What's new

xb74

Grand Master
Reaction score
Does anyone have sure fire tips for cleaning the arcade filth off a CPS2 B board case?

I am talking about the plastic discolouration deep filth not merely stubborn supercial stains.

I have tried Windex, Mould killer, furniture cleaner and hand sanitizer. None of that even made a dent.

Start schooling me, Please.

Simple Green works wonders. May not help if it’s sun damaged or severely discolored but will get it clean.

Co-sign on the Simple Green, but that’s just for surface marks.

For deeper discoloration issues perhaps Novus 1-2-3 or magic erasers would work. They work wonders on PGM shells, but I assume that they would buff out the texture of a CPS-2 shell? Proceed with caution or maybe others have tried?

This is what my boards look like. It probably is a combination of nicotine stains and general discolouration caused by...?

https://imgur.com/a/sF9r3jn

When I start doing cleaning using the above mentioned products I will report back with my successes for others to follow

CPS2 cases are ABS plastic. While some of the grime you’re seeing is actual dirt and possibly nicotine, it’s likely that the deeper staining is caused by the bromine in the plastic. This is just like you’d see in the cream plastics of the 80s and 90s (Amiga, Atari ST, SNES...) where they turn yellow.

I’ve heard of people using Retr0bright or similar peroxide cream methods on coloured plastics, such as an indigo GameCube, which apparently improved the appearance of the plastic without affecting the colour.

Obviously, there is the debate about the permanency of using such bleaching agents, as in some instances the staining may return. There is also a theory that using them can weaken the plastic, although in my experience, ABS can weaken over time anyway.

I’ve not tried it with CPS2 cases myself, I just live the the fact that the plastic will discolour as it ages.

I do think that keeping them in a cool environment will slow the discolouration more effectively that keeping them out of the sunlight; it’s just that generally, where there is sunlight, there is heat! I’ve had other plastics that have been kept in the dark, but they have still yellowed because of the heat.

If anyone happens to try Retr0bright/peroxide cream on a CPS2 case, I’d be interested in seeing the results.

Co-sign on the case repainting. Seen some great examples of that.

I agree with the repainting suggestion. I have many Amiga 500/1200/600 computers, and some of them just won't lighten appreciably with even multiple retrobrighting sessions. Those either get left yellow, or, if the retorbrighting worsened the appearance (splotchy), I paint them.

This one looks really good...

CPS2 Customized.jpeg

They look awesome!

How'd you handle the labels? Carefully peel them off and reapply?

I have tried twice to remove original labels from CPS-2 cases and failed. If anyone knows a secret, I’m all ears :)

I've done it with a hairdryer and great patience, working ever so slowly, but it requires more effort than I'm prepared to put in!

Be nice if someone made replacement serial sticker labels.

Sometimes the cases are so badly discoloured, scratched or cracked that the only option is filler and repainting.
For filler I recommend tamiya putty, I've used it on a few cases now.
The serial number decal comes off fairly easily with a hairdryer and a sharp knife to lift one corner, use double sided tape to re-apply.
The main decal only ever comes off in bits, leaving it to soak in warm water helps.

The case I'm working on next is an unrepairable Rev 3 A+B with extensive acid and general corrosion damage and much case abuse ... who uses a CPS2 as a cutting mat!

My current Darksoft CPS2

W_9DB41qNqY_QZl0MQ-Dd1tOOkWnCNRXJrQ65uHam6-R=w1000.jpg

oDCQ-oubdR1yh57Qyo_yDsUnja-P203QfEMd8Dol_NJH=w1000.jpg

Last edited:
Back