received the @Apocalypse multi and developed the IR remote and OLED game selector screen for it. Mine was from Sheep Nova and dirt cheap, $175 AU dollars shipped.

One thing I'd love to know, mine had two games mixed up. Selecting Sonic Boom would load Shinobi and vice versa. Does yours exhibit this issue?
I've not tested all the games yet, but so far they seem to be what they say they are. At a guess, quality control isn't great and someone soldered in your chips in the wrong order? Same seller I believe. He did my CPS1 multi board as well.
IMG_0645.jpg

Both could be better... but hard to beat for the price.

Let's see... I now have a MVS-2F, MVS1B (with Darksoft Multi cart), CPS1 multi, CPS2 multi (Darksoft), Sega STV multi (Darksoft again), Demon Front single PCB and now Sega 16B multi in my cabinet (well I still need to mount a couple of them). So I have all the Cottons!

Let me know when you try.

I went through hell trying to get it resolved with no luck.

Let me know when you try.

I went through hell trying to get it resolved with no luck.
I stepped through the 17 games, and all are labeled & numbered correctly. They are however in a different order than I was expecting.

[Remote layout]
CH-CHCH+
|<<>>|>||
-+EQ
0100+200+

[Games with order number and remote key]
1 (0). Altered Beast/Jyuohki
2 (1). Aurail
3 (2). Bay Route
4 (3). Cotton
5 (4). Dynamite Dux
6 (5). Flash Point
7 (6). Golden Axe
8 (7). M.V.P.
9 (8). Riot City
10 (9). Ryu Kyu
11 (100+). Tetris
12 (200+). Wonder Boy III:Monster Lair
13 (-). Wrestle War
14 (+). Shinobi
15 (EQ). E-Swat
16 (CH-). Fantasy Zone
17 (CH). Sonic Boom

(CH+),(|<<),(>>|) and (>||) are not used.

The number, and an abbreviated game name displays on the LCD. Not tried the four buttons for navigation (wont be using them).

Edit: Weird thing is there are two vertical games in there... seems an odd choice. Not many people have rotatable displays setup.

Last edited:
He just selected games that either didn't need patching or were publicly patched, no other thought process went into it.

With mine game 14 listed Shinobi on the LCD screen but loaded Sonic Boom, and vice versa. I even reprogrammed the menu code with no luck. Must have gotten a dud.

He just selected games that either didn't need patching or were publicly patched, no other thought process went into it.

With mine game 14 listed Shinobi on the LCD screen but loaded Sonic Boom, and vice versa. I even reprogrammed the menu code with no luck. Must have gotten a dud.
I'm guessing the ROM chips were soldered into the wrong space. 17 chips, one per game. I'm guessing the menu information and bank switching is stored elsewhere. So in your case bank/chips 14 and 17 were swapped. If so, should be easy to fix if you're up for surface mount desoldering / resoldering. But if it were me I'd not bother, once it's in the cabinet I'll never see the LCD again. Frankly, they're almost a waste without being able to have them connected via a cable.

You're probably right, re the eproms being reversed. Lydz was very rude and aggressive to deal with which was frustrating.

It's a moot point now as I sold it to someone else.

You're probably right, re the eproms being reversed. Lydz was very rude and aggressive to deal with which was frustrating.

It's a moot point now as I sold it to someone else.
Despite the language barrier, I was able to get my questions answered about the two boards (CPS1 and Sega 16) I have... but my questions were more along the lines of "how does it work" rather than "why isn't it working". But as you said, moot point. I'm happy enough, even if I did have to figure some things out on my own (such as the above remote button mapping, which I still have to do for my CPS1 which has 32 games so is a bit more confusing). I do try to get the better quality multi-kits when I can (I mean, I have three Darksoft products in the one cabinet so far) but these seem really good for the price and ease of installation.

Overall, I'd rate this Sega 16 multi-kit a (B) perhaps a (B+). Good, not great and could be better.

I agree with your evaluation. I obtained this S16 multi well before the Apocalypse multi materialised and it served me well. For its price point it had a lot going for it and the incorporated LCD and IR remote is a nice touch, alongside the included 68K CPU.

It certainly could do with some polish surrounding the LCD display and IR remote behaviour, but all in all it's a good way to play a vast library of S16 games at minimal cost.

That said, having the Apocalypse S16 multi is a much better experience. 32 games, OLED screen with bitmap based artwork, IR remote which can be programmed to any IR remote, separate remote board and attract mode to name but a few of the advantages.

I agree with your evaluation. I obtained this S16 multi well before the Apocalypse multi materialised and it served me well. For its price point it had a lot going for it and the incorporated LCD and IR remote is a nice touch, alongside the included 68K CPU.

It certainly could do with some polish surrounding the LCD display and IR remote behaviour, but all in all it's a good way to play a vast library of S16 games at minimal cost.

That said, having the Apocalypse S16 multi is a much better experience. 32 games, OLED screen with bitmap based artwork, IR remote which can be programmed to any IR remote, separate remote board and attract mode to name but a few of the advantages.
Yeah, I figure worse case I get the Apocalypse later on and will have the needed "unencrypted" 68k CPU from this kit ready.

So I picked up a "17n1" board for the Sega 16B off the eBays for a low price (under $200USD . But for now, it does what I want well enough.
This is about what I expected from this kit from also owning one of those CPS1 multi-PCBs.
Thanks for taking one for the team to the tune of two Franklins!

i don't reccomend Lydz products because, i told him ... his CPS1 multi kit ... was send 2 times for Repair .... A board broke with different parts but with the same issue ... Start button from player 1 gone two times , and second time , C board broke too ... Hammy repair me 2 times the A board comes with his CPS1 multi . Also , CPS1 Lydz's multi working well on my long board (ex quiz -- now daimakaimura resale conversion by aje_fr) ... only game with slow moves was area88 ... so , if you need help from Lydz sometimes , forget about it ! i will wrote a comment on Lydz cps1 theard .. to help other guys to get a good decision . I paid a fortune for his 51 in 1 multi , and cause me only problems :(

i don't reccomend Lydz products because, i told him ... his CPS1 multi kit ... was send 2 times for Repair .... A board broke with different parts but with the same issue ... Start button from player 1 gone two times , and second time , C board broke too ... Hammy repair me 2 times the A board comes with his CPS1 multi . Also , CPS1 Lydz's multi working well on my long board (ex quiz -- now daimakaimura resale conversion by aje_fr) ... only game with slow moves was area88 ... so , if you need help from Lydz sometimes , forget about it ! i will wrote a comment on Lydz cps1 theard .. to help other guys to get a good decision . I paid a fortune for his 51 in 1 multi , and cause me only problems :(
Sorry to hear that... so far I've not had any issues with either board. But I wasn't expecting the greatest quality.

I’ve got both lydz boards too and never had a problem with either and both have gotten a lot of play, cps1 multi is in one of my cabs since I got it and played every day, really excellent never missed a beat, guess you got a duff one

I’ve got both lydz boards too and never had a problem with either and both have gotten a lot of play, cps1 multi is in one of my cabs since I got it and played every day, really excellent never missed a beat, guess you got a duff one
It sounds like the quality has been a bit hit or miss over the years. In talking to the seller, I did make sure I got the "new" revision. Some of them apparently lack the IR remote, which would be a PITA. Which does bring me back to my main complaint. They don't remember the last game they were set to, and lose all soft settings on reset. Makes it hard to setup free-play etc. Ah well, not a big deal. I need to wire up a coin button in one of the old security mount holes on my cabinet, problem solved. But that's a "tomorrow" project.

Todays project was mounting the Sega 16B board into my cabinet to the left of the CPS1 multi (so the remote can be picked up in the same area).
IMG_0673.jpg
The "frankin-mvs" project continues... need to do some cable management.

Yeah I got the remote with the sys16 board and I just leave it inside the coin door and press what I want (mostly shinobi/cotton/fantasy zone) but the cps1 I have to change it manually but it’s lying on the bottom on a u4 so easy open the door and change it but would be much better if it remembered the last game

Yeah I got the remote with the sys16 board and I just leave it inside the coin door and press what I want (mostly shinobi/cotton/fantasy zone) but the cps1 I have to change it manually but it’s lying on the bottom on a u4 so easy open the door and change it but would be much better if it remembered the last game
In my case, both boards use the same remote. Which is kind of convenient and was definitely a factor in my decision to get the Sega 16 kit. Right now I just point it in the coin slot door, but I have a 12v IR repeater I'm going to wire up sooner or later so I can keep everything closed up.

Back