What's new
Same Question - are some people getting local car repairers to paint their cases or how are you achieving the finish as a DIY?

Yeah mine was just stock standard rattle paint.

Once I filled mine with car filler, I sanded it down and moulded it as best as I could.. Rough sand with some 300 grit sand paper, I then primed a couple of coats with a west sand with 800 grit in between coats.

Both paints were 3 coats iirc with no gloss as they were already glossy.

This is actually a pretty easy paint job to be honest.

This one looks really good...

CPS2 Customized.jpeg
I wanted this purple so bad, but I couldn't find the colour in AU.

I tried this paint from supercheap

rBi0ZkX.jpg

At first it looked OK...

d5DR8dh.jpg

But the end result looked crap, just too dark and wasn't pleasant to look at

DCmMKe8.jpg

I'm glad I ended up with the red as I'm really happy with it.

IQddp7f.jpg

What can did you use for the red @mR_CaESaR... it really pops. Also @xb74, might be worth looking into Ironlak cans?

I really like that red case. Makes me wanna paint one of the extra grey cases I have.

I really like that red case. Makes me wanna paint one of the extra grey cases I have.
Me too. I have a few spares, once the warmer weather kicks in (winter here now) I think I'll get creative.

whether you paint or not
its important to give it a good cleaning
I just give them a nice soapy bath!

@Frank_fjs do you remember what grit wet n dry sandpaper you used?

I am using 1000 and am still having trouble removing some stains.

I've done it with a hairdryer and great patience, working ever so slowly, but it requires more effort than I'm prepared to put in!

Be nice if someone made replacement serial sticker labels.
Noodleshirt - he's repro'd a couple for me and they're perfect. I got him to print a C&Ds label for @djsheep too and it's spot on.

this is my CPS2. i washed it by hand in sink.
brought it to the car shop.
they sanded it, put bondo filler in the scratches and cracks.
Painted it with sparkly car paint!

Attachments

• EZK2u1KUcAEWHdT.jpg
    EZK2u1KUcAEWHdT.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 210
  • EZK2u1MUEAEwtMA.jpg
    EZK2u1MUEAEwtMA.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 212
Massive co-sign for Noodleshirt. Fantastic work!

Reporting back;

I gave wet and dry sandpaper and Novus 1,2,3 multiple thorough attempts. I used them independently and together and on multiple boards.

There was little overall difference unfortunately (blue and grey boards btw).

(Strangely enough, none of my green boards have the discolouration at all).

If I had a buffing brush for my drill I would have attempted that as well. Hard to say if that would have made a huge impact - as it does indeed seem like the marks are discolouration and not merely surface stains.

+1 for painting over.

The cases are made of a material that discolours as it ages much like old consoles - if you want to restore you really need to paint them instead

@mR_CaESaR has had really good results with painting his

It should work. I've done it to a grey Saturn console with success.

Depends on the condition of the plastic though, sometimes painting is a nice option as you can sand, primer out any scratches and finish off with gloss for a nice shiny finish.

I think it'll work well, as long as we get some sunshine. :)

I clean up a lot of game consoles with plastic shells and heres some of the things I use.

- Wurth "BMF" cleaner (like soap but much better) with warm water and an old toothbrush.
- If MBF doesnt work, scratching stains with a strong fingernail whilst covered in BMF or soap can help.
- If above doesnt work I use these small micro abrasive squares which I get from Daiso (japanese stuff store) which you soak in water and rub over the stain to remove it.
- Finally wet/dry sandpaper if all else fails.

Soaking in BMF for 10mins and using a fingernail almost always works unless its a bad stain.

SOme of the CPS2 shells in this post which have been filled/sanded and painted look amazing!!!

Back